THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are in a muddle. Your head says no limp and I should be fine. Don't forget something. Remember how your glutes were after hip opp. They groaned, moaned and screamed at you. Now remind me how long has it been either no movement or v little for those foot muscles and tendons etc. I would go to the pool. Lie on your back meditate let the water sooth you. Is there a sauna or jaquzie there to also use.
Try the walking boots for five then ten minutes etc. Also how is Achilles as it prob is stiff do the foot slide backwards, foot flat and slide it back with hands on wall, chair etc. I bet you feel the calf then. Slow and easy does it pal.

Legin THR Sep 14

Hi @copsham, I've just caught up with your thread and am so pleased that your new hip is doing so well now the strain of the broken foot has come off it. I loved the list of what you can now do better - I laughed in recognition at the way you used to bend down to pick stuff up - I do it so slowly so as not to jag the arthritic hip that I look like a robot!

Great advice from Legin about exercise and doing it gradually and not being hard on yourself - you have had a hell of a year and are doing well in spite of it. I don't think you'll be on crutches at Christmas now, do you? The NHS don't usually spring an op on you without quite a lot of notice. Be great to get your ironwork out though - I had a wired up elbow back in 2012 (some muppet in a BMW knocked me off my bike and broke my elbow) and the residual pain went after they took the wires out.

Take care x

Hi @Legin
Thanks for asking about my foot / metal in it. Just realising my pattern, which is get keen on this that and the other to aid recovery, then get despondent, then confused then eventually get to an equilibrium.

With my foot I have not reached the equlibrium yet. I am continuing to have problems with bending my foot but excercises are helping it improve in miniscule ways. Cannot walk more than 50m as the flat unbending foot affects my lower back. The surgeon to my suprise suggested leaving the metal in "as it is doing so well" I am not sure but will discuss again in next appointment in January.

I had another fall but so lucky that I did hurt myself. I was up early and it was still dark so was looking at the moon and stars with the light off. It is pitch black here as we are really rural. Suddenly splat I had fallen over a pile of books on the floor. It was a bit of "deja vue" but fortunately just a little bruise on the knee. My wonderful hip survived this my second fall without a murmur of complaint - good ol' hip. My hip remains so much improved, no problems to report there. I am very lucky.

I am going to the "gait analysis" which was mentioned in a Bonesmart post see if I can learn anything that will help my foot and lower back.

Have you seen Northern lights in Kinross? or anywhere else for that matter?

I am going to wales next week to the area where @Nana moon 27 has her caravan. So poor internet reception for a week.

Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have fun out there in no internet reception land! Try to stay up on your feet.. that's my worst fear and I know it's your's too. But you've done that already so no more!
I would want that metal out of my foot,, just my measly 2 cents worth. :flwrysmile:

Hi Have a wonderful time up there @copsham. So. Glad you survived that fall. It's so nice to hear such positivity about your hip. That is just fabulous ((((hugs))) xxx

I'm sorry I've not been in much of late but have a lot going on right now. Trying to get ready present wise for Christmas before we go away on 22nd. I feel like I'm on a hi speed merry go round. Not nice.

Got appointment Tues at the hospital for my hearing at last. I'm driving everyone mad with "can you say that again or I'm sorry I didn't catch what you said". The worst is when I hear nothing and they're going mom, mom are you ok.

Anyway must go. Have a lovely break. You're doing soooooo well!!! Xxx

Love Nana Moon 27 xx

Hi all
I went to the GaitSMART gait analysis session today, as promoted on this thread. It was really helpful to actually see the positives as well as the area of my walking that needs attention. It was all very quick with sensors velcro'd over my trousers a few minutes walking, producing a print out giving the analysis. So a bit of clarity about what to focus on.
A big bonus was that I met @Ellejay and @Kelpie so lovely to meet cyber friends!

That gait analysis sounds well worth it - I've heard of it for runners but what a great idea for joint replacement recoverers - it feels like you've just learned to walk! I haven't been able to get on here for 2 weeks cos of technical issues with Bonesmart and my server, but good to catch up on you and have you had a date to get that metalwork out yet?

At my last appointment the consultant did not want to take the metal out "as it is not giving any problem". I have been trying to ignore it, have got back to swimming regularly and going to an excellent physio. Suddenly three days ago I felt like the signals from brain to foot were suddenly working again. No discomfort just normal walking - so exciting. BUt I would prefer the metal out as it sort of sticks out on the top of my foot in a hump and very limited shoes I can wear. Will discuss it on my next appointment and if necessary use my private insurance. But it is a relief to feel that there is a future where I can go for walks if not mountain climbs. We both seem to be on the upward stretch. For me its 11 months since hip op and 5 months since the foot op so its been quite a year getting to this homeward stretch. Keep posting when you get the chance.
Take care

@copsham Great to hear that you are on the homeward stretch with both your hip and your foot and looking forward to taking walks again.I am so looking forward to getting out for walks again and hoping that come spring this may become a reality again as I had my second hip replaced at the end of September and taking a very slow approach to recovery to avoid the tendinitis I had with the first one.The Gait Analysis sounds like something we could all do with after joint replacement but Welyn Garden City was too far for me to travel.Did you make any changes following the assessment ?

Glad to hear you are on the "upward stretch" @copsham . You have been through a lot and deserve some normal pain free years. Have a merry christmas and a peaceful new year.

Hi @Granny Di Thanks for your post. I am truly grateful for my progress. There were times when I thought it would never happen! Thank you for your support and by the way love you bird avatar.
I don't know where I would be without bonesmart too

Hi @Kim22
Thanks for post. Yes following the gait analysis I started walking more purposfully in a marching heel toe sort of movement with my THR leg rather than slightly swinging my hip around (well I know what I mean!!) The change in movement which followed swimming x 2 in the previous week and a good physio session led to a spurt of not thinking about my ankle, hip, foot. It was so good for the first time in 6 months. Getting to that made me realise even though I was not in real pain that constant niggle grinds you down.

You are right that we all could do with the gait anaysis before and after THR TKR etc. It was so simple and maybe on the edge of being marketed widely but not yet. They are talking about doing an app for mobiles so eventually maybe?

( @SteveGS )

Just popped in to see how you are doing @copsham
So glad that things are getting better for you with both your hip and foot.....I guess it's just about giving it all time whilst doing as much as you can to move it on!!! The gait analysis sound so helpful.
Hope you have a fab Christmas & that everything finally falls into place for you during 2016. Take care...Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Thank you for your lovely email @Hoppy Nanny. Well we certainly all learnt a lot and gave a lot in 2015. Hopefully 2016 will bring us lots of suprises.

@copsham I am so glad that you have got so much benefit from your pool walking and the gait analysis and I really hope that they are able to have another session but further north so I will be able to attend.Once Christmas is over I intend to try getting into a pool for a little bit of swimming but mainly to walk.I used to walk forwards, backwards and side ways to try and strengthen all the different muscle groups.Do you do any exercises or stretches in the pool? I couldn't get in or out of the pool via a ladder so the public baths are out but there is a lovely pool with steps on our caravan park and we are going up just after New Year.If it goes well I will find a hotel near to home with a similar pool.You have been through so much to get to this point in recovery so you must be so thrilled to be getting active again.

Like you I cannot manage a ladder in to or out of a pool. I got stuck a few weeks ago when with out thinking took little grandson swimming to the local public baths, just about managed to get in and then embarassingly could not get out. I had my 5 yrs old g/son saying "common nanny, you can do it"!! (I did eventually)

I tend to do one or two lengths in crawl and one or two lengths walking a local hotel. This is really good for me.
What part of UK are you and your caravan park? I have lived in London nearly all of my life but recently moved out to the Chilterns. Quite a contrast - was brilliant for my recovery period being out of London but I do miss it.

I had 3 perfect days but today a bit achy - my expectations are rising!

I am so pleased to hear that you have had 3 perfect days.If you have been more or less pain free you have probably done more than your body is used to and that's why you are feeling a bit achy.I have read on here that most of us experience an increase in discomfort after doing something new for the first time.

I live in a village in County Durham about 7 miles west of Durham City.The caravan park is situated in a little village called Seahouses which is on the north Northumberland coast, just along the road from the beautiful Bamburgh castle.We bought the caravan for the lovely walking both on the coast and in the Cheviots which is also very close by I would love to get back to doing long walks but I may have to be happy with shorter ones with few inclines.My first hip stopped me walking from 2011 due to a torn labrum I finally had the RTHR in 2013 after a failed arthroscopy.The recovery was complicated by iliopsoas tendinitis which took months to heal and then the other hip went into decline hence the LTHR and my very cautious approach to recovery.I hope that come spring we are both able to take lovely country walks again.

I know the Chilterns very well as I lived in Stokenchurch when my kids were small in fact they were both born in High Wycombe.I remember viewing a very small but lovely little cottage in Radnage but someone else got in before us.It is very beautiful with stunning walks.We used to love Christmas Common which wasn't far from our village.I can imagine that it is very peaceful in comparison to London but the trains are so much faster than they used to be so it won't take you long to be back there.

Hiya Coppers you seem to be forging ahead. Well done lass. Re.me I will post on my thread.in full. Kim I know Seahouses really well its grand there. Nae getting stuck on Holy Island now, I mean what numpty would do that.......

Legin THR Sep 14

Hi @Legin dont tell me that you got stuck on Holy Island and had to wait hours for the tide to recede ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back