THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an inclination there were errr trials for you. You are getting there just there are a few more hurdles but soon I'm sure you will be doing a grand riverdance.
Sorry I had a pic of you with that I'm not happy look and hubby putting his ARP hat on. I know I'm bad. Have a grand weekend lass, go look for conkers to smack of my head

Legin THR Sep 14

Yep, how right you are - ARP hat def needed at one point!! Bad, because he is 99% supportive. Off to see new James Bond movie with nephew later today, a bit of escapism.

My mother with dementia who is normally really placid and docile (too much) has suddenly changed to being really stroppy - a bit of a shock. She commanded me to "get my dinner now!" then said "oh no its you and your foot again!" On one level she has taken 88 yrs to stand up for her self but on the other level I am the only one who has consistently supported her through thick and thin. Oh well!

How is your man with dementia? Is he still thriving?

Yep, how right you are - ARP hat def needed at one point!! Bad, because he is 99% supportive. Off to see new James Bond movie with nephew later today, a bit of escapism.

My mother with dementia who is normally really placid and docile (too much) has suddenly changed to being really stroppy - a bit of a shock. She commanded me to "get my dinner now!" then said "oh no its you and your foot again!" On one level she has taken 88 yrs to stand up for her self but on the other level I am the only one who has consistently supported her through thick and thin. Oh well!

How is your man with dementia? Is he still thriving? I bet you are as positive as ever with him.

Hello Copsham

Thought I'd drop by and see how you're doing. I'm sorry to see you're have the rollercoaster recovery at the moment. I do so feel for you.

I hope that all goes well having the hardware removed and it brings some relief to you xx

That feeling of going backwards in recovery is both depressing and worrying. I've been there. Honest though, eventually you will get better and better xx it just takes a longer time than some.

Sending you a (((big hug))) and hope you feel better really soon

Love Nana moon 27 xx

Hello @copsham I've just caught up on your thread. Haven't been on here for a while and sorry to see what trials that foot is still putting you through. Hope gorgeous Daniel Craig took your mind off everything at the flicks yesterday, I want to see that this week. Big hugs, Isolde xxx

Hi @Nana moon 27
This up and down in recovery is hard. I was in my head planning how I would deal with an other op and plaster cast on my foot then yesterday it improved a lot - bit of a mad woman at the moment.

Hi @isolde
Thanks for post. The film was fantastic. Sitting on the end of my seat from the beginning with the action and tension. Daniel Craig was just so ....... I don't know what to put but he was. No harm in dreaming! Hope you get to see it soon. A profound thought does the fog affect the trains?

Take care all x

Hiya Coppers chortle oh I know hubby is your rock. My chap, I'm on holiday right now, just staying at home. He is in a home whilst his wifff is on respite a planned holiday. I'm visiting him later in the week. I plan to make at least two visits to see how he is and as he calls me the boy wants to see him.

Legin THR Sep 14

Hi @copsham, are you sure you have to have a plaster cast after the metalwork comes out? The bones will have healed won't they? Be great if you didn't. The fog doesn't affect the trains, just makes it hard work for the drivers! In Britain we learn all our routes so we know where we are in all weather conditions, but obviously you need to concentrate really hard in the fog to drive to your mental map! I'm sitting at home sympathising with my buddies, as I've had to go sick. The pain in my un-operated hip has got so bad I have to take Tramadol, and so not allowed to drive. Got the op on 3rd December so just over 4 weeks. Looking forward to it and dreading going through all that again in equal measures at the moment!

Re plaster caste - I had severe pain in foot and was surmising that it might need resetting and therefore plaster caste. Now that pain has gone the metal work out should be straightforward, have had contradictory medical advice that I need to rest for a day after it or be non weight bearing for 2 weeks. What ever I will not complain!

Sorry to hear about the pain. Good that the op is planned but intrepidation too doubt. You will just have to stock up on Daniel Craig DVD's to take your mind of it.

It's interesting to know about the trains - as its something I know nothing about - just get on one and expect it to arrive, know nothing about the behind the scenes. Rail companies should do a behind the scenes tour would be intriging to me!

Look after yourself whilst you prepare for your op.

@copsham hello! I am trying to catch up with posts on here and gosh, I've missed quite a bit with you.
I am so sorry to hear about the continued problems with your foot.
I had a crush fracture of my left elbow and had to have quite a bit of gear placed to stabilize it. In fact it took 3 more surgeries to rearrange and then the last surgery, to remove it all. Same thing, the elbow couldn't support and work well with it remaining inside.
After all of the gear removed ( plate, wire, pins and screws) my healing and ROM picked up quickly. now, not overnight, but there was a distinctly different feel to the joint and less pressure and pinching.
Im just so sorry you have had to go through all of this. But for the most part with a smile on your face. That is the sign of a good person. Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Hi Copsham

Popped into see how you are doing sorry to hesr things haven't been great, Fingers and toes crossed that you will have the same outcome as Crickethip and you will recover quickly. Big hugs all the way from Scotland x

Billy

Catching up also and hoping it all goes well with you. Hugs from Canada.

Hello @CricketHip poor you with your elbow, glad it is okay now, parallel experience it seems. I think having the so called "hardware" out will be so much for the better. Can't wait, should be beofre Christmas. I had a difficult 2 weeks a few weeks ago, quite painful then realised it was because of the particular trainers that I had taken to wearing, much more flimsy with less support. Now that I am wearing more substantial trainers I feel pretty good.

Hi@forbesy lovely to hear from an "oldie". Have you recovered from your house move? All okay at work?

Hi @Granny Di I just flicked back to your thread to catch up how you are doing now. You had commented about the severe difficulty having thr xray pre op. Things like that make you realise how far we have developed post op:

1. Pre op I had to bend down very carefully, awkwardly and slowly if I needed to pick something up from floor or ask some one to do it for me, now I do it without thinking.
  2. Pre op I would be moving around on the car seat trying to get my hip comfortable while driving, now totally comfortable.
  3. Pre op could not stand still for a second, now can stand in queues without thinking
So all in all my hip is good and well loved by me. My foot is still rollercoastering around but a lot better, so I have lots to be grateful for. So thank you GrannyDi for prompting me to think like this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup it is a good form of assessing ourselves and recovery. On an icky note when is the metalwork to be removed.

Legin THR Sep 14

You ask a good question @Legin. The consultant originally said 4-5 months after op and it is four months now but junor doctors felt there was "no rush" and did not want to consider it til 6 months. I had to push to have outpatient appt bought forward (30th Nov). The consultant was clear that it needed to be taken out as the plate is too big for my foot and too near the surface - I am happy to take his advice but amazingly the junior doctors do not seem to read the notes. I can feel like a vibration feeling coming from the metal when I walk. Oh well I want it as soon as possible but as it will entail 2 weeks "no weight bearing" I do not want it just before Christmas.

Hope all is well or at least as well as it can be your end.

@copsham well, I won't lie to you. After the final removal ( I had 3 surgeries where they removed and rearranged hardware to help the healing) I am glad I didn't have to walk on that arm, and I was discouraged with it for the first few months, but then it started to turn around and become a strong and wonderful arm again.
Im sure you will be saying that, too. We have to keep pushing on, yes?
Re: crutches at Christmas, I initially thought why not and get it over with? Then I remembered just how long you've been on crutches and "laid up" this past year.. yes, you deserve a holiday without crutches! :flwrysmile:

Thanks @CricketHip for your thoughts - it is a long ®oad but I know I will get there. Did you get back to massaging after that?

I actually wasn't a massage therapist at that point. I was dental assisting! And worked for 5 months with a huge cast.
I had no idea that I would recover enough to return to school for such a physical career but it all worked out well.
It will for you, too!

Hi@forbesy lovely to hear from an "oldie". Have you recovered from your house move? All okay at work?

Couldn't get much of the house done as the father in law took quite ill in early August and passed in late September and was cremated in early October, starting to get on top of things eventually and with what happened to me I am very careful climbing stairs. Hang in there Copsham.

Billy

Hi @forbesy You have been through the wars - hopefully a straightforward time ahead.

I am up and down. Yesterday I tried on a pair of walking boots to wear them for an hour around the house to see if I can get back to using them. My logic was that they would support my foot injury as they are fairly rigid. But the opposite was the case. They gave me a lot of pain but fortunately it subsided with in a couple of hours.

My hip has been good. Now that I am not in a cam boot for my foot and not limping it has had a chance to get better again. I am really grateful for this.

I have tried swimming which I love but it made my foot agony for a day and difficulty walking for a week, so feel very unexercised. I really should do some so called "upper cardio" but have just not got the motivation.

Will need the metal in my foot taken out soon not sure if it is before Christmas or not - even though it is a comparitively small procedure I am so scared!

Any way I have lots to be grateful for - especially my now good hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie