THR copsham's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

copsham

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well I had my hip op last Friday. All over quickly but then had all sorts of allergies to morphines and codeine. I felt giddy, and sickly and heady. It was horrible. I came home on Tuesday and now that I am having paracetamol only I fell a lot better. I unfortunately had a nurse who was quietly vicious, moving me before I was ready and quite rough.

Now at home I feel quite busy with exercises, laying with legs raised to get rid of water retention, remembering different medication 4 times a day, getting enough sleep, taking small walks BUT at least I am going in the right direction.
Thank you to this forum for helping me to prepare!

Welcome to the other side! Sorry to hear about your allergies etc., but it sounds like you are on your way now. I just had my second one done on the 19th.

RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015

Hello welcome glad you.could join us

Legin THR Sep 14

Thanks for reply NuMe. So I am 5 days ago and you are 2 days ago (???!!!) amazing really especially when you think of the bones being sawn and screws put in. I am so pleased to be home and have tried to plan for lots of things to do but on day two at home I wonder how patient am I going to be. It looks from other posts that patience is essential and that is not my best attributes!! Still I am glad to have found bonesmart!

I learned all about patience with my first replacement last Sept. It' s definitely a learning curve. Honestly the first 3 weeks my body needed the rest to heal. I slept, did my physio and walking, and ate small meals and that was all.

RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015

It really is but you will have a reminder if you don't -pain. Blunt but true sorry. These first few days you.will probably think omg all I.do.is.sleep. Body healing itself time. As you.said hard to.comprehend what has been.done to us. But then.pain and multitude of bruises are testament enough.
Good luck and take.care

Legin THR Sep 14

Glad you are doing well @copsham

Sounds like one nasty nurse!! Glad your new med regime is working well for you too.

That patience thing! It's a hard one .....I got the patience in the end....it's very necessary to your recovery as we all want to be

Up and about back to normal as soon as possible. Take it easy...Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

congrats 24.jpg
@copsham, you are now an
3 official hippie.jpg
!

As you can see, I have moved your posts and replies since your surgery to the Hip Replacement Recovery forum. If you would prefer some other title for your thread, just let me know what you'd like, and I'll be more than happy to change it for you.

Want to share the following information with you so that you can have the best possible recovery"

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

The articles are not lengthy, and will answer a lot of your questions. Also, don't hesitate to check the library for many other excellent informative articles.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Hi Bottomshollow,
Thank you for putting all my bits and pieces in one thread. I had not taken time to learn what was where as I was too preoccupied/anxious with my forth coming operation.

It has been the second day at home. My confidence is very up and down. When I get in a stride with my two walking sticks and no pain it feels good but then when I didn't concentrate and did an exercise wrong It hurt!! I suppose it will all hang together soon.

What does everyone do to occupy their many hours in the future. At the moment I just want to sleep and potter on the laptop. I seem busy, taking meds, showering, sleeping and exercising so not time for much else. In time I hope I will be able to sit and write up family history (being careful with the positioning of my legs - 90'- at the table). I can't envisage being at home, not driving for so many weeks!!

Thanks everyone for support so freely given!

Karen

Hi all - This Hippie is feeling very sorry for herself! The third night did not go too well. First two nights I slept downstairs on the sofa bed, near downstairs bathroom with hubby sleeping on the other sofa. The sofa bed is a single and it felt easy to stop me turning. This worked well for me but very uncomfortable for hubby so third night we gravitated to our normal bedroom. I was really scared of turning over I put a pillow between my legs and a rolled up fleece along my "good" side. Then I was worried about taking up too much room and Hubby was worried about accidentally hurting me. Then at 5 in the morning while asleep I did a big turn to be on my side. Ouch it hurt!! The pillows stopped me turning fully over but it still hurt a lot and we are both exhausted.

How do I manage the night, ensuring I do not turn in my sleep?????

This morning I have a hydrotherapy appointment which will be lovely and really beneficially but I feel so tired I feel like putting it off. One thing that is working is my pain meds. Due to sensitivities and allergies all I can have is paracetamol and 2 x 4times per day is working well.

Does the morphine stay in your brain for a few days? I have had the strong image of Margaret Thatcher during the UK miners strike declaring " this lady's not for turning!" I need to be saying the same but for a different reason!

Oh well no doubt it is surmountable I will browse Bonesmart and see what I can find.

Hello to the UK hippies who are just stirring or those across the globe who are going to bed/in bed.

Karen

Hi Legin thanks for welcoming emails. It is hard to imagine the world in s few months time- looks like you are 3-4 months ahead of me. Are you reaping the rewards of it yet? Eveything seems so so variable.

Karen

Yes and no. I.suffered nerve trauma in the.opperation resulting.in a.dead foot. It is slowly coming back. But hey no.hip pain like before. At.work I.was.banned from carrying a.mug.of coffee as jolted walk and.ow meant the.floor got more coffee than.me. Re bed I stayed on sofa for three weeks. Bed was v sore and one.time I.went down.stairs nose first. Landed on head so no.worries of damage. Its strange we get comfirtable ish in the day.yet at night it seems like trying to find pot of gold at end of rainbow. Snooze when you can as.you need sleep. Take care

Legin THR Sep 14

My approach was the day is 24 hours, as long as i got my 8 or so hours it didnt matter when. My only goal the first 10 days was to rest, nothing else was a concern. I also canceled 2-3 different appointments because i didnt feel up for it.
Find your path, find what works for you. It is your assignment during this process.
I am also glad you have your pain controled. We all deserve to be pain free after dealing with pain for so long pre-op!!
Get that rest, trust the messages your body sends to you!:rofsign:

Thanks Legin and Kfenn. I know it is just a matter of giving in to the sleep, doing as much of it as possible at what ever time. I do find it hard to give in to it and not be up and about! A new word to me is "patience"!!:rofsign:

Yeah, we all fall somewhere in between what we know, and what we do. Saying it and hearing it, and writing it can only help.

don't forget sleep time is.healing time tiz.why the.old eyelids.keep.getting heavy so.don't.fight it.

Legin THR Sep 14

Don't fight the sleep issues. If you are not sleeping well at night (very common after this surgery) nap as much as you can during the day.

I found it useful to keep a chart of my medication. Keeping track of when you take meds can be hard when your head is still "foggy" with recovery.

Thanks every one! Time is going quickly. I have had 4 days in hosp followed by 5 days at home. Most days I can see some improvement. My technicolour bruising is going down. Walking with two sticks is getting easier. I have followed the advice and sleep when ever I can in the day but I am finding the nights difficult.

Despite pain being well controlled, I just can't sleep on my back. Have tried everything pillows and cushions in all places but just get a few hours here and there. I sometimes move in my sleep and come to with a jolt. I am drinking so much water that I have to get up in the night and all in all the nights are not restful.

My grandson aged 4 made me laugh today when he saw me for the first time with two walking sticks. He wanted one and told me "You must share things". He then said "come on lets have a race" The walking stick then became a fishing rod and the a pneumatic drill. Oh to be young and so easily pleased.

I will be having my metal staples out in a couple of days. What is that like?

Also my brain fog is coming and going. I thought that was due to the anaesthetic - how long does or can this go on. Any ideas?

sleep,can't 5.jpg
sleep, can't 9.jpg
Welcome to Recovery 101, @copsham. Back sleeping is difficult for most of us, and sleeping at night is almost impossible for some of us. I spent far more time in my recliner than I did my bed for the first 2 months. You just have to accept that this is the way things are going to be for a while. I watched a lot of mind numbing TV those first 8 weeks because reading was out of the questions.

As long as you're taking your max pain med prescription, brain fog will continue off and on. I couldn't concentrate long enough to do more than skim a newpaper or just look through a magazine. I couldn't even work a crossword puzzle.

You just have to cat nap every chance you get and be prepared to be up in the wee hours. BUT---it does get better and you WILL survive. And in the end your new pain free hip will make it all worthwhile.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Thanks Bottomshollo That's helpful. I guess I just have to give in to it a bit and "go with the flow". Pre op I used to always be careful to get enough sleep but now it is certainly beyond my control!

Like you with reading a non starter. I browse and browse again but not real reading. I haven't watched TV for a long time but looks like it might become my night time friend!! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member