THR Continuing pain after one week

At this point, I feel rather out of place on this forum because my THR definitely doesn't fall into the "successful" category. Three and a half months postop, I'm still on crutches and told by the surgeon to avoid PT, at least until the next postop visit on 11/3. I already detailed my xray finding and surgeon's instructions in my previous post, so I won't repeat. What I'd like to know is how long others who might have had "hairline fracture" post-THR had to wait for the fracture to heal, how long they were reliant on crutches, and, most importantly, how long, after they were cleared for PT, it took to regain normal or even near-normal mobility. My fracture isn't actually that painful anymore--but if I try to take even a modest number of steps without it, my gait is what's been described as either a pronounced limp or a lurch, which has led the surgeon and a PT who made a few visits to the house for "crutch guidance" to say I should discontinue the walking-without-crutches attempts immediately. It's almost as though there's some disconnect between my brain command and whichever muscle or joint controls walking. All of this continues to be deeply concerning ...

I feel rather out of place on this forum because my THR definitely doesn't fall into the "successful" category.
My friend you are definitely not "out of place" here. Many of our members don't have an easy recovery. BoneSmart was created to address post op issues and support recovering patients. We are here for you!
What I'd like to know is how long others who might have had "hairline fracture" post-THR had to wait for the fracture to heal, how long they were reliant on crutches, and, most importantly, how long, after they were cleared for PT, it took to regain normal or even near-normal mobility.
This varies with every patient. Unfortunately any fracture adds time to the recovery timeline. There is no "norm".

What I can confirm is that you will get your mobility back and there will come the day when you are not planning your life around your hip.
discontinue the walking-without-crutches attempts immediately.
We would recommend the same. Use a walking aid until you are no longer limping.

Can you work with PT on your gait?

Thank you, Jaycey, for your kind response. No PT will work with me on gait because the surgeon has explicitly instructed against it. And if trying to walk without support could further delay the fracture healing then I wouldn’t want to pursue it. I take short (20-minute) walks around my immediate neighborhood several times a week, using both crutches, in hopes of offsetting some of the deconditioning.

Hello FC :wave:
Stopping by on this four month milestone of your THR to say Hi and wishing you a good weekend and week to come. Enjoy those walks! :walking:
@FraidyCat

Thanks, Layla. My next (fourth!) postop appointment with the surgeon is this Thursday. I’m hoping to get cleared to start physical therapy.

I hope you have healed by now. I do related w your post as I too am depressed. I am young abd active and can’t believe that I now can’t move. I have a hairline fracture from the surgery that was only picked up on CT bc of bleeding (another issue w hematoma). I’m posting as it unfolds bc sharing of info helps people. I’ll read your posts but give us update.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022