Revision THR Constant pain continuing 1 year after THR<^

She was totally shocked when she saw me walk and the improvement I had made

:yes!:
Nice post to hear from you friend!
You deserve to get better.
Don't be hitting the ODIC as you have to be just so weary of holding back.
We are rooting for you.:yes:

Oh @Mojo333 I definitely don’t want to be an outstanding member of the ODIC!

I told her the 2 rules the surgeon has for me - don’t you dare limp and if it hurts don’t do it! So we are going to start out doing more passive type movements and stretching. Then when I get that down .... :fasthorse:

:heehee:

Well, I now have to make an appointment with a knee doc... (sigh)..... urgent care thinks it might be a stress fracture (on my opposite leg)....

Last edited:
Where is the sad face button? Grrrrr - you were just starting to really move forward!

yes, I know! I have an appointment with a sports medicine/orthopedic PA tomorrow. I took the first available appointment so that I can find out what's going on. It would have been another 3 weeks or so to actually see an MD.... :blackcloud:

I'll keep fingers, eyes and legs crossed (sadly, can no longer cross the toes) for you!

Oh my stars, Marvy.
:sad: from me and SaraK.
I do hope you get this sorted quickly.
Please let us know how appointment goes.

Back from the appointment with the PA. Based on everything he sees, and how I described the initial pain, etc. He is leaning towards it being a stress fracture in my upper tibia on my right leg. I now have to schedule an MRI (in part to verify stress fracture and part to make sure nothing else is going on).

Back on crutches with very little weight bearing on my right leg for the next "who knows how many" weeks. I've got to be careful walking on crutches so I don't get my left hip out of wack....

I'll have another follow-up after the MRI is done..

:gaah:

What a story! There is nothing I can say apart from that sucks Marvy and I hope you can get some more positive news soon!

I hope that you get the MRI soon to rule out other worries..I know you are tired of resting up, but do elevate it and ice when able.
sending healing vibes

Thanks all. I'm not sure which is worse - having the stress fracture or dealing with my employer. With the exception of 1 week, I had been working from home full time after my hip surgery. I went back to the office on Monday. My manager is not allowing me to work from home any longer (even though I could work from anywhere that provides internet access) as he thinks I'm just trying to extend "my vacation". :censored:

Grrrrr - I dealt with neanderthals that thought maternity leave was a vacation! Is there a way to document your productivity at home? Can you find a way to make him understand that you'll be more productive if you're not dealing with pain from the commute?

Prayers for brighter days, Marvy.
My heart goes out to you in your struggles.
Please keep us posted. Lots of caring people on the forum.
Glad you're here with us. :)
@Marvy

Thank you @Layla

I have the MRI scheduled for Thursday evening (so I don’t have to take time off work)

My follow up isn’t until May 8. Hopefully there won’t be anything else wrong.

:beg:

I hope everyone has a relaxing and peaceful weekend

@Marvy - Before I had my shoes modified by a shoe repair shop, I bought a gizmo on-line called 'Evenup' which was recommended by my PT. It cost about $35 with shipping. I think it's made somewhere in Ga. It fits over your existing shoe and comes with a lift of 1/2", and 1" so you can try both. I have one on a pair of crocs I walk in every day. I use the 1" lift. It's been on my croc now for 6 months and still going strong. Before thinking about lifts, it would probably help to first now the magnitude of your LLD.

As Pumpkin and Jamie suggested, a podiatrist can measure it. Some PT's are also trained to measure LLD.

As far as revision surgery to fix my LLD, I would never consider it. My elevated shoes work just fine.

Best of luck!

Hi Marvy
I lost 2cm (approx 1") in a THR Revision last year, and wondered about a fifth operation to get the leg length back, but you categorically say no, you wouldn't do it, any reason why?

Hi @Mal1952 - I think the question you are asking needs to be asked to @Clipper I did have a revision surgery where my leg was lengthened a tad - in addition to removing the acetabular screw from my psoas. Based on the amount of LLD, I don't think that a surgeon would have done surgery on me. But since I had another reason to have the surgery, they did adjust my LLD....

From what I have read, it depends on the actual LLD and also the surgeon (if they are willing to fix it, or if they deem it more "cosmetic"). I think there are others on here that do use some type of lift or have had their shoes modified....

I hope you get an answer to your question!!!

What did you hear about the MRI? Even if you haven't had the followup, is the report available on a patient portal? We all know how patient a patient I am and I've almost always read the test results or imaging report before I hear back from the doctor. Some docs like it and some don't.

Hey @SaraK - no, I haven't gotten the MRI report yet (and it's driving me crazy!). I left the imaging facility with the CD, but of course, it hadn't been read yet, so no report. I've requested a copy of the report from them but they say "it can take up to 30 days"...ugh... just for one piece of paper???!!!!

I have my follow-up on the 8th... And they haven't uploaded the report either (I'm sure they are waiting until after my appointment).

"Something" is going on in that area as it is still a bit swollen in addition to feeling like there is a knife inserted into my tibia....

So, crutching along until I hear what's up.....

I did learn something interesting though. Since it's a couple hour drive to both the hip surgeon and now the knee doctor, I thought "oh, I'll try and see them both on the same day" as their offices are about 20 minutes apart. Well, insurance says "nice try, but no". You can't schedule 2 appointments for the same day - even if it is for different reasons and body parts. Unless one is for a post-op follow-up. Of course, I said, well I had hip surgery so yes, this is for a follow-up. Then I get the real kicker. You are only allowed 90 days from surgery date for post-op follow-up appointments. So, even though the surgeon told me to come back, since it's past the 90 days, it's no longer "post-op". Crazy..... So, I rescheduled the hip surgeon for the end of June as my knee/leg is more important right now....

Thanks for checking in! Hope you're doing well! :happyfeet:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks