Revision THR Constant pain continuing 1 year after THR<^

It seems as though you're progressing nicely, Marvy.
I'm happy to hear it. You're right, two years of issues will take time.
It sounds as though you're taking the right approach in not trying to rush things.
Slowly but surely you'll get there. Keep up the good work!
Best wishes for a great day :)
@Marvy

All in all, a very positive progress report. Take the time you need to heal and strengthen those muscles that haven't been used properly in so long. It's good to see that you're already seeing benefits from the surgery!

Right, you don't want to be limping or hobbling! Give the tissues that were traumatized in surgery time to heal - be very kind to them! Strength can be gained when they are whole again. Good on the stairs!

quick update: still going to the gym 3-4 days a week. mostly biking, but now starting to add in the elliptical as well. I'm pretty much cane free - unless I know I'm going to be walking alot. Then I have my cane more for potential hip fatigue so that I don't start limping.

I rode 10 miles on the bike Thursday (with very low resistance!). I had no pain or soreness during or after - so things are definitely looking up! Although I feel like Miss Gulch on the bike (do do do do do dooo.....)
ai.pinimg.com_originals_4b_a3_6b_4ba36bf099b2669d75061a3c53796d05.jpg

(now you'll have that music stuck in your head!)

Happy weekend all!

:loll:
So nice to hear you sounding well!

You know what a worry wart I am, so do make sure you don't overdo!

Hope your weekend is wonderful @Marvy :SUNsmile:

Such wonderful news, Marvy! I can hear the spring in your step!

I'm so glad you found the doctor that agreed that, even though nothing was showing up in the tests, something wasn't quite right. Agreeing to what amounted to "exploratory surgery" had to be a scary and difficult choice, but was definitely the right answer!

There's a tendency to think that, if you've fixed one problem (your protruding screw) you've fixed the entire problem. In your case, there was more than 1 thing that needed to be done. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the last of it and things just continue to improve!

Awesome update Marvy!
Be happy you don't LOOK like Miss Gulch! She still scares me. :scaredycat:
Hope you have an awesome Sunday and great week to come. :)
@Marvy

Marvy-

Just checking in to see how your latest recovery is going. Sending positive, pain-free thoughts!

Ausman

:wave:Just hoping all is continuing to improve.
Spring is starting to Spring in my neck of the woods!:yes!:

Hi @Mojo333 :SUNsmile:

Yes! Spring is finally starting to appear! I'm doing alot of walking (well, as much as I can given work, etc). I am still working from home. The way things are at work, I really have no desire to go back. I don't want to wish my life away, but I do wish I could retire. I'm at the point where I just want to be done as the morale in the office is so bad. Our upper manager leads by intimidation and "bullying" which isn't good for anyone's health and sanity.

Anyway, I have another follow-up with the surgeon on Friday morning. I have some questions regarding things like "is this to be expected?", "is this normal", timeframe, long term outlook,etc. I am not sure if he will have me come back after this, or if I will be done.

The cats have spring fever and are running around everywhere with a new found burst of energy! They go "outside" on the screen deck and are "chasing birds" they see fly by. :catbutterfly:

I hope you enjoy the spring and all of the flowers blooming - and hopefully pollen season won't be too bad this year!

Once it is warmer and pollen season is gone... hopefully we will be :martini:

Hi @Marvy
Try not to view it as wishing your life away but only trying to save your sanity.
I don't know who would relish spending each day with an intimidating, controlling bully. What a downer and energy drain that would be.

Wishing you all the best with your appointment on Friday. I hope you receive only good news and have all of your questions answered. Let us know how it goes if you don't mind sharing the news.

Have a great Wednesday and a pleasant rest of the week!

Hi @Layla! :wave:

Yes, most definitely I will update with what the surgeon says!
Hopefully spring will appear in your Northern part of the world soon! And no more :snow plough:

Enjoy your week and thanks for checking in!

@Marvy - So glad to hear you are doing well but wish the work situation was better! I'm also starting to think towards retirement but, as much as anything, because I want more time to enjoy life and all of the benefits of these new hips! Keeping the fingers crossed for a good report from the surgeon. Hopefully all of the "is this normal" questions are just on little things and that you're told they just need a little more time to settle!

Happy Spring!

I still loved my job when I retired, but as SaraK mentioned, I was was ready to enjoy things in life I had not had time to do for so long. I was lucky to be able to retire while I still felt so positively about teaching. I can only imagine not feeling that great, and still having to work in a stressful, negative environment. Is working from home indefinitely an option for you? I read your "story" and think if ever anyone deserved a huge break, it's you, so I"m hoping your appointment goes even better than expected! Your positive attitude is inspirational.:)

@Marvy i can empathise with your feelings as my workplace is going through a major restructuring. It has really made me think too and people on here have been brilliantly supportive. Quite a few have gone through similar and there is a wealth of experience and advice here.

Trying to think through the toxic fog of your work environment is so hard when you have to get on with the job day to day so your time out is good thinking time.

We did some brainstorming at home of “what if “ scenarios and one of our ideas was crazy but could work and certainly wouldn’t involve a traditional retirement. I think I was positive that I would like to work for myself in the next 10 years.

I hope your hips sort themselves out and you get a positive outcome so you can move forward (pun intended) xx

Good Friday Afternoon!

Well, I had my second post-op visit with the surgeon today. We talked a lot about how I'm doing vs. where he thinks I "should" be. Even though it is tough to hear (and I agree with him 100%), he said unfortunately, it is going to take time to get the muscles back. He said it's at this point he tries to teach patience! Ha! Ha! But I understand that, like he said, my muscles have been dysfunctional for a couple years, so they aren't going to get better in 2 months. (I said I felt like I should be farther along than what I am).

He did a simple muscle strength test and I think he agreed without really agreeing with me. (huh?) Anyway, he thought it was time for some PT. He wants them to focus on IT band stretching, glute strength and gait training.

I said that I still walk with a cane (if going to dinner, grocery shopping, etc), but I've switched to trekking poles around the neighborhood. I said it makes me look more athletic than a little old man walking around the block with a cane :heehee:

The PT referral didn't say how many visits or how long the treatment is, so I will find that out when I go (they were closed today, so I have to call Monday).

Then I have another follow-up with the surgeon in 6 weeks.

So, nothing earth shattering which I am thankful for. Time to kick the dysfunctional hip to the curb....

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Thanks for the update, Marvy.
It sounds like you have a game plan.
You'll have to update us along the way.
I wish you only the best and hope you have a great weekend!
@Marvy

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well.
Wishing you a wonderful Spring as you continue on your healing journey.
@Marvy

Hi @Layla :wave: Thank you for the "revisionersary" wish! I had my first PT appointment this morning - it was more of an assessment as to what needs to be worked on the most. I am going back to the same person that I had before. She was totally shocked when she saw me walk and the improvement I had made! She didn't know until after that that I had a 3rd surgery.

We are now going to focus on balance and flexibility as well as strength - but nothing extreme! She also teaches Pilates Reformer classes so I will be doing that as well to help in all areas.

I hope the flowers are starting to bloom in your area. Saturday it was 75 here and today it is 35 and snowing! But thankfully not sticking on the roads, so no need for :snow plough:

Have a great day!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics