Revision THR Constant pain continuing 1 year after THR<^

Just wanted to say I'm hoping the next weeks fly by for you.
Hope you are able to get a little holiday spirit, @Marvy :snows:

Hi @Mojo333
Yes, we are getting in the holiday spirit! We put up a tree (a real one). Not sure if it will survive or not as we have 2 cats, both under a year old. We did find one snowman ornament in the kitchen. Hmmmm.... and they both look guilty! So, the ornaments all got moved, so that with the exception of the lights, there are not ornaments on the bottom 2 feet of the tree. Looks a bit strange. I guess in their minds, they need "something" to get into, so now some of the strands of lights are hanging down. We put them back, and then when you're not looking, they get moved. Ah, but we love our pets :kittychris:

We ended up with 14" of snow from the storm Diego. That has practically shut down the city! Our average snowfall for the year is 6-8".

I had my FMLA paperwork "approved" by Human Resources. Then I had to tell my boss (sigh). He is about 20 years younger than me and has basically never taken a sick day so he does not understand anything about surgery, etc.

Wishing you Happy Holidays!!!!:tree lights:

What a wonderful toy you put up for your furry friends.
:heehee:
I am sure your boss knows this is not something you are wishing for yourself.
Try to put that out of your mind ...
The world will still turn (as my DH used to annoyingly remind me as I fretted over then doing without me)

Wishing you comfort and a whole lot of joy!:santaclap:

:wave:
Hope you had a good Christmas and are boosting up that immune system so that you can heal quickly and get this hip golden by summer!
Hope today is a good day!:SUNsmile:

@Marvy - I've been thinking about you a lot as my surgery day approaches. You'll be there a month later. I can't wait for 2019 to be a better year for both of us! I hope you're making it through the holidays without too much pain and bother.

I'm counting down the days (23) for you @Marvy ! And keeping the fingers crossed (and arms and legs and eyes - can't do the toes anymore) that the surgeon finds what he knows he's going to find but can't tell you in case he doesn't (I feel like I'm in a Harry Potter novel talking about He Who Shall Not Be Named). How will the recovery for this compare to your other procedures - or can't they say until they see just what needs to be done? Sometimes it's not having some of those basic answers that can drive you the battiest! Try to stay sane - and let us know if we can help!

Less than 2 weeks away! I'm hoping this next surgery puts everything right and gives you the chance to enjoy the new hip like you should!

Been quiet lately. Guess waiting doesn't really provide any "breaking news" stories :shrug:

I had my pre-op on the 11th with the pre-op clinic. It was totally different than what I've had in the past. No new bloodwork as they are using the results from the October labs. No x-rays, EKG, etc. It was more of an interview of things like do you snore? (I don't know, I haven't woken myself up). Has anyone said you stop breathing at night? (No, but if my spouse is sleeping, would they notice?) Have you ever had a stroke, or heart attack? (Only when I see the hospital bills). When you walk up a flight of stairs are you gasping at the top? (yes, with frustration that I can't walk up a flight of stairs because of my hip) With the exception of weight and blood pressure, everything could have been done over the phone.

I requested an epidural or spinal anesthesia as general had been ordered, so we will see. The nurse did measure my neck (no one has done that before either). I asked the nurse why she measured my neck and she said "I don't know, they told me to do it so I am". :sigh:

With my original surgeon, I would have had new labs, chest x-ray, EKG, etc. When I told them about my surgeon's "cocktail" of meds given to me the morning of surgery for my replacement, they looked at me in disbelief! He gives pain meds and a few other things. Of course, my blood pressure is always high the morning of surgery (I don't have high BP), so I had a "blood pressure patch" (can't remember what it was called) on my neck as well. I was told that here, they don't do anything like that for any surgery. At this point I am like "whatever". I'm tired and I just want it fixed.

I am hoping for a morning surgery time, but won't know until the 30th.

Unless the surgeon finds something different during surgery, I won't be able to drive for 8 weeks. I'll also be on crutches for that time. He said I could basically put my left foot on the floor with no weight on it..

Now back to the regularly scheduled waiting..... :bored:

Interesting. I've had to have new blood work both times (told couldn't be more than 30 days old) but this time I'm not being required to get a new A1C. Also told no new EKG needed within a year.

The questions and interview were different - and similar to what you described - with my second hip replacement. I assumed it was because I was going to outpatient surgical center not attached to hospital so they were screening out higher anesthesia risks. They even branched out and asked me more questions because I have a heart condition that can cause shortness of breath etc. And my numbers were a bit lower than they'd normally accept.

I wonder if your surgeon will be like mine. He waits until he knows all surgeries for day and then puts them in logical order. He prefers to do hips first just because they require more instruments and more strength than other surgeries. If so, you might be early.

Sorry to hear you'll be off feet and unable to drive for so long. That would drive me nuts (ok, short drive, but still)!

Interesting on BP patch. Wonder if it was a beta blocker. This surgery was my first time with scopalamine patch on neck, but that's for nausea. I guess its sedating effect could also lower "white coat" BP.

Just know we're thinking of you even if we don't hear from you!

:wave:marvy.
I recognized that frustrated description of answering pre-op questions right off and I'm sorry it made me smile...I got so cynical ...it's a pain thing for sure...and my husband says I can be a smart alec.:)
I remember telling a doctor trying to get answers for my pain pre-op... who didn't seem to be hearing my desperation..that I hadn't slept over an hour per night in the last year!
He said...so, how long exactly have you suffered from insomnia?:shrug:
What?
I almost shouted at him..
"I don't HAVE insomnia. I could sleep standing up if I wasn't in severe pain!":gaah:
I know you are just ready for this to be done with...and we are ready for you to feel better!
Wishing you comfort...eat well and stay healthy so there are no delays!
Keep the faith, friend!:console2:

Hi, I hope you're having a nice weekend so far.
Less than two weeks to go. Hopefully time moves quickly.
Like Sara, I was told my pre-op had to be within 30 days of my surgery.
Whatever it takes to get you to surgery, so be it.
Wishing you comfort as you wait out these last days.
@Marvy

Thinking of you today, @Marvy! I am wishing you the best in this new surgery - may it solve your problems. I wanted to leave you with knowing that, for me, recovery from the gluteal tendon repair surgery was so much easier than the hip replacement surgery. I had much less pain. Also, the time of limited weight bearing on the surgical leg wasn't too difficult and seemed to go by quickly. I kept in mind that I wanted the best possible healing with no new tears, and was able to handle it well. Lookin forward to hearing from you post-op soon! :SUNsmile::fingersx:

Hi Everyone! :wave:

Thank you for all of the positive thoughts about my upcoming surgery. I now have seemed to attract a cold - stuffy head, cough, etc. ugh... So, I'm loading up on everything I can to get rid of this (but everyone at work is or has been sick). Maybe I need to lock myself in a bubble somewhere? although it may be too late for that. I'm afraid if I walk into the hospital next Thursday with as much as a slight sniffle, they will turn me around and send me home. :sick:

@Krista, I am hoping this will be an easier recovery. The hardest part will be not driving. Were you allowed to drive afterward? I've been on crutches for months at a time before, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I want the 31st to get here quickly, but first, the cold has to go!

Hi Marvy, so sorry to hear that you're under the weather a mere 9 days before your surgery. Hopefully with lots of rest, sleep and fluids you'll be feeling better soon.
Wishing you comfort! :mcoffee: :yawn: :sleep: Feel better soon.
@Marvy

Ah, yes, the fun of having surgery scheduled during flu season! There is the inclination to don a hazmat suit (or at least a surgical mask) during the last couple of weeks. Everywhere you look, it seems like someone is coughing or sneezing without covering! The last week before my second THR, I kept my office door closed to limit the amount of germs coming in. I considered working from home, but decided that wouldn't go over very well.

I have an upcoming non-hip surgery and my son decided to pass along the upper respiratory infection he had. Luckily, I got started with the Mucinex and Flonase early so it hasn't gotten too bad - and I have a little over 3 weeks to get rid of it and get back up to full strength.

I told my PT that my final session would be 2/11 because of the other surgery. Based on where I'm at now, he said he might even release me before then!

@Marvy, I wasn't allowed to drive until my 6 weeks partial weight-bearing was over and I was able to comfortably put full weight on the surgical leg. It was my right, my driving leg. I think it was 8 or 9 weeks before I drove. Hope that cold goes away quickly. :mcoffee:

:wave: @Marvy
I do hope you are feeling better and nerves are in check for your upcoming surgery?
You have had such a rough few years with this hip, I am sending all the best wishes for this to be the answer so you can get on with your life.:friends:

well, I still have a slight cold - no fever (according to my thermometer anyway). So, I will have to try and suppress any cough or sniffle at the hospital Thursday. I don't want them to send me back home....

The hospital is a couple hours away, so we are staying at a hotel Wednesday night just in case they want me there at o-dark-thirty in the morning. Maybe I can blame my cough on the "dry hotel air"... :shrug:

I'll find out tomorrow sometime when the check-in time is. I hope it is early so I can get it over-with sooner.

Tonight and tomorrow, I'll finish getting the house ready as far as what I think I'll need to bring down from upstairs. The surgeon hasn't given me any additional restrictions, aside from no driving and basically no weight bearing on my left leg. I'm sure I'll find out more after surgery as to if I will have bending restrictions, etc.

My first post-op appointment is February 8 and the second (and last one scheduled) is March 22. Both of these are supposed to be with the surgeon vs. a PA as they were rescheduled due to his not being in clinic those days.

Best of luck, @Marvy as you move toward surgery and begin your healing journey. I hope your cold
is gone by Thursday. Will look forward to your first recovery post.
Wishing you comfort as you await your big day.

No more sniffles! Get rid of that cold so that you can get rid of the pain.

I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom