BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Considering postponing surgery due to my weight?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Selkiegirl, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Selkiegirl

Selkiegirl junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello hippies :)

I hope someone can advise me, please. I have congenital hip dysplasia, and a few days ago, I was offered a surgery date of May 16th for a THR (right hip). The appointment so quickly has come as a surprise for me.

My main concern is my weight, and this is affecting my confidence with regards the surgery. My BMI is around 36 (significantly obese, and the heaviest I have ever been). I am wondering whether to postpone surgery for around 3 or 4 months in the hope that I can lose a few stone before the operation. (Even though I used to love being active, I no longer move without pain - so any loss of weight would have to come from restricting my diet.)

I had a left hip replacement around 7 years ago, and at that time I was several stone lighter (with a BMI of under 30, although over 25.)

I plan to have the spinal anaesthetic. However, the nurse has given me anti-acid reflux medication to take the night before and morning of surgery because my BMI is over 30.

Anyway, I am just looking for advice and perspective, because my confidence has been diminished due to hearing how heavy I was - even though the surgeon is happy to operate on me.

Thank you - Alison :)

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Selkiegirl Welcome to BoneSmart! Please do not postpone your surgery. The fact that you actually have a date confirms that your weight is not an issue. Surgery dates for THR are now like gold dust. Take that date and get it done. You are very, very lucky to be able to proceed.

Besides - it is nearly impossible to loose weight when you have mobility issues. And that hip will only get worse.
    If your surgeon is happy to operate please grab the opportunity now. We are here for you and will help you through this journey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

In my book that's pretty near normal! I've nursed patients in theatre with BMIs of 48 and more and they did really well. I think the staff in theatre were more at risk than the patient! It's been well documented that obese patients actually do much better than is popularly supposed. Read this Obese Achieve Great Outcomes from Joint Replacement Surgery

Besides which, it's unlikely you'll lose more than a few pounds in so short a time.
    Get'er done, gal!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Selkiegirl

Selkiegirl junior member

Hello Jaycey and Josephine. Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance. I did a search of 'obese' on the forum before you responded yesterday, and it does seem weight-related issues are a significant topic. Other than a virtual starvation diet, it is so difficult to lose weight when in so much pain. Most of my excess weight has gone on since my pain has got worse. After surgery, I will make it my focus to get back to fitness and good health. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaycey

@Selkiegirl I had the same problem pre-op LTHR. My hip collapsed so any moving around was out of the question. Post op I lost 2 stone without any dieting. Just being mobile again made the weight fall off.

As Jo says - you are not in the obese category. Get that hip replaced and get on with living again!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Miggie

Miggie member

United States United States
    @Selkiegirl, as the others have said, don't cancel your surgery. I am quite abit over weight and it had no bearing on my surgery or recovery. You will feel so much better with a new hip.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Gypsy

Gypsy member

@Selkiegirl, I agree with everyone who has said don't postpone the surgery. In an ideal world, we all have a "normal" BMI but in the real world, our joints have a mind of their own. You will feel better without the pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Apricot

Apricot member

Definitely, do not hesitate. You are fortunate to be offered the surgery without meeting rationing protocols. Very good luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Selkiegirl

Selkiegirl junior member

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have decided to go ahead with the surgery, regardless of the weight issue. I still get a little anxious about the surgery, but largely I am focused upon the freedom I will feel afterwards!! Wooopp!! I also believe that once I am able to move properly again, I will be healthier, and hopefully the excess weight will release naturally. Can't wait to get moving again!! :loll::loll:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Apricot

Apricot member

Very best of luck @Selkiegirl. Who knows I might be a May girl too - will probably know next week.

Yes everything becomes so difficult with tortured muscles and aching joints. Spent sometime today walking up and down the gym swimming pool with a bit of a swim too - breast stroke arms, crawlish legs. Then a bit of hot spa jacuzzi bubbling at me. Feel so much better for it. But its psychologically difficult looking at all the nice equipment in pleasant surroundings and knowing that even an exercise bike is now too difficult due to lack of flexion. So hopefully there's a lot to look forward to afterwards. The gym I use:loll:has an Alter G treadmill where you can walk (or run) in very low gravity - it reduces the effect of your body weight. I did use that a bit a year ago but maybe walking in water is best now I've deteriorated so much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I have also used the Alter G.
    It is very cool, except for the wedgie you get from the space pants you wear.
    Wishing you all the best so you can get active again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Selkiegirl

Selkiegirl junior member

Thank you, Apricot and Mojo. I'm looking forward to stepping through that door and into my new future. Can't wait to be in the healing stages!:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jaycey

:yes!: Soon you will be a member of the double hippie club! We are with you all the way!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Selkiegirl

Selkiegirl junior member

Thank you so much, fellow double-hippie, for the support on my journey towards becoming a bionic woman. :) :-) (:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I agree with the others that you should go ahead with the surgery. It will just be too difficult to try and lose weight when you are in such pain and as Jaycey said, the weight must not be a problem since you have already been given a date. After surgery that pain will be gone and you'll be moving around in no time so the weight loss will be much easier. Sending good wishes your way!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Selkiegirl

Selkiegirl junior member

Thank you for the support and good wishes, GrannyC! Love the pic of your dog! :dogsniff: