THR Connie.m's recovery (anterior/robotic)

connie.m

Country
United States United States
Had robotic anterior THR yesterday. Surgery started at 9am, ended by 1030am. I was discharged that evening at 7:30pm. Stopped for dinner on the way home (ate in car).
First night sleep uneventful. Slept on my back and also non-operative side. Was on 1/2 pill oxy every 4 hours til today (day 2). Stopped with opioids at noon and went to 650mg Tylenol every 6 and a meloxicam once a day. Walking with walker and feel like I am weight bearing evenly on both legs. No pain to speak of. Just discomfort when I first get out of bed or try to lift the operative leg into bed. Hoping the worst is behind (which really, there was no "worst" except the hospital food).
Will update tomorrow

:welome: Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us!
It sounds like you're off to a good start. I certainly hope the worst is over, but this recovery can have some ups and downs and take up to a full year. I say this so you're not discouraged if you aren't feeling as well over the next day or so. Hopefully it won't be the case.

Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and stop back often. We'd love to follow your progress.
All the best as you begin the journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi Connie welcome to the other side , you seem to be doing well , hopefully you can stay ahead of the pain ,icing is really good for the swelling , take it easy and keep moving on a regular basic , sleeping on your back Can be hard it’s all worth it no more pain...... hope you have someone to help you happy healing my hippie friend

Hey, Sulliy,

I was prescribed an ice machine. I wear a hip harness and plug into a motorized ice water machine that circulates the water around the surgical area. It can stay on it 24/7 since there is no danger of skin tissue damage! My hubs is a great caretaker, but when he was at work today I did just fine :)

:wave:So glad things seem to be going very well.:yes!:

These great advances in techniques seem, in cases, to be advantageous for many in the short term.
The long game does seem to be relatively the same so do take care and take things slow.
Don't want to hit the ODIC (Overdid It Club) after such a splendid start.

Hope you have a restful weekend @connie.m :ice:

Feel much clearer today since the narcs have worn off. moving operative leg much easier. will likely ditch the walker for a cane tomorrow or monday.

Went to dinner with friends. Used a crutch instead of a walker. Was slower but otherwise just fine. Forgot about my hip during the course of the evening. Getting in and out of bed MUCH easier today. 650mg Tylenol every 6 hours seems to be doing the trick.

Wow.:happydance:
So happy you are having an unbelievably easy recovery...
Keep all slow and steady and have a great week!

Careful ... smiling.

I overdid it starting at about a week ... everyone is different, but apparently those of us with limited pain and good mobility are more likely to overdo it

Be Careful.

I am keeping optimistic. I am on the younger side for this procedure and also went in super strong as I am a competitive athlete. I have a ton of muscle I am counting on to carry me through. I'll let you know if things go south. I am staying tuned into my body so hoping for the best!

Hello and Happy Monday to you!
It seems you're doing well in these first days home. Please do be careful though. It's very easy to overdo it early on. Time and again we hear stories of those who pushed it and stalled their recovery due to pain and swelling.

Your age is pretty average for joint replacement, especially these days. We've had many here who are even younger than you. There is no shortage of those who go into joint replacement strong, in good health and physically fit. Then there are also many who suffer such pain that it affects their mobility not allowing for much activity in the months leading up to joint replacement.

Keep in mind the cane provides support to your healing muscles and soft tissues by providing a measure of stability. My 80 yr old mother came walking into her home from the hospital a day after her THR surgery with only a cane, so obviously it's possible. Not sure if it's advised though. We explained to her the benefits of using the walker in those first days and another reason is for balance as who wants to fall and risk the painful emergency of a dislocation.

You will find members who've weaned from Opioids rather quickly. I took four in total myself, in just as many days, then relied on Extra Strength Tylenol for a couple weeks. I believe Forum User (above) was about the same. We all have different pain thresholds. Opioids prove beneficial for those who use them short term allowing them to stay relatively mobile in the first days, or weeks which is an important aspect to recovery, so there's definitely no shame in that.

I didn't use an ice machine during my recovery but pretty much iced whenever I was sitting, or laying down, for lengths much longer than the recommended 45-60 minutes per session. I found it to be a great for pain relief and swelling. I know many here have been ice fanatics, so to speak. It's a great aid in early recovery and will help keep discomfort at bay. There is a lot of internal healing to take place and it can take a full year for complete healing. Thankfully you're off to a great start.

Have a wonderful week!

@Layla , I don't feel as though I am pushing too hard at all. Everything I am doing seems rather natural. I see a lot of warnings on this forum of doing too much too soon so I am letting pain be my guide. I am icing and elevating most of the day. The research I did shows the average age for this procedure is about 10 years older than me, though, and 10 years can go a long way in a faster recovery.

The research I did shows the average age for this procedure is about 10 years older than me, though, and 10 years can go a long way in a faster recovery.
Research data such as that is based on things that have passed. The average age is going to come down, because more people in their fifties, forties and even their thirties are having joint replacements.

And, unfortunately, age has nothing to do with the speed at which you recover. A replaced joint takes just as long to recover, whether you're 18 or 80.

I'm glad you're letting pain (or lack of) be your guide. That's sensible.

I am letting pain be my guide.

Wise and good to hear.

The research I did shows the average age for this procedure is about 10 years older than me,

I began my journey at 58. It's the age I was when diagnosed. My surgeon told me at that time I was considered average age for THR. It surprised me a bit, but I have found it to be rather accurate over the time I've spent here. I had my surgery at 60 and while I wished I could have waited longer, hoping for a lesser chance of revision down the road, physically I couldn't wait. I can only hope my implant outlives me, something I'm sure we all hope for, or that advances in medical technology continue to make this process even easier on us with less risk of complications or need for revisions. :fingersx:
I hope you have a good week!

Day 6: Began walking unassisted yesterday. Somewhat slower than my norm but with an even gait. Also, confidently climbed 3 stairs with no railing (one step at a time) with no feeling of weakness. Was able to rest on my operative hip last night for about 10 minutes. It didn't hurt but felt odd so I went to my other side. Tapering tylenol to one every 8 hours. Still tethered to my ice machine most of the time. Faithfully wearing my hose, which I thought would be a much bigger bother than it is. Biggest issue is pain in my non-op butt cheek. Piriformis syndrome which I've dealt with off and on for years. I think its all this sitting and laying on my back that is flaring it up.

Day 8...walking pretty normal. Able to do stairs normal as well. Slept on operative hip last night for a bit. Driving again. Kind of feel just tight in the joint when I first get up from sitting/lying ahile. Minimal swelling visually. May be a different story when I decide to wear jeans again. I don't know that there will be much more to report except clearance back to training so I'll check back in in about 2 weeks.

Driving again.
Were you cleared to drive by your surgeon? If not, please do get clearance before driving again. Should you have an accident when driving without clearance your insurance will not cover you.

Driving again.
Were you cleared to drive by your surgeon? If not, please do get clearance before driving again. Should you have an accident when driving without clearance your insurance will not cover you.

I was told I could drive as long as I was not on narcotics and felt able. I was told to have my husband take me to a parking lot to check my mobility, etc. All is fine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back