• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Conflicting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark9765

Country
United States United States
I had a TLHR in 2009 so I am not new to the board. I have gotten great advice/information from this board. My right knee is giving me problems now. The latest MRI showed a torn meniscus, arthritis, bone spurs, a bakers cyst and the joint is bone on bone on the inside of the joint. The doctor's told me that scoping it out would not help. He could do a partial replacement but I would have to do a full replacement in 10 years. He did not recommend a TKR right now. He did the ortho-visc shots about a 6 weeks ago but the pain is back, pretty much constant for the last 2 weeks. My family doctor wants me to have TKR this year. I am a 55 yr old man, weight is 350 with a fairly active life style. Any thoughts about what to do?

Hi Mark
The last part of your story sounds much like mine, though unlike your guy, mine said when I opted for scoping, that he could make it feel better for a while but that it really wouldn't help in the long run. He gave me a date for the arthroscopy but within 3weeks while waiting for the scope the pain had increased to a level that even with pain management meds it convinced me he was right ( I guess I just slipped into denial mode for a while). Now I'm 12days out from my TKR and although I'm still a bit anxious I know it is the right decision for me.

My surgeon, after he had told me the extend of the problems with my knee said that the decision was mine , I can't help but wonder why your guy has chosen this path for you, however they are all different.

You already know this is a great forum and it is the best place for those of us needing support, encouragement and knowledge about our knees or hips it's good you came back on board. :friends:

Hi Mark,
I'm a new poster, been lurking for awhile. My knee sounds similar-- patella pretty shot, and the medial side, but the OS says there's still a lot of good tissue still there, so is recommending a partial. Sounds like he wants to delay the total for as long as he can, etc.

So good luck--if you're not convinced, there's always a second opinion!

He did not recommend a TKR right now.
For what reason? Was it because you are 'too young'? Doesn't he know there is no such thing! Good knee surgeons don't look at the date of birth, they look at the quality of life. And we've had lots of members here in their 50s, 40s and even 30s who had TKRs!

I suggest you print off this form and fill it in. Then when you get your next opinion, you can give it to the surgeon to show him how much this knee is impacting on your life.

Attachments

• List of activities and abilities score chart.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 140
Too young? Hogwash! I had a BTKR five years ago at the age of 53. I would seek a second opinion. That new knee will great have a postive impact on your life. To me, it sounds like a TKR is the way to go.

For what it is worth, I understand how you feel about the SynVisc---my shots worked for me all of three days!

By the way---I also had a Baker's Cyst in one of my knees---once I had the BTKR, my knees stabilized and I have had very, very little trouble with it ever since!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom