• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Concerned..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roulette67

Upcoming Second Surgery

I had my first TKR on March 7th of this year. I had my left knee done and am still recovering from the surgery. I am in PT and still only have 95 degrees of bend.

I am due for the RTKR on Sept. 6th 2011. I'm setting things up and now that I know a bit of what to expect, it's not such new territory. But... I find myself scared that this knee will be worse. Since I'm still struggling with a stubborn knee that doesn't want to relax and bend already.

I do see more improvement. But it's very slow going.

I guess my actual status is pre/post-op. LOL

I find myself becoming overwhelmed with the prospect of not being able to walk for a year or more. I still have a cane, but am not as dependent as I use to be. Which is good. But, I just want this to be over, the surgery, the PT, the EVERYTHING.

I just want to walk around the park like I use too, with no pain though...

I had my LTKR on March 7th of 2011. Not quite 6 months yet. And I'm due for my RTKR on Sept. 6th.

My main concern is that my ROM is about 95 degrees. Will this hinder my progression with my other knee? I stand well, straight and strong. But the knee is still tight and has difficulty bending all the way.

I am doing better with stairs, but still need a cane. It's hard seeing others progress so much better than I am and I am getting a bit overwhelmed with the whole process of 'both' knees not being able to function at 100%.

My surgeon said not to measure in terms of 100%, but rather in the amount of improvement I have based on where I was before. I know I will never be able to run, I'm scared too. I just want to walk, pain and cane free.

I no longer have arthritic pain in that knee. No popping and cracking or buckling. Which is a god send. I have never been able to bend that knee very far. Had to stop riding a bike because it just progressively got worse.

Now, I'm on the exercise bike and it amazes me that I can get the leg all the way around. :thumb:

I know I've got a battle ahead, but... I know in the end. It will all have been worth it.

One of the biggest problems is that I've gained so much weight after surgery. I'm just trying to maintain the weight I'm at now. Knowing once the knees get their act together, I can go back to walking for exercise.:dancy:

Hi, It's good to hear from someone (and their Doctor) who isn't hung up on numbers for the ROM. He's right, of course) that you should compare before and after. But you haven't really reach the AFTER state yet, it'll keep improving if you keep using it, particularly if you keep the cycling up. Mine is still improving, and I'm 20 months out. Remember most of us leave a full and active life with a ROM of 120ish, so you haven't got too far to go, it's VERY rare for the new knees to bend fully

We always find that knees behave totally differently, so you can't predict what will happen after the next one, except that the pain will disappear:thumb:

Re: Upcoming Second Surgery

What's your surgeon got to say about your ROM? Has he discussed the possibility of an MUA?

Roulette, you created two identical threads, one in here and another in the recovery forum. So I've merged them both.

Thank you for merging my threads. Wasn't sure how to go about discussing the knees.

I've had 2 MUA's on my left knee. I exercise it every day. And the PT is rigorous.

Tykey - I really like my surgeon. I use to be obsessed with numbers before he said that too me. It's great to know I will steadily improve even further out. I'll try not to 'predict' doom and gloom for my right knee.

Thanks for the input. : )

How long ago was your last MUA? It's good you're still making steady progress and you need to keep working at it.

Don't assume that your second surgery will be better or worse than your first. They can be very different and go either way. There is no way to tell beforehand. The good news is you know what the surgery and recovery involve now...that puts you LEAGUES ahead in going into this second procedure.

Roulette...welcome to BoneSmart. This is a great place.

I like you was/am a snail. I had my first surgery in April 09 and second in Feb 10.I did 8 wks of PT (at least) with each one. My Right knee got to about 105 and my left was a push to get to 100. But I have to agree that ROM is just a number for comparison. I can do everything I want to do with the ROM that I have. That is key.

My recoveries were totally different. For me my second knee was more problematic...BUT it was the worst of the two knee to begin with...too many years of bone on bone.

I recently was not happy with my gait and discomfort levels. My OS said all was mechanically well with both of my knees. My GP suggested we go back
to PT for a while. It has helped greatly.

All this to say, snails do win the race. I am working at returning to the same things you want...to take a stroll in the park without thinking about knees!! You can continue to make progress with your first knee as your second knee recovers...kind of like two for one! YOU can do it!!!!!!:friends:

Roulette, good luck with your upcoming surgery. I do understand how weight makes a difference, I too would be able to lose some more if I could walk well again, and swim ect. I have not had tkrs yet but hopefully sooner than later I will. Please post how you are doing....

Roulette, welcome and listen to these guys, they are exrtemely knowledgable and support you 100%. Your surgery is 2 days before mine and I honestly would go in tomorrow if I could. :what: I really just want to get is over with. Your hesitation is completely understandable, just keep working on your ROM for the next few weeks and get it as good as you can, your best is always good enough. I was like you with each of my previous surgeries, focusing on numbers and trying to defy all.
Good luck and take each day as it comes.
:wink1:

Thank you everyone. Just saw my surgeon today, he says my left knee is really bound up. My muscles are sooo tight it's stiff and doesn't like bending. It's not like it can't do it, it just hasn't 'un-jumbled' enough to relax. :scratch:

He's gonna do another MUA while I'm out for my surgery on my right knee. I just feel like if those muscles would just relax and go with the flow, things would be so much better. The rainy weather hasn't helped either.

He also said that the second knee may be completely different. So, we really can't predict. He wants me to return to the rehab hospital after surgery, instead of spending 2 weeks in the regular hospital. Instead, I'll get at least 28 days of therapy every day and although I originally didn't want to put the strain on visits etc. from my family. I think it's a good idea.

I don't mind a month or more away and if it's available, I might as well take advantage of it, while I can. Gonna miss my dog though, :doggieshmooze:

I've got two more PT's scheduled this week. And then it's just GP and testing. Sept will be here before I know it. So much stuff to get and packing to plan. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Sinister17
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom