Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Complicated hip Surgery

Kodiak

Country
Australia Australia
Hi All, glad I have found this forum as I felt I was losing my mind! After a horrific accident where my 150kg neighbour fell off my roof and landed on me ( which everyone seems to find so funny) I was 58kg at the time and am a wee bit skinnier now! I was in traction as ball and socket came out. Followed by major pinning in my hip I was only allowed 10% foot on floor, so came home with a hopper. 6 weeks later much to my disgust ( read very active person ) I'm only on 50%. Still can't drive as nerves shot.
Gave me crutches, which are totally useless in the house as can't carry anything. Physio told me to get a stick which is working fantastic and told me to get in the pool as did the surgeon. Have worked a roster system with my fantastic friends ( who are now all in the pool getting fit! ) I live alone with my greyhounds,(hubby died a few years ago, no kids, no family here ) Just have had a couple of horrible days with why me? etc. Got rid of the pain killers straight away. Friend had a lightbulb moment today of maybe I would like to hobble around the shop and get some food instead of them doing it.
Thanks for listening.

Welcome to Bone Smart @Kodiak . Please explain more about your situation and know there are caring people here that can give you advise and support.

Welcome @Kodiak! What a story! Your poor body! I have a wee suggestion. It was an idea from another Bonesmartie member. I took an apron and seam ripped the stitches dividing the pocket, so now it is an easier pocket to hold my phone, tissues, etc. when I use my crutches,on bad hip days.

I live alone too, with a giant golden doodle. I hope your greyhounds are a comfort to you. I am sorry you lost your husband, but glad your friends are great pool pals.

Hi @Kodiak and :welome:
That accident sounds horribly painful and I am sure that this recovery is frustrating. Wondering what damage was actually done? A break?

What was the date of your surgery so we can pop it in your signature along with a hip pinning prefix so perhaps some members who have also experienced this can comment.
Meanwhile..
Here are some articles about recovery that may be useful:
Pain management and the pain chart
The Myth of Addiction
Pain and swelling control: elevation can help
Using Ice

Recovery Aids
How to Use Crutches
Warning about Armpit Crutches
Recliners

There have been others on here that have fractured the head off of their femur and had it pinned back in place. I had my femur pinned back when I was a teen, not fom a break but other problems. I remember being non weight bearing for quire some time, no fun as an active teen. I hope it all works out.

I also had a femoral neck pinning back on June 30 after falling down a flight of stairs and fracturing my femoral neck. Unfortunately the fracture was bad and after months of toe touch weight bearing, then 50%, etc, I have now developed avascular necrosis of the femoral head. If your fracture was displaced then there is a high risk of AVN and/or nonunion. I am scheduled for THR on Jan 29

Thank you for your replies! My op was on the 6th of November. I'm not sure exactly what was done. I know the surgeon said we have to go slowly as he wants the best outcome and he knows I'm very impatient. I must admit every day I feel a lot better and should stop flipping moaning. I can do the housework on the stick , vacuum, mop, dust etc and the dreaded dog poo pick up! I just had a dreadful night a few days ago where it was "why me blah blah" Our family never had time for feeling sorry for oneself. It was always somebody is worse off. Anyway, I had a good night last night and it's greyt ( yes, I know, boring, greyhounds!) to know there are folk all over who are in the same state of mind. I was told 14% chance of osteo. Really?14%.. that is an odd number. Anyhow, greetings from Australia, at least my house is still here.x

I have been watching the horrid fires reminiscent of some terrible seasons for wildfires in California...just scary!
:flabber:

Glad you are safe and I hope this recovery goes smoothly.
Do be careful and take advantage of help whenever you can get it.
Healing vibes ...:thumb:

@Kodiak Unfortunately recovery never happens in a straight line. I like this image.
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

There are always ups and downs. Just roll with it. Sounds like you are doing really well!

My heart goes out to everyone in Australia - such a tragic situation. Stay safe!

:wave:from Portugal and welcome to a wonderful forum full of folk who have been there and done that, can empathise with you and give you some comfort.

Five years ago I fell in a grocery store and cleanly broke the neck of my femur. After five days in traction I had a hip replacement and was on non weight bearing with a walker for six weeks ... not fun! Since then I have had other traumas again culminating in weight bearing issues. All I have to say is ... have patience... lots of it!

I am pleased you are not affected by the horrendous fires and hope you continue to stay safe.

Hang .. Better.jpeg Izzy xx

One of the best things about this forum is that whining and feeling sad/overwhelmed are allowed.....almost everyone on here has experienced every emotion from abject fear, deep despair, giddy relief, and totally joy over a new lease on life. As mentioned above, recovery is so uneven and even though none of us like to feel down or helpless, it actually is good for us if we can share those feelings and get them out. So welcome to the forum, and feel free to be yourself....no apologies needed!:loveshwr:

and the dreaded dog poo pick up

You should have milked that one a little longer, telling the family the surgeon said it's a no-no. :heehee:

Our family never had time for feeling sorry for oneself. It was always somebody is worse off.

So true!

Prayers for Austraiia :prayer: and I certainly hope you and yours are safe from those horrific fires.

Last but not least....a Happy Two Month Anniversary to you. :)

Just checking in to let you know I had a horrible cabin fever weekend as my friend was sick and couldn't take me to the pool. Bum was aching etc. I never saw anyone the whole time and the folk on the TV were driving me crazy because they could walk and do stuff!
Anyhow after a lovely Monday at the pool doing my exercises I felt a whole lot better and didn't realise when I was sitting down my leg was moving a bit more freely with less pain.
Today I was out cleaning the henhouse ( still with a stick but where there's a will there's a way ). Pumped up the tyres on the ride on mower with the air compressor, cleaned out the shed and the poor man who came to fix my phone was roped in to helping me.( I didn't take up too much of his time) I knew my ride on was dead and the lovely guy at the mower shop remembered me and they have modified the mower so I don't have to bend down to get it through the gate. How lovely!

:) :-) (:Glad you were able to get out and things are getting better.
I found that If you Intermingle your activity with some icing and elevating, there will be less soreness.
Or after a busier day, take a more restful day.
Glad you are on your way!

and the folk on the TV were driving me crazy because they could walk and do stuff!

Can't help it, but this made me laugh. :rotfl:
Annoying tv people, how dare they walk and do stuff?!! :heehee:

It sounds like things definitely improved after the weekend and you were a busy little bee. Hang in there it will get better. :yes!:

A great rest of the week to you! :)

Hi all my lovely support network. Just an update on things. I feel a lot happier and have my old witch's cackle back... scared the living daylights out of my neighbour. She said it was the most horrid laugh she has heard. ( My dear old Dad would be killing himself as that's where I got it from ! )

Have been continuing my pool work. Got some special exercises from my Physio but not overdoing it. Back to Physio on Thursday and then to the surgeon next week. Would love it if he said I could drive again and then I could not rely on my long suffering friends but am not expecting miracles. If I wanted to put on a sock I would have to be a contortionist so that is one of my goals. As others have said on here about appetite change... don't know whether that's because I had a blood transfusion and now have Aussie blood running through me ( thank you so much! ) I have found the blues have disappeared and have stopped thinking.. why me? etc. Just need to get on with it now. Oh,and still get sore bum/leg from muscle use and feeling returns every day to my foot. Thanks for listening.

@Kodiak so glad things are moving in the right direction now! This recovery can certainly be a challenge for many. Take care with all that physio - but it really sounds like you are on the right track.

This sounds like you are turning a corner, to me....
I feel a lot happier and have my old witch's cackle back.
And so does this...
I have found the blues have disappeared and have stopped thinking.. why me? etc. Just need to get on with it now.
It sounds like your doctors have given you great advice and kudos to you for following through with your friends in the pool.

Happy shopping as you slowly add other normal life activities into your life.

Hi Everyone, just an update as I saw the surgeon today. How dare he not remember me at first and then the light bulb moment! ( I thought I was his only patient ever!) He said I can wean myself off the stick I have been wandering around the house so happy ( walking like an idiot with weirdo gait!) And if I can do emergency stop I can drive again. At least I can try a bit as I have a bit of land but I certainly won't do it if I don't feel safe.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom