Complex hip replacement

LINDZ1975

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi I am having a complex left hip replacement on Thursday 31st May under general anesthetic and I am starting to feel very nervous about the anaesthetic and not waking up.

Also the fact that I am overweight and not got a lot of time to lose weight now.

Any reassurance would be appreciated.

I really want this surgery to go well because I am going to Scotland in August to visit a friend and then next year my husband and I are going to Australia for 3 weeks in August 2019.

I am just scared something is going to go wrong with the surgery or the anaethestic.

Hi lindz, please don't worry about that. I an also overweight with a bmi of over 30. And the only problems I had post op were nausea related, which is very common. You'll do just fine! You'e gonna feel so much better walking in those beautiful places after your surgery.

I had the general, and had no problems either.
No nausea either, you will do fine!!

Almost everyone I know or patient I have met has had a morbid dread of not waking up after an operation. But let me tell you this: I worked in the orthopaedic operating theatre all my career life, which was around 45 years, I only ever knew one patient that died on the table and it turned out that patient had a previous undiagnosed heart condition. This could never happen now because the the stringent pre-op exams they carry out, ECGs and blood tests and all. So don't let that worry you!

And speaking of the pre-op exam, almost every test imaginable is carried out pre-op to make sure there are no previous undiagnosed conditions lurking.

And don't worry about the weight. I've looked after patients with BMIs of 46 (like me!) and over and they did just fine! Perhaps you'd tell me your weight and height so I can calculate your BMI for you.

As for your holidays, perhaps you could tell me what it is you're having done that makes your surgeon define your hip replacement as 'complex'.

And your trips to Scotland in August 2018 and Australia in August 2019 will be entirely doable. Hope you have a great time on both trips!

Hi Josephine

Thank you for your reply my operation is considered complex because I was born dislocated hips and basically there is not a proper ball and socket joint and I also have metal in my pelvis so he said that he may or may not have to take that out he won't know until he operates.

but what you have told me has made me feel better it sounds like I will be waking up from my general anathestic, I am not bothered about the side effects because I can deal with them.

I am looking forward to being in the recovery room and someone there telling me my surgery is all done.
and asking me to wiggle my toes(strange what you remember isn't it)

My height is 5ft 4in and my weight is approx 13st

Thank you for your reply my operation is considered complex because I was born dislocated hips and basically there is not a proper ball and socket joint and I also have metal in my pelvis so he said that he may or may not have to take that out he won't know until he operates.
Oh is that all? I worked with a hip surgeon who did lots of juvenile hip disorders and we never considered them as being much more than a routine hip replacement! But then, he was good at doing them. Such hip disorders are actually very common so really shouldn't be singled out like that. I think it causes the patient unnecessary anxiety.
My height is 5ft 4in and my weight is approx 13st
Then your BMI is 30 which in my book is pretty normal! I had both my knees done with a BMI of 46, and my two sisters had hip replacements with BMIs of 40 and 42!

It's easier said than done but you just have to relax and have a positive attitude about it. I had the same thoughts many times before surgery. I elected for a spinal and I had complications to deal with also. I had hardware in my femur that was inserted about 50 years ago. No question, had to be removed as it was all right in the way. My OS earned his money that day, told me all about it in recovery. I still have a small piece that was left that wasn't in the way. Even with a spinal you are sedated so waking in recovery and seeing my foot pointing the right way was a happy moment. My OS came into recovery and showed me my x-ray which he had loaded on his phone which made me happier.

Hi All
thank you for your replies, I am feeling better about it now and just keep thinking that 7 days today I will be at the hospital waiting for my surgery to happen. not long to wait now.

talk soon

Lindsey

Glad you're feeling more reassured Lindsey.....our imaginations can be our worst enemy! Just think, in 8 days it'll be done and you will be on the recovery side...not long now :flwrysmile:

Hi anny

Thank you for that and yes I can't wait now. I hope it comes round quick.

Hi @LINDZ1975
I noticed your post in the May Marvels and thought I'd bring it to your thread for more responses.
Please know everyone is nervous going into surgery. You're not alone.
I noticed you posted Complications and Risks. While most of us have googled and read these stats,
please try not to dwell on that info.

When you show up on Thursday it's a big day for you but just another Thursday for the medical professionals you'll be dealing with. I'm sure you'll find them attentive, consoling and they will put your mind at ease. They do this every day, want the best possible outcome for you and will work toward that end. They will be able to give you something for anxiety. Take it, it will help. Everything moves so quickly you'll be surprised. They keep you pretty busy with questions, chatter and prep that you don't have a lot of time to get in a twist. And if you cry, no worries, they see it everyday!

Try to stay busy today and tomorrow as a distraction. Come here if you're afraid....we're good hand holders.
I reached out in a panic on the eve of my surgery and laughed when I quickly got responses. One from Ireland, one from Scotland, I thought it was a joke. But no, it's not. Just real people who've been through it, understand the anxiety it produces and are here to help. Please take advantage, we don't mind,

Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as you await Thursday. You're going to do great!!

Getting rid of that horrid hip pain...:yes!:
Will be thinking of you.:)

Good luck tomorrow @LINDZ1975 ......keep focussed on the difference this will make, and remember you don't have so much time to worry once you're in the thick of things at the hospital. Looking forward to seeing your Recovery thread :flwrysmile:

You sure will..:friends:
Will be looking for you on the healing side!
Bye bye bad hip!:yahoo:

Yippie Skippie you're almost on the flip side.:happydance:
We'll be waiting with flowers and fireworks. You're going to love it over there :yes:
Thinking of you as you await tomorrow. You're going to do great! :yes!:
@LINDZ1975

All the best tomorrow @LINDZ1975 ! See you on the other side soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts