Revision THR Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansabosa

senior
Country
Turkey Turkey
Dear All,

İ am now 12 hours post surgery. İt is still the 20th of February in İstanbul.

İ follow the matra- Rest when you need, icing, elevation and medication on time!

Pain management is under control. As advised especialy by the moderators here, i am ahead of the pain and don't let it increase its level and take me down. İ briefed my husband in advance in case i would be dizzy and dont follow it diligently. He is well trained and so cooperative!

Having had so many ops, it is my first time with epidural and i am so happy with the result. i believe the impact of epidural helped significantly for relativeley less blood loss(thus you get up easier in term of general condition) as well as better pain management.

PCA pump is on and so far i did not need to press the bottom. (knock on the wood) but they also apply tradamol and parasetaol intravenously and probably every 6 hours. İt is the second time since i am back in the room which was lunch time. Now it is 21:00 (9pm)

İ got up 1-2 hours i came into my room withe supervision of the physio. And later in the afternoon with the nurses. The second time was kind of dizzy and funny to remark i dont have my control over my unoperated leg(like the stroke patients) and they mentioned it id due to the drugs given. Need a couple of more hours.

İ also have pneumatic pump for both legs that massage me which is for the prvenetion of clotting i assume.
İt is good that its winter since they applied the special long sexy socks in the op room. İt would be harder in summer time. İstanbul is probably in the smae weather like London or NY now.

Setting beside all the above, the most important thing is the outcome of the surgery. THe surgeon did not need to do an osteotomy in addition to the prostesis. He applied delta ceramic but i forgot the rest he mentioned about the stem. İ can step on my leg...There was also risk of trochanter fracture which did nit happen as well.

The other most important thing is the way you handle hings in your mind. The positive mindset! İ had been postponing the operation and was very much afraid of it. İ consulted some surgeons who said i cant do this case.
Thus it all grew in my mind as a monster. This forum, ALL of you helped me to take the decision to have the operation earlier and and helped me to get prepred in my mind, encouraged me. My husband says the forum has been your psychoterapist!

Will continue tomorrow!

Greetings from istanbul
Selin

Good job, Selin! Sounds like everything is going exceedingly well. I agree about the fact that this forum has been my therapy and will continue to be. You can now relax because the best part is here, the fears are gone.

—Susan

Wonderful. Question: At this point in time, did your pre op worries seem unfounded when it comes to pain or expectations or anything else that you might have worried about?

What I wouldn't give to have 2 good hips to travel around Istanbul. So much wonderful history in that city

So glad to hear it all went so well for you, sounds like you had a good experience....now you can relax and get on with the healing. Keep posting as to how you are doing. How long will you be in the hospital?

That's wonderful-- no osteotomy, no breaks, cracks or bumps. Just the brand new hip you deserve. And you finally got rid of all that metal junk. Good riddance. I am glad your experience has been so good. Your husband sounds like a sweetie and he's right, you are a Bonesmart poster child!! Can't wait to follow your progress. Love Vicki

A wonderful report Selin. I agree about having to wear the Teds in the winter, makes it a little more bearable when it is cold outside.

So pleased you didn't need any extras done and that having the epidural worked well for you.....your new pain free life is well on its way now

Take care

Ann.x.

You have a PCA pump? Push the button once in a while just for good measure, and stay ahead of the pain. Really. That's what it's there for.
I'm so glad everything has gone so very well for you:yes!:

Selin, so happy to see that things went as well as they could have. Sounds like you had a great surgeon. And I agree with sissy46. Use the pain pump! There's no heroism in suffering. Hope all continues to go well.

Glad to hear that it all went well, and that you are on the other side. Good luck with the recovery from here on in.
(Sooo impressed that you are able to post so well in a foreign language so soon!)

Congrats Selin, I am so excited for you! You've got your new hip and are feeling all warm and cozy. Epidurals are wonderful aren't they? I had the compression leggings too. Most people find them annoying but I loved mine. It felt like a light massage on my legs and I found that very comforting. I'm so glad to hear you are comfortable and sounds like you are aware of needing to stay that way. It's wonderful that you have such a supportive hubby to look after you as well. Get some good rest and look forward to an update soon.

Gentle Hugs,

Weezi

Well done Selin sounds like you are doing so well and that the surgery was even better than you were expecting What a wonderful outcome congratulations and really look forward to hearing about your progress from here It's wonderful that your OS and the hospital care is so good Keep up the good work. Regards Kim

welcome 14.jpg
SELIN TO
other side.jpg

So wonderful that it turned out to be a pretty straight forward surgery with no complications. And you are being so smart to follow the mantra. It makes a world of difference in recovery. And hang on to that positive mental attitude---it will do wonders for you.
Take care and keep us posted when you're us to it. We care. hug, pooh 1.jpg

Welcome Selin! Glad to hear everything worked out great! :kittykiss:

Dear All
Thanks to all your comments
As to the question of ukisgr8, i was worried about epidural which turned out to be a better option in terms of post op recovery. But more than that i was worried about the trochanter fracture and the need of an osteotomy due o a deformed femur (hip bone) anatomy.

Last year we travelled to different sites, to hip replacement experts in the US and Switzerland. One of them was at HSS in NY, who mentioned osteotomy is a must, he cant do it otherwise. The other OS was in Chicago at Rush med center and he mentioned that the difficulty is to place the prosthesis without breaking the trochanter...the third OS in Zurich did not convince me either...i think "practice brings perfect"is a good idiom. Regular hip replacements are like changing the tire of a car, but complicated cases need good technicians with a lot of practice...

İ am now 24 hours post surgery. My PCA pump is gone, and they continue with İV (paracetamol and tradamol) and oral medication( NSAİ)
Yesterday i had no pain, bu after the PCA pump gone now, i do have a pain level of around 3-4. That is the negative part but tolarable and the good part is the PCA pump affected my other hip (senseless) and i was not really able to walk. Kind of falling effect like stroke paients. 2-3 hours after the PCA i can walk now, at least trust the other leg. The effect of neause due to morphine is gone too.
Thus there is a balance between getting back to normal with slight pain and no pain but being in the clouds...
The pain level increased slightl after the physio session but they double iced the leg thus its relieved now.
The other issue is that my hemoglobin level dropped a bit (from 13,5 to 9,5 ) which is something i was expecting and i kind of fainted while walking in the morning but my second attempt of walk today was much better. i am giving myself some time, not forcing.
But overall, all is on track at post op 24 hours!

Fantastic Selin... Your recovery has begun :)

Well done Selin you are making great strides and have a wonderful positive attitude which is a great inspiration to me as my surgery date gets closer. Keep up the good work and keep us up to date Regards Kim

Thank you Kim22
You will be fine before the easter time at the end of march.

İ already feel much better compared to the morning.
Ups and downs are normal but overall i can feel the progress every hour.
Funny observation, 1 hour after the pain med, i fall asleep like a new born baby)))
İ am just listening to my body, when to eat, what to drink ( no spirits yet) , when to sleep, when to walk.
No hurries but ofcourse the mantra is applied with full discipline.

Congrats on your successful surgery - I'm so glad your trochanter didn't fracture. I'm sure you'll be up and about in no time at all. I am looking forward to when I can update everyone post-surgery - I must now wait another 5 weeks. :doh: The more time that goes by and the more time i spend reading this forum is giving me comfort and removing my fears of surgery. My surgeon is very good I hear - and I had the chance to meet a very complicated case - a man who only had one leg - who was tickled pink at his results - and my chiropractor has had nothing but praises for this very young surgeon. I look forward to hearing more about your recovery, as I await my new life day. Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Tracey :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker