THR Coming Home After Surgery

lizard615

Country
United States United States
So I live by myself. My surgery is on August 4. My initial plan was to go to my brothers for a few days after release. However, I can hardly walk right now and think that maybe this is probably worse than after surgery. I’m having a hard time just functioning. Any thoughts on going home after surgery if I live by myself?I’m staying in the hospital for two nights.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Here is some information for you:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@lizard615 You will be fully mobile before you leave the hospital. No, the discomfort is not worse post op. All that bone on bone pain will be gone.

I spent most of my recovery days alone and had no problem. It's nice if you have someone stop by each day in the early days. But it's not necessary.

Pink Peony

Country
Lizard - I was facing this exact same situation, and in my history (not sure how to link to my post), I had some great responses.

I did the home prep - e.g. removing entry carpet, made sure I had clear walkway for my walker. For meal prep, I had some frozen meals that I like from Trader Joe's, fruit, and crackers (was recommended by this forum). Several people prepared their meals and found they didn't eat them, and that would have been the situation for me. I still have some left over crackers (I don't eat on a regular basis), canned salmon, etc. that I thought I might need, but didn't. What was handy is the prepared protein drink (Trader Joe's), which was easy to open, and required no effort.

Since I currently don't have any dogs, I didn't have to worry about how to manage, your situation may be different.

I had a friend spend the first night, as I had outpatient surgery (in at 9:00, home by 3:00), and it was required to have someone stay with me for the first 24 hours. I had purchased a lift recliner and it was fantastic, as I slept in it for 2 nights. Essentially, the recliner, quick trips to my bathroom, and quick trips to the kitchen was all I did for the first few days. I had a friend stop by the following day, and she offered to come again, but honestly, I just wanted to sleep. For me, I found it a bit stressful to have friends stopping by, as I felt I needed to be the hostess, when in reality I just wanted to cocoon and sleep. Obviously everyone is different. Also, I have had zero post surgical issues, but had my friends ready in case I needed more help and/or would need to go to the hospital. I don't have family that lives in my area, but if your brother is able to assist, that would have been a perfect scenario for me.

Looking back, and thanks to this forum I think the key for me was to have a plan in place in case I needed more help than expected.

EDIT: One more recommendation - I purchased an Ossur ice machine and it is also my best friend. The doctor provided Plasma Flow to prevent DVT. Between the recliner, ice machine, Plasma Flow, TV and computer, I was very happy in my cocoon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lizard615

Country
Thank you all! I’ve pretty much made up my mind that as long as everything is good I’ll go home after surgery. I have a lot of people that will check on me and I will always have my phone with me!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

lizard615

Country
So coming home after surgery, I don’t have a recliner. Did everyone that didn’t have a recliner just go right to their beds? Or to the couch?

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I wasn't able to sleep in my bed for a couple of weeks. I could lie down for a short period of time but then it began to cause me pain.

I am a huge fan of renting an electric lift recliner an sleeping in that. You are able to gather things around it, like a little table for your necessities and it is quite cozy. They can be found at most Home Health Supply stores.
It's not that you absolutely need to have a recliner, some of our members did well without, but this girl was so happy in hers!
They are made os some sort of fake leather/vinyl material so can be wiped down easily and disinfected... I also draped a cover over it.
I am getting all relaxed just remembering how cozy it was and how it lifted me to help me to get up out of it.
If your couch is similar to most, it might be a little too low for you at first. Some members were able to raise their couch, chair up by using wooden blocks or would platforms that were made for them.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom