TKR Coming along<<

@kneeper
I go to see my OS tommorow because when I called the office to ask.if I could get some Voltaren gel prescribed, the med nurse asked why I needed it. I told her I was having tendon pain and she said OS would have to see me first before prescribing. I can't take NSAIDS but the pharmacist told me I could use the gel because it doesnt get absorbed the same as pills.

@NavyGunns
So today I walked in local Mall for 30 minutes stiff leg and all, no problem. I later went to BJs for some errands but after 15 minutes, I hit a wall, had to get off my leg, so I rested while my hub did the rest of the shopping. I will continue because despite the knee still being stiff. It feels good to strengthen that weak knee naturally through walking.

@Elad1002, you know what to do afterwards so I won’t say it. You also know what feels good and what you believe will help in the long run. You are doing well, keep it up.

Let us know how the visit with the OS goes.

I know that everyone has a different experience but how long before the stiffness leaves. Other than some apparent tendonitis, my knee does not look swollen, I'm able to get around better but I still have quite the stiffness. I cant take NSAIDS because of the anti-anxiety meds or Turmeric because it's an MAO inhibitor that I cant take with an antidepressant. Just wondering if it's normal to have such stiffness at 4 mos post op?

Last edited:
@Elad1002 being on this holiday I find myself doing much more walking than I was. After all there is no snow or ice here! I do get swollen when I walk a lot or stand around a lot but I find the swelling goes down overnight and my mobility and stamina are just a little bit better the next day. Also, it's a holiday so I don't have to do it every day, I have time to rest. My biggest problem is stamina at this point. Being down with a bum knee and then recovering from the surgery have taken their toll. Sounds to me like you're pretty much in the same spot - minus the heat! I agree with @NavyGunns, sounds like you're coming along well.

@grandma chris
Sounds like you are coming along well! I am still having great difficulty staying asleep. I wake up after 3 hours and then have to go to work. I'm exhausted at work and my leg is tight so I get frustrated easily. I am considering retirement, but that idea seems daunting right now. I got depressed being home alone all day, Dont want to do that again.
The reason I had this surgery was to be able to get continue working. I'm going to OS today.

@Elad1002 Good morning!.... just read through this page and I like what you said here....

"... I will continue because despite the knee still being stiff. It feels good to strengthen that weak knee naturally through walking. "

It's that perseverance that will continue to see you through this recovery.... hang in there with me girl!.... sooner or later the pain and stiffness will subside and we will be dancing the Irish Jig next St. Paddy's day... :dancy:

@JDinCT
Thanks for the support. Today it is very stiff and I'm working. I have good flexion and extension, the odd ache and pain, but this stiffness is frustrating. I dont even know if it's ok to be walking on it if its stiff like this, I have no choice while working.

I walked in local Mall for 30 minutes stiff leg and all, no problem. I later went to BJs for some errands but after 15 minutes, I hit a wall, had to get off my leg,
You did a lot of walking yesterday, more than your knee was ready for. I was just like that at 4 months.

The stiffness can last for a long time--for me particularly after standing for a long time or sitting for a long time. But it will improve. I'm sure the working is taxing it. When I went back to work at 3 months and even 4 months I had the same thought "when will this stiffness go away?" It did, but it was gradual. One day you'll have stood for a long time or put in a full day at work and suddenly realize "I'm not stiff like I was!"

I went to see my OS today. He X-rayed and examined my knee. I asked him all my questions and he patiently answered each one. He said that it may take a while for the stiffness to leave. He also said the weakness in my leg is due to the quad tendon healing and said it can take up to 2 years after surgery according to recent research. He also said that I have patellar tendonitis and gave me Voltaren gel since I cant take NSAIDS orally...apparently the absorption is different when applied topically. He recommended aqua therapy for gentle water walking.
I also got a sleep med which I will try tonight, I need to sleep more than 3 hours a night while working.
He addressed the pain in my kneecap, said that when the quad is weak, the knee takes the load.
He was especially compassionate and caring, just what I needed.

That was an awesome appointment! He seems to really understand this recovery. Some surgeons don’t.

@Elad1002, I’m glad to hear what your OS says about healing and muscle recovery. It backs up information I just posted on another members thread regarding muscle strength recovery:
“I read someplace (wish I remembered where) that for every month you don’t exercise due to an injury recovery, it takes at least twice that time to recover the lost muscle strength and tone to get back to where you were before hand. So far, that seems to hold true for me, both for this knee and for a previous abdominal surgery. I didn’t do any leg exercises for at least 6 months, so that means it will take me about a year to recover leg strength and tone to where I was presurgery. It was definitely the case with my abdominal muscles. A full 18 months before I could do the same number of sit ups as prior to surgery.”

@Elad1002 - Dale, I've moved the post you made on the wrong thread and put it into your own thread. Thank you for noticing.

To answer the question you posted on that thread:
Yes, it is normal for your knee to still feel stiff at 4 months post-op. That stiffness will fade away gradually, as your recovery progresses. Some people find it goes away quite early, but others complain of stiffness for several more months. It's hard to predict when the stiffness will go away, but you can be sure that it will do so eventually.

@Elad1002,

Glad you had a good appointment. And the information you shared is very interesting.
I still get stiff too but it's good to know it's expected.

I saw my OS this morning for a cortisone injection in the other knee before our cruise. He asked how I was doing and I told him I was really great. Have enough flexion to sleep in a fetal position like I've always done. Of course when I wake up I'm stiff and have some tenderness in the knee which I have to work out with walking.

Hope you sleep better tonight.

@Elad1002 Great to hear your follow-up with the OS was informative and positive. It's SO difficult to be patient with the pace of recovery from this surgery.... I have to tell myself that each day... I'm not very good at being patient... and I struggle every day to take it easy and just let it come.

Hope your new sleep meds provide you at least some quality sleep.
It's a new day.... First Day of Spring... enjoy it!:flwrysmile:

@JDinCT
Thanks JD. Yes, it is a long recovery and I was not prepared for it to be so long. I questioned my OS about why I was not prepared and he said be ause some people have quicker recoveries than others, etc. I wasn't happy with that answer but not much to do about it now. I am sore from being on my feet so much yesterday. I will rest and ice today for sure. I'm worried about the ability to continue my job at this pace. Even though Im.only working half time, it's still can be physically demanding. One day at a time.

@Elad1002,

How did you sleep?
I think going back to work adds another level of difficulty to this recovery. I’m retired but question if I could have gone back to nursing at 12 weeks.
I still think yoy are doing great. Give yourself lots of credit. Each week will probably get easier.

@gia2cats
I'm finding work to be exhausting. I am doing the best I can, however because the old anxiety symptoms have flared up, its especially difficult. Now its health anxiety, worrying about my recovery. I am seeing a therapist who wants me to write out the worst case scenarios that could happen in this recovery process, and read them every day. It's called exposure therapy and scares the heck out of me. I'm going to give it a go though. The belief is that when you expose excessive worrying for what it is, it diffuses. We all live with uncertainty but it has been especially difficult for me given my history. I've probably said too much, but I believe this site to be a place to share such intimacies. The future is always a big question mark, but after surgery it adds a little more to be concerned about. Dealing with an arthritic knee is awful, but Im fi ding that not knowing what the future may hold for an implant is more difficult. Just where I'm at right now.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom