Cold water therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipstrmama

Country
United States United States
I'm scheduled for THR in a couple weeks and my surgeon recommended a cold water therapy machine. They seem to be quite expensive and not covered by insurance, so I wanted to know if anyone has used one and found it to be worth the expense. It seems the alternative would just be to have lots of frozen gel packs and rotate them through the freezer... Thank you!!

Hi @hipstrmama , I am nearly 2 wks post op, and have managed absolutely fine with ice packs rotated in the freezer. I bought a few smaller ones but have found a large oblong one, about 13 x 20 in, most useful. It remains slightly flexible when frozen, and was purchased from amazon. Hope that helps.
Good luck with the op!

So helpful, @Delphi! Thanks for the advice and good luck with recovery!!

I agree. 4 large ones so you constantly have them to hand. I iced practically 24/7 and found the gel packs invaluable as a natural painkiller which made mobility that much easier. I'd say save the money - and when you're fully recovered they'll come in handy for picnics! Best wishes :cheers:

Completely agree with @Delphi the long gel ice packs from Amazon work perfectly and are not too hard. Can't think that you would need anything more than a few of these that you can rotate.
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@hipstrmama I bought a package of 6 gel packs and rotated them from the freezer. The freeze very quickly and don't take up much space. A much more cost effective solution.

Thank you all so much! I'm going the ice pack route and ordering from Amazon!!

I'm using mine now. I also used a gel Pac last night. To do it over again, I'd still purchase my cold therapy machine. Overall, it allows me more uninterrupted sleep. The gel pac route definitely works too! Strictly personal choice.

I used ice packs. They worked beautifully. I did run out of ice, though. I didn't realize it would melt so quickly in the summer heat. My neighbor brought me a bag of ice from the grocery store. I went back to hydrotherapy after about two months. I still like ice the best, and use it if I overdo.

I hate to say it... I live in Ireland... the best pain relief I have ever had is to get into the sea!!!! It's REALLY cold but the pain relief is incredible!!! Would you maybe even try ice baths? Like you'd have after a long run? Worth it I promise!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I got the machine for my first surgery mainly because I have a genetic mutation that may cause dvt. My husband used after his knee surgery and I used it for my next 2 hip surgeries. Except, on the last surgery the other night, it leaked all over my bed. These expensive machines have only a 90 day warranty!!! And they want to charge me for the part!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member