Cold season

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

I was wondering, if they make you take antibiotics for dental work, is there as much of a concern for upper respiratory stuff? I work in a school district and thereis always something going around.
Tom

Hi Tom
I keep forgetting to ask my doc that question. I think for anything that is bacterial we would need to be treated. Viruses, such as the common cold no treatment. Of course we would have to determine what is what!!!

Judy

Upper respiratory infections are usually caused by viruses which are of no consequence. It's the bacterial infections that are a hazard. This includes almost any bacterial infection but specifically

Dental abscesses, throat abscesses like quinsy or tonsillitis, pharyngitis but rarely laryngitis which tends to be viral
Urinary tract infections from cystitis (bladder) to kidney infections
Pneumonia, bronchitis,
pleurisy and lung abscesses
Any other abscesses on the body

Dental work and or cleaning is a problem because the mouth is dirty and such work dumps a large quantity of bacteria into the blood stream. This can circulate for some days and if it settles in or around the joint/prosthesis can be almost impossible for the body's natural immune system to take care. This is due to the presence of the foreign body which tends to encourage the bacteria growth. Therefore, an absolute minimum of 14 days prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotics is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom