Cold/Fever 2 days before surgery! FREAKING OUT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapan

Country
Canada Canada
Hi everyone. My LTHR surgery is set on July 15th, 2009 (just 2 days) and currently I have a very mild cold with a very slight fever (just because body feels warm but otherwise thermometer reports body temperature normal). I have been treating it the entire day today by making sure I gargle with hot salt water, Robitussin, and cleaning my stuffy nose. I have seen a great amount of improvement in a matter of just about 7 hours, hopefully it will be back to normal by tomorrow night.

Will this create any complication for surgery? I know I should be calling my surgeon and letting him know; however, I can only do that tomorrow morning which I will.

Based on people with this same condition in the past, how likely is your surgery to continue OR get postponed? I really don't want to postpone my surgery as I have my entire next 4 months planned out exactly!

Thanks guys for your input.

Tough call, Tap! When you wake up in the morning, see how you feel! Take your temp....if you have ANY temp, it would be wise to call your OS! I hope you don't have to cancel...but you need to be honest!! Good luck and let us know how you are!

I agree I think your ok if you dont have a temp. I had a stuffy nose and sore throat but it was just allergies. I told them and they check the fever and it was all ok. I had no fever. Keep taking the medicine tonight and see how you feel in the morning. Good Greif I hope you feel much better then!!!!!!

A cold is a viral infection, not bacterial. Especially if it's mild I bet everything will be fine. But you still should contact your surgeon's office to advise them.

Sorry about the cold. You definately should call in the a.m. Same thing happened to me in Jan before back surgery. I think if I did not have a fever I was ok. My surgery did proceed. I did have a cough after which hurt like heck, but it was back surgery and all my ribs were inflammed. Different animal
Good Luck
judy

I know Im waiting to hear as well about the cold.I hope its gone...........................Yes and Tapan good luck on your surgery we will all be waiting for you when you get back. I know you will do just fine. Just do what the Dr tells you ice foresure, medicine, and relax. You will be in my prayrs. Post when you can..

hey tapan. i know exactly how you feel, i'd wait till tomorrow and before i'd think the work temperature i'd go by the thermometer. i'll be praying for you. here is a little good news. i left the OR in tears because i got all the way there before they found out i had a uti. i was postponed two weeks and felt like i was just gonna die. anyhow on to the good part. the second time i didnt even tell my family i was going for surgery. yes they were upset when i called them after, but pt says i'm weeks ahead, my leg feels great and i've gained those two weeks back in the recovery. to the point that my once hesitant os is even keeping the second surgery on time. you are alot younger then me and have been thru alot of the same stuff so there is no dbout that if worse comes to worse you will be just fine and make up that time in the recovery. ok, now i'm still betting its a 24 hour sinus bug. put vicks on hot shower and take it easy till the morning i bet youlll be 100%. in the meantime i'll be praying for you.
monique

hey tapan. i know exactly how you feel, i'd wait till tomorrow and before i'd think the work temperature i'd go by the thermometer. i'll be praying for you. here is a little good news. i left the OR in tears because i got all the way there before they found out i had a uti. i was postponed two weeks and felt like i was just gonna die. anyhow on to the good part. the second time i didnt even tell my family i was going for surgery. yes they were upset when i called them after, but pt says i'm weeks ahead, my leg feels great and i've gained those two weeks back in the recovery. to the point that my once hesitant os is even keeping the second surgery on time. you are alot younger then me and have been thru alot of the same stuff so there is no dbout that if worse comes to worse you will be just fine and make up that time in the recovery. ok, now i'm still betting its a 24 hour sinus bug. put vicks on hot shower and take it easy till the morning i bet youlll be 100%. in the meantime i'll be praying for you.
monique

Thanks monique! I really appreciate all your concerns guys, it is really kind of you all. I think it was more of the mental stress of the operation that led to my body condition; however, it has been confirmed by my surgeon's receptionist (since my surgeon was on call for surgery) that I will be fine! :D

She also said that during winter, my surgeon has performed many THR surgeries for patients suffering from heavy bronchitis. All the doctor and the anesthesiologist want to make sure is that my lungs are clear of congestion (mild is acceptable) and that I am able to breath comfortably through my nose or mouth (which I am without any blockages). So keeping my fingers crossed, I am going to pray that everything will be fine. I should really sleep within an hour as I have to be at the the hospital at 6 in the morning.

Well folks, this is it! This is the moment I have been waiting for. Tomorrow's the day...the day of joy. I don't think I will be taking my laptop to the hospital, so I guess I will let you guys know in about 2-3 days about my recovery. This forum has been very helpful to me and I really appreciate all your efforts in guiding my way through my worries and questions. Talk to you soon. It has definitely boosted my will power and confidence. Wish me luck guys :D

Yeah !!!! I am so happy for you. You will be fine, Im sure. Have good thoughts when you go to surgery. We will be waiting to hear from you , when you feel up to it please post. I think you will be happy in time. It will be hard at first , take your medicine and ice. Good Luck to you. You have all us bonesmarties behind you !!!!lol. We will be here after for anything we can help you with you are never alone !!!!!!!!Talk soon.. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!

Best wishes for a safe and successful surgery, Tapan. We'll be waiting to talk to you when you're on the other side.

Good night Tap. Sleep well. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

So glad you have your reassurance from the doc's office. Best of luck for a speedy recovery filled with friends , yes us
judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties