TKR Cocopug Recovery Journey

9 weeks and 4 days post op. My recovery has been going mostly well. I have had 5 procedures not including the TKR on my right knee. My recovery won’t be as quick or as smooth as some.
Today I woke in pain and have been virtually unable to walk the length of my living room. I’m doing the PT and walking etc. I am so confused with where I should be on a sliding scale of recovery.

How is your range of motion?

I also had 6 procedures total, and at 9 weeks was also still in a lot of pain and unable to do much.

I am now at 4-1/2 months and recently the pain level really started to decrease, though my flexion is still poor and not improving, sadly.

if you’ve got enough range of motion, stick it out, you’ll get there.

Hi, Cocopug... we are only one day apart for our TKR. I remember you talking about your little Pug. Our Felicity still guards me a lot, & if on my back, she still loves to lay on my stomach! But at least, I am now able to sleep on our bed, & On my side!
Like you, when I first wake up, my knee hurts pretty bad, even when I wake up 2:30-3 for a thirsty drink & run to the bathroom. (whoops! Change that “ run” to “ slowly walk”!) ☺️. I’m thinking it could be due to the fact that the leg is somewhat immobile after being asleep for some time? I try to walk around the house frequently, & to do my “ homework “ exercises my PT gave me - not sure if that helps. I’m still struggling with fatigue & lack of appetite from my 2nd surgery & the antibiotic, but I figure this is just often a longer process than we expect.☹️. I’m hoping as of this writing, you have improved throughout the day. But I agree, it is a bit disconcerting to wake up to that pain. I just wanted you to know, I am thinking about you, & hope it is better. Take care.

@Cocopug I am so sorry you are feeling so much pain today, I hope by this stage of the day you might have loosened out a little and be feeling better. Today is a day to rest, elevate and ice! It’s possible you overdid things yesterday and this is just your knee’s way of letting you know. You don’t mention a fall or current injury so I am hoping today is just a blip on your recovery. Don’t let anyone push you in PT so hard it hurts and don’t do it to yourself either!
We all go through the two steps forward and one step back , in fact sometimes it’s more like one step forward and two steps back:heehee:
I am about 1 week ahead of you with a left TKR, at 5 weeks had a bad setback and only this morning have I felt like I am back to where I was pre setback- BoneSmart slow and steady is what helped me along with a load of Gabapentin. I am happy to have the activity level of someone at 5 weeks post surgery even though I am actually10 weeks as it means instead of continuing to slide backwards I am looking forward to improving and getting better. We all take strange turns and twists on our recovery journey and hopefully today is just a little bend in the road for you and tomorrow will be clear driving( I so wanted to say clear sailing but it would mix my metaphor:sad:)
Hug Coco pug for me - my four dogs , Madra, Cookie, Dana and Cara :puppysmooze: send their regards!

9 and a half weeks is still early in this year long recovery. Things will get better, just not as fast as we’d like. :console2:

@Cocopug I am so sorry you are feeling so much pain today, I hope by this stage of the day you might have loosened out a little and be feeling better. Today is a day to rest, elevate and ice! It’s possible you overdid things yesterday and this is just your knee’s way of letting you know. You don’t mention a fall or current injury so I am hoping today is just a blip on your recovery. Don’t let anyone push you in PT so hard it hurts and don’t do it to yourself either!
We all go through the two steps forward and one step back , in fact sometimes it’s more like one step forward and two steps back:heehee:
I am about 1 week ahead of you with a left TKR, at 5 weeks had a bad setback and only this morning have I felt like I am back to where I was pre setback- BoneSmart slow and steady is what helped me along with a load of Gabapentin. I am happy to have the activity level of someone at 5 weeks post surgery even though I am actually10 weeks as it means instead of continuing to slide backwards I am looking forward to improving and getting better. We all take strange turns and twists on our recovery journey and hopefully today is just a little bend in the road for you and tomorrow will be clear driving( I so wanted to say clear sailing but it would mix my metaphor:sad:)
Hug Coco pug for me - my four dogs , Madra, Cookie, Dana and Cara :puppysmooze: send their regards!
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am also at the hospital every week, because of ear and skin infections that won’t go away. These began after I left hospital. The drs think my resistance is so low I can’t fight infection at the moment.
I want to get back to work, but it would be impossible at the moment. Coco sends his best puggy love to your fur babies

How is your range of motion?

I also had 6 procedures total, and at 9 weeks was also still in a lot of pain and unable to do much.

I am now at 4-1/2 months and recently the pain level really started to decrease, though my flexion is still poor and not improving, sadly.

if you’ve got enough range of motion, stick it out, you’ll get there.
Thank you, I hope I can follow your lead

@Cocopug - I do understand about being so run down that it’s almost impossible to get over infections. I spent years on medication that caused me to be immune suppressed , having to be so vigilant regarding potential infections. I truly wish you good health and happy healing.
Don’t rush or push yourself back to work- coco pug doesn’t want you to leave yet!:puppysmooze:

It’s been 16 weeks since I had a TKR and I am unfortunately still not walking well and my extension is still at 10 despite weeks and months of physio. I go into hospital yet again next Tuesday for MUA. Has anyone had this done for a leg that won’t straighten?
I have had 6 procedures done on this leg and have a lot of scar tissue

I have been doing absolutely everything possible for months. During PT and at home.
it is a total nightmare and now MUA is the only option. I have scar tissue from 5 previous surgeries. I couldn’t have done more than I have. My frustration is great!!!
Thank you for commenting

I have no suggestions but :console2:

Hello everyone,
I had my MUA today and all went to plan.
I’m not in pain but a little discomfort.
I had a brace made this morning after the procedure and I have to use a machine for 72 hours I think it’s called a CMP machine.
So far so good

Attachments

• 92FACC84-C281-4832-962E-29285E13EC1C.jpeg
    92FACC84-C281-4832-962E-29285E13EC1C.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 23
@Cocopug Best wises as you continue to heal.

I think it’s called a CMP machine.

The machine you’re using is a Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) machine, so you were close!

Was this done on your newest, left TKR? The reason I ask is that you posted this on your older thread for your right knee. If it’s the new left knee, I’ll move this post to that thread for you. :flwrysmile:

All the right letter but not in the correct order

I can feel the back of my left knee now touching the bed after my MUA on Thursday. My thigh muscles are screaming though. On the
@Cocopug Best wises as you continue to heal.

I think it’s called a CMP machine.

The machine you’re using is a Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) machine, so you were close!

Was this done on your newest, left TKR? The reason I ask is that you posted this on your older thread for your right knee. If it’s the new left knee, I’ll move this post to that thread for you. :flwrysmile:
yes it’s my left knee. The same procedure as the right knee nearly 2 years ago. The MUA on left was done on the 9th November 2023

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads