TKR Cocopug Recovery Journey

Nearly at 6 weeks post op. I feel like I might have turned a corner in my recovery. My PT went well today. They said that they were pleased with my progress. I explained what my realistic expectations were and that I wasn’t a fan of adding more pain on top of the pain I have everyday. I was a bit uncomfortable when I got home, but I iced the knee and took 2 paracetamol. I did 7 minutes on the bike, 5x10 leg presses at 50kg and the treadmill and some balance exercises as this is a problem for me because of nerve damage in my left ( not op leg)
Foot which was the result of a prior surgery 3 years ago.

I’m glad you feel you’ve turned a corner!

Watch your knee carefully, it is a bit early in this recovery to be doing leg presses. The bike is good, though.

Leg presses seem to be the norm here in NL.
I feel like I question my PT a lot and so gave in and did the leg presses.
I did far too much walking today and now I am really suffering now. Ran too many errands.
I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 6 week check.
I don’t know where he expects me to be on the recovery spectrum. I will keep you posted.

Hello everyone,
Went for my 6 week after surgery check up and everything looks good. The X-rays showed that the new knee was in the right place and there were no anomalies. He was very happy with the bend of the knee ( very good) he said, and mumbled 105 I think
I need to work on the extension though.
He was happy with the way I was walking and doesn’t need to see me for a year if all goes well.
My left knee also will need replacement but I want to see if I can forestall that as long as humanly possible. He said carry on doing what you are with the PT to improve ROM even further. He said the first 3 months are usually quite hellish

Even though I had quite a painful and uncomfortable night, I went to PT I walked there and back on crutches.
I spoke to her about my lack of extension and so at the end of the gym session she worked the back of my knee and said it was hard. I must say that it was quite uncomfortable while she did it and I was worried it would hurt when she finished. So far good
I also walked with my husband and the pug Coco for about 30 minutes this afternoon.
I have managed all day without pain relief. The PT told me to take 2 paracetamol before bed.
I do hope that I am finally turning a corner in this recovery. I woke up very disheartened, but feel positive at the moment. Here’s hoping this positivity continues. I will keep you posted.

Great to read your positive report. Looking forward to when I can add my own. Glad you are recovering and feel you have turned a corner. Keep taking care of yourself.

Great to read your positive report. Looking forward to when I can add my own. Glad you are recovering and feel you have turned a corner. Keep taking care of yourself.
Thank you, all the best to you. I’m sure I’ll have not so good days, but a day at a time

You are doing great, @Cocopug ! Remember you are only 6 weeks in so early days. Hang in there!

You are doing great, @Cocopug ! Remember you are only 6 weeks in so early days. Hang in there!
Thank you,
I think considering the dreadful pain I was in the first 2/3 weeks, I’m just so happy for it to be just an annoying ache and odd twinges that are not pleasant. I’m doing exercises to help my extensions and they do hurt a bit

Just reading your posts, & am reminded of a recent conversation with my oldest sister ( she just turned 80 in October!). She had a fall in the middle of the night & likely had a concussion ( she was quite sick with a virus). It’s a somewhat slow recovery for her, & she is also very active, like me. Her Dr told her, “ remember, if you are just a Little better each day, that’s progress. Recovery can be slow”. I try to remind myself of that daily now. I think we are a day apart in our surgeries. I’m set back some from this infection & more surgery, looking forward to catching up. Meanwhile, my two favorite nurses - husband & kitty, take excellent care of me. I’m guessing your little pug is helping out also. Our little friends really seem to sense when we are struggling. Miss Felicity often purrs me to sleep. looking forward to your progress.

I’m doing exercises to help my extensions and they do hurt a bit
You do’t have to do any exercise that hurts. Pain is a signal you are not ready for that exercise/movement. Extension can take a while to return, but it will, in time. Just walking will help it.

I keep thinking the same about walking. I have been told to put a rolled up bath towel under my heel and let the back of the knee hang. I have to massage the bend in my knee quite hard and I don’t like that either. I tried it this morning for less than a minute and stopped. I’m 7 weeks post op. I’m so fed up with pain I really don’t like inflicting it on myself

You’re right, some exercises are just inflicting more pain on yourself, which is counterproductive. Feel free to stop those exercises that do.

Just reading your posts, & am reminded of a recent conversation with my oldest sister ( she just turned 80 in October!). She had a fall in the middle of the night & likely had a concussion ( she was quite sick with a virus). It’s a somewhat slow recovery for her, & she is also very active, like me. Her Dr told her, “ remember, if you are just a Little better each day, that’s progress. Recovery can be slow”. I try to remind myself of that daily now. I think we are a day apart in our surgeries. I’m set back some from this infection & more surgery, looking forward to catching up. Meanwhile, my two favorite nurses - husband & kitty, take excellent care of me. I’m guessing your little pug is helping out also. Our little friends really seem to sense when we are struggling. Miss Felicity often purrs me to sleep. looking forward to your progress.
Thank you, I have to remember that I’m doing ok in my recovery. My PT told me that I’m actually only 7 weeks post op and not 8 as I have been thinking.
I also have had 6 prior operations and procedures on the TKR leg and not to expect the same rate of recovery that others with just the TKR have.
My little pug is always on my lap these days and I have to cover my ice pack with a blanket or he lies right on it.
Wishing you a good recovery ❤️

At the PT again this morning and again in moderate pain. I’m fed up with feeling like this. Every session seems to make me unhappy and uncomfortable and truth be told, I don’t feel any major benefit from it. Next week will be 8 Weeks.
sorry to be so miserable

You can consider stopping formal PT. They are obviously not helping you, and you know enough by now to do things at home that do help.

You can consider stopping formal PT. They are obviously not helping you, and you know enough by now to do things at home that do help.
I could do that and call it a day. The thing is my left leg has serious neuropathy and so my balance is a bit dodgy. I intend to tell her next time not to poke and prod my knee because it is irritating the healing tissues.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back