THR Cocoon to moth

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope you have a great weekend and take time to celebrate how far you've come.
May it keep getting better and better!
@Cecropia

Had to chime in with some encouragement @Cecropia. Always stiff in the morning and when sitting for a long time as so many others have said and my 1st hip was may 1 and still stiff but PT is predicting I have progress yet to be made, and as @Layla said the stiffness dissipates quickly as opposed to before my ops the pain never dissipated, ever, all day and all night! I'm in a winning situation with more improvement to come and from what all you're able to do already I'll bet it's the same for you!:yes:

@ahipgma Thanks for the encouragement. My stiffness is quite painful in the morning. I feel like I'm at a stalling out phase, for that particular symptom. I drove past Gd Rapids to my grand daughter's college yesterday to see her, was fine walking without cane when I left...it's about a 2hr drive. When I got there and got out of the car I could not walk without my cane I stiffen up so quick and it hurts. So I just have quite a time with that.
ROM is pretty darn good tho and I can sleep comfortably on OP side and stomach now. Am trying to be hopeful the future will be better, but I do wonder because not everyone has a good outcome after surgery. The surgery was definitely needed, but there can be complications that never go away, so, yes, I could be one of those people. Will have to wait and see. ♥️

Remember we still have many months of recovery to go yet, @Cecropia ! It seems to me that often, one day you wake up and can do X easily, that you couldn't do the day before. I'm still stiff getting up after sitting for any length of time too. Fingers crossed your (,our) outcome will continue to improve! :fingersx:

You have already come so far @Cecropia and I am sure, as @Calgal says, there is plenty more progress to come. I have the same horrible stiffness and aches as you, but I am hopeful that they will eventually disappear or at least lessen. I too have been feeling a bit low this week, wondering if I will ever be pain-free. Then I remind myself of all the things I am now doing that were either impossible or extremely painful before the surgery.
Here's to all the improvement yet to come! :cheers:

@ Cecropia I do not know if this might help you, but I have a thick foam wedge on my seat in my car to help keep my hips higher than my knees. I use a beaded car seat which I sewed onto the wedge, because I never put my right leg into the car first. Too much pain. I back up to my seat, sit down, put my knees together and use my stomach muscles to swing my legs in, together. I am waiting for hip surgery on my right side. At this point I have no angle restrictions.

@Cecropia It’s your Four Month Anniversary today!

It’s still early days I think and after a 2 hour car ride a cane seems appropriate to get moving again. I’m just 11 days before you on my left hip and mine sure stiffens up too. I have a long drive planned for later October and I’m curious as to how I’ll fare. My other hip will be less than 3 months old so that is a huge question. Now that I’m past the beginning of the healing process I’m trying to look at it by the month and not the week and certainly not the day.

It’ll just keep getting better!

@ceezee I hope your trip is good and pain free. I wanted to go to Tucson to spend my Aunts 90th bday. I don't fly, so it would be a 2-1/2 day drive, 12 hours ea day. I was so depressed that I could not make the trip, but we had a great phone call together. Those are the things that hurt my heart the most, I thought I'd be ready to travel by now. I'm hoping I can make the trip in the spring.

@Cecropia Happy 4Month Anniversary! I know you're not quite where you want to be yet but there's still a lot of healing to happen. I can't remember who on here was saying that they really felt some major improvements after they hit the 4 month mark. Exercising the patience muscle is sometimes the hardest part of this recovery.
:friends:

I hear your pain about missing trips. I have made and canceled 3 trips this year. This one is my fourth and I hope it holds. I certainly never expected the fractured femur and that hold up. On Monday I’ll hopefully get good news about this unexpected recovery time.

Four months is pretty early on in recovery still, @Cecropia, and as we all recognize "some days are better than others" so the discomfort and stiffness you report sounds pretty normal to me. I agree that exercising that "patience muscle" (which is quite flabby for so many of us) is where your attention needs to be focused--that and maintaining a sense of humor. Resorting to using a cane after a long and uncomfortable car ride doesn't sound like a huge step back, and the fact that you can sleep on your side or stomach (can't even imagine how the latter would be remotely possible--I'm still "practicing" side sleep, not terribly successfully) is real progress. Focus on what you have achieved and realize that the rest will follow, slowly but steadily. You are doing great--give yourself a break, and a big pat on the back. Happy Sunday!

@Barbaraj We are having one of those cold, rainy fall days today, 50s. Mon and Tues supposed to be 80, then after Wednesday the temps really drop again. Thanks for the pep talk....I just detest winter coming and we are not set up to retire in Florida or able really to spend more than a couple weeks down there. That was always our dream after retiring but things worked out different than planned. It is what it is.....♥️

4 months out that stiffness is completely normal particularly after driving. It will ease up. I was still taking paracetemol regularly at that stage of my recovery to help the stiffness. I think you are doing very well!

Yep, @Cecropia, I think there are a lot of us out there who are NOT looking forward to winter--count me among them! I guess I am lucky to live in a part of the country where we don't get a lot of snow annually, but the wet, cold and overcast days can be a real downer for so many months. I try to focus on what I do enjoy about the winter months, however: long sleeves so I am not self-conscious about my upper arms, wool sweaters, my gas fireplace, no need for yardwork until spring, no guilt about not getting out to take a walk (I am not a walker!) and hearty beef stew with homemade bread! Maybe you can come up with a list of positive things as well? Hope your weekend was pleasant and today is one of the "good" days in his recovery. Keep on trudging! And happy Monday!

Sorry to hear you're so stiff in the morning. If it eases with movement I wouldn't be too concerned.
I'm starting to realize I'm at the age where I may feel like the Tin Man upon rising but as I'm rummaging about for my oil can, actually my Java...I notice it's easing.

I agree that Winter in the Upper Mid-West is less than ideal, but you and hubs seem so active together with biking, hiking, fishing, picnicking. I'll bet you could squeeze in a few more hikes or bike rides and even a Fall picnic on a beautiful sunny Autumn day amongst the beautiful red, rust and golden display Mother Nature offers. I'm looking forward to a Pumpkin "something" one of these days. A Pumpkin Spice Coffee or a Pumpkin bar...yum! I also enjoy these cooler temps after the long hot Summer. With your eye on the prize of a couple weeks in Florida, hopefully healing progress and the joy and distraction of the holidays will revive your normally sunny disposition. Wishing you a week of peaceful contentment.
@Cecropia

Last edited:
@Barbaraj and @Layla Your posts are so nice to read. We have 2 weird 80s days, one today and one tomorrow with sunshine. I spent the morning vacuuming and mopping floors, then went outside and pulled my spent annuals out and cut back my perennials that are done blooming.
I've noticed all the bending causes my hip to feel like a toothache feeling, but goes away when I just stand up and rest a bit, so that's good, but I have stuff to get done.
The trouble with Michigan, you better get things done in the fall while you can, because the weather turns on you quick and I hate working in cold weather to get my fall chores done. We look forward to Indian summer, but you can't count on it, lol, so like the squirrel you better get it done, don't procrastinate too long.
I do a lot, but I do it through some pain, just not bad enough to make me give up. I'm stubborn and so I probably don't help the healing out as much as I could.
I just tough it out.
Tomorrow we are taking my 97 year old mom with us to visit my brother at his cottage before he closes it up for winter. It's a 2 hour drive south, we'll have a nice lunch, hot dogs, hamburgers on the grill with some side dishes.
It will be a fun day even with hip discomfort.
Like Julesglass says, "It's all good even when it's not"
♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88