THR Cocoon to moth

What a great update, @Cecropia I think it's wonderful that you're able to get back on your bike safely and ride, and if you've got nice bike trails around where you live, it sounds perfect to be able to access those. And smart idea to bring a collapsible can with you. Who cares what anyone might think if you hop off your bike and then use a cane? Have any of possible critics had hip replacement surgery? Most assuredly not, I'm guessing! To me, your recovery sounds like it's going well. Are you 100%? No, but you're progressing well and it will happen for you. In the meantime try to stay as active as you can, pop those Tylenol as necessary and give yourself a pat on the back. You are rocking this recovery! Hurray for you!

Good Afternoon @Cecropia :wave:
How interesting to have a stepson as your advisor. I'd be tempted to ask him all those questions we want answers to but are afraid to ask. Such as, the hip dislocation process. I know I have questions about that one. Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

You're doing really well. I'm sorry you're still dealing with some minor issues and hopefully time will work that out since you're only four months along. A riding trip out of town with a picnic lunch sounds like fun.

With your bike, collapsible cane, hiking poles and Tylenol, it sounds like you're well on your way. :yes!:
Wonderful update. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend!

@Cecropia Getting back on your bike sounds great - I am so pleased for you! So many trips out to plan now! :)
I have the same stiffness in the morning as you and I have to use the cane until I loosen up. It can also happen after sitting down for too long. I am getting used to this morning situation now, to the point where I can't imagine it going away! :sorry:
Surely ...... :unsure:
Like you with your cycling, I think it's so important to make the most of what we now have. I am hoping that we still have lots of healing to come though.

@linette333 I had to say something back as you also said you have the stiffness problem. Mine is painful at first. I also wonder if it will ever go away. I am trying to work around it and learn how to cope so I can get out and live again just in case it is my new normal. It's scary to think that, but 4 months sure seems like it should be resolving and it's not.

@Cecropia and @linette333 , we're all pretty close in recovery. My PT and OS keep reminding me that hips are a 6 to 12 month recovery, so we've still got a long way to go! Try not to despair over some stiffness, at least it goes away. :thumb:Sounds like you are returning to doing things you enjoy and that's fantastic! :happydance:

Step by step we are getting stronger. Hugs to you all.

@Cecropia that sounded like a pretty good update to me! You're still healing and will continue to do so for quite some time. You've really come such a long way though it may not feel that way to you. You are truly one of those folks that I've followed from the beginning and you've always helped me and everyone else through our tough times. I know you wish you were 100% already, don't we all, but I have faith that you're going to get there in time.
:friends:

Good Morning @Cecropia
As you're hearing from others, healing can take up to a full year, for many even longer. At four months post op you have plenty of room for improvement and I'm sure you'll notice these changes as the months click on by.
In the meantime keep enjoying life as you are.
Happy Saturday...have a wonderful weekend!

What a great update and your progress is fantastic. That you can do 3 miles and plan and ride your bike without any problems is just wonderful. As time progresses all those other things should iron themselves out. A year that is what everyone says. But just look at how far you have come already.

The storms have moved into MI, it's 4:30pm, but hubby and I got our biking, picnicking, excursion in and back home before the storm. It was sunny most of the day, 85°.
We went to Falling Waters bike trail about a 40 min drive south to the country. Paved trail going between lakes with
NO COTTAGES. So just beautiful scenery, woods, fresh air, goldenrod, and I think wild purple aster along parts of the trail. We biked 5-1/2 miles total. I took my old cane apart in 2 pieces in my backpack, stuck out some. Ordered my collapsible cane this morning, it has monarch and swallowtail butterflies and flowers decorating the shank and a pretty wooden handle. Well who knows how long I might need assistance with a cane off and on, so I bought a pretty one.
Today is a good day....but tomorrow is up in the air.:fingersx:
One day at a time.....:SUNsmile:

Wow, sounds like a wonderful day, @Cecropia and a bike ride with wild flowers and woods, very pleasant--and nice you got that in before the storm hit, whew. Glad to read you bought yourself a pretty cane, always nice to have something that makes you smile when you pull it out.

@Cecropia This is absolutely the best philosophy: take one day at a time! :yes!:
Rather than worry about whether I am far enough along in my recovery, where I will be up to in a few weeks time or when I can expect to be fully recovered, I need to make the most of what I can do already. For me this is probably easier said than done, but I plan to try! :)
Thanks for the reminder! :flwrysmile:

Incredible garden @Cecropia Your bicycle story is inspiring. Love to ride. Sounds like a great plan to carry a collapsible cane. I will follow your lead and read up on Tylenol use. I have more stiffness from sitting with my job. It’s all I can do to keep moving if I sit too long in front of the computer. I think if pain is limiting walking it’s a wise choice to medicate to keep active. Moving seems to help stiffness so much. You live in such a beautiful area. We have to transport bikes here as no really countryside within a distance of a bike ride. Hope you continue to see progress. I sure have. Month five was particularly encouraging. Especially with awakening nerves and better muscle tone. xxxx thank you so much for your encouragement. ❤️

What a wonderful discovery and update! Good on you, @Cecropia, I bet you felt on top of the world with your bike. I just told hubby this yesterday, that I need to pull my bike out and see what it needs to get on the road again. Then the picnicking sounded so very nice. yay!!
l have the collapsable cane, too. It came in handy a couple times when an excursion morphed into a marathon.
I'm so happy for you!

Today is a good day....but tomorrow is up in the air.:fingersx:
One day at a time.....:SUNsmile:

Hopefully Sunday was a good day also.

Your bike trip sounded fun. Woodsy fresh air, goldenrod and wild purple aster and a picnic to top it off. Hard to beat! With any luck you're not feeling any worse for wear after the 5 1/2 mile ride yesterday.
Maybe Sunday was simply a relaxing chill kind of day. Wishing you a wonderful Monday!

@Layla. Thanks. The biking did not affect me in a bad way.
Sunday we went north to a State park, very large area with hiking trails. We hiked about 4 miles by a lake and crossed a bridge to a large island, then hiked the island, then back to our truck. Used my hiking poles. We walked slow, took in the woodsy sights. Again no cottages or houses. If the wind is not too bad today, we will probably go fishing...:heehee: I relax in the evening, usually from 9-11 watching TV. Then when I get up all stiff I can go to bed and rest. The rest of the time I try not to sit too long, only for lunch and dinner. I am looking forward to some day being able to sit for longer times, and walking natural when I get up like the old days. :prayer:

Great news! You're doing very well @Cecropia
You're surely making progress with all the hiking and biking. And it's seems you're good at balancing activity with rest. If you're referencing stiffness upon rising, I notice it in the morning getting out of bed, some days I think - sheesh why am I so stiff?! - but as soon as I start moving it quickly dissipates and I forget....until the next day. I think a lot of it can be attributed to an aging body, more than hip recovery. At only four months out, you know there's lots of room for improvement. Hang tight...you'll get there. :yes:
A great Monday to you!

Oh, I so agree, @Cecropia, that nothing makes me stiffer and more sore than sitting too long, which is problematic for me as I am someone who loves to plop into a chair and read for hours, which isn't happening yet. Lots of reading, yes, but broken up as much as I can since when I overdo the sitting I really find my thighs and hips are screaming. You are doing great at recognizing that, and while I am not a bike rider or hiker, you do make it sound very pleasant with lots of fresh air and lovely scenery. Have a great Monday!

That stiffen when first standing, and when not doing alot is definitely an issue...makes you feel like you need to sleep with an oil can next to your bed for the first six months.:giggle:
I hope the pain when walking has eased for you @Cecropia :unsure:

Thanks for worrying about little old me (as seen on another thread) but I thought I broke my foot it was so painful...fortunately it didn't break..or twist...
It was diagnosed as a severe bone contusion or bruise. Hard to get well...apparently it is a "Time" Thing:groan:
My new hips didnt like the crutches or the limp.
Hopefully all will get better sooner than later.

What lovely days you have had out in nature @Cecropia ! I love my walks in the woods with hubby and pooch. The Japanese have elevated the experience and call it 'forest bathing'. Love it. You're doing well. Keep walking, riding and fishing! :realing: :walking::biking::yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom