THR Cocoon to moth

So do most of you in recovery wear the compression stockings? The girl measured them but they are way too long. Can't cut them or they will unravel. I wore them a week then took 2 days off because all the excess I have to fold ovor at the top, very uncomfortable. Today my husband helped me put them on again and I left all the extra at the bottom of my foot hanging off the foot. So as not to slip I placed the extra onto the top of my foot and put the slippers from the hospital with grips on my feet, which I hadn't been using. This is the most comfortable way so far. Anybody ditch them after 1 week? One of the nurses on here did, but she was walking a lot. I'm walking but I also sit and relax more than I walk.

Are you taking any medication to thin your blood? Many of us ditches our TEDs but in most cases members are also taking blood thinners.

On the other hand it sounds like your socks don't really fit at all.

Compression stockings were never mentioned to me. But except for a few of months prior to my surgery, I was pretty active and was still in decent shape.

My OS is the no PT, just walk, and minimal restrictions type. His rule is get up and walk for 5 minutes every waking hour. And then as I get stronger, walk longer multiple times during the day.

I also take two aspirin a day for blood thinning for the first 28 days.

I took xarelto for 5 days and now I'm taking 325mg of aspirin daily for a month per OSs direction. I don't know if he ordered the compression stockings or its just hospital policy to use them for a month. @Jaycey
And I was very active up till 2 months before surgery. Things went south real fast. I was actually walking 3 miles every day,, roller skating, and using my elliptical without pain. Walking my 3 miles, is when I started noticing something was off, as I developed a limp. Other stuff too like weight lifting. Anyway people who personally know me are in shock to find out I needed a hip. Me too, I'm in shock still. lol. @ceezee

@Cecropia I had the same quick onset as you. I was shocked to find out that both, much less one hip, were in very bad shape and I needed replacements on both. We basically tossed a coin to see which one to do first.

As you said, I’m still in shock. Lol.

It was probably the hospital who ordered the socks. I can't tell you to go against your surgeons instructions but if I was in your position I would ditch the socks. You are taking aspirin and moving around regularly. It sounds like the socks don't fit anyway - probably not doing the job they are supposed to do.

Glad to see you are doing so well @Cecropia I didn’t wear TEDs with second surgery. Not required by my OS. I did take blood thinner. First go around found them to be incredibly annoying and painful. Probably can ditch them. Sending healing vibes your way. :flwrysmile:

Hi @Cecropia
Just popping in to say hi and give you a 1 month perspective, well 5 weeks plus.
I still get groin pain, thigh pain and knee pain, but it's short lived , moves all around and is seemingly unconnected to activity except after 3 weeks of outpatient PT I quit and am doing my gentle exercises at home and walking 1/2 to 1 mile per day slowly with a cane.
One day my PT bent me all around so much I almost cried from the pain. I could directly attribute my pain to that event.
Otherwise it's pretty random . And I have one undone hip to compare it to as I need my left one done yet.
So on my left I have toothache grinding bone on bone pain.
My new hip it's more like spasms and pulled muscle pain-- which I am optimistic will keep getting better.
At your stage it just plain hurt-- and I took what pain meds needed to relieve it within the prescribed doses and rested and iced.
I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole of comparing. It can become frustrating and discouraging. We are all so different.
As long as theres not something seriously gone wrong with your surgery, just chalk
it up to postop pain as your body adjusts
And heals, and take the meds prescribed.
BTW I've taken Celebrex every day since my surgery ,prescribed by my OS and know many others taking NSAIDs too.
They are my mainstay at this stage.
Hope your pain subsides soon. Stay positive:) :-) (:

Well today is day 11 I think. lol. I took my shower this morning without my husband handing me things, actually he did not know I was in the shower, I just felt I could do fine by myself. I feel so worthless, lol, heard that enough. Gathered up all the towels in bathrooms and had my granddaughter put them in the wash. Then I did some dishes while husband went to store. I put a chair by the sink so if I got lightheaded I could sit quickly and had my Walker in front of me. Now icing.
I just have no appetite, hate eating when not hungry, but doing it anyway. And when the butt quits being SO SENSITIVE to sitting on it, will be nice. Tried laying on my good side. Just felt the muscles pulling too much, not pain, but not comfortable, so wait longer and try again. Happy weekend to my hippie friends. ❤

Good for you @Cecropia! You're doing well for 11 days. The first shower without bystanders is a good thing, a little scary at first for me though. I'm with you on the eating. It seemed crazy to eat when I wasn't hungry but I knew I had to for my body to get back to normal plus for energy! I think it took me about 2 weeks of "force feeding" until it got better. Glad you are resting and using your ice. It sounds like your granddaughter is a good little helper too! :SUNsmile:

Oh, forgot, per request, I asked my husband to shave my legs with his electric razor, I could not stand it any longer.:heehee:
Yesterday I duck taped my regular razor to the wooden clothes helper stick that came in a “hip replacement kit” and very carefully shaved my legs from the knee down. :rotfl:

I’m now all set for the yoga pants I’ve been living in.

Hello :hi:
Resourceful one you are @ceezee
I've read of disposable razors being taped to paint stir sticks, rulers etc.
Funny how inventive we can be while incapacitated.
Hope you have a great Saturday with your freshly shaven legs!

You too @Cecropia I hope you're doing well and feeling progress :wink:
Happy healing!

These first weeks are certainly an adjustment period, but you sound to be in good shape for the shape you're in:)
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

Hello and Happy Tuesday! :hi:
I'm assuming all is well as I see you spreading cheer and good wishes on the forum.
How about you? Tell us something good....
@Cecropia

@Layla Something good? Well I'll be discharged from PT this Friday and will not be going to out patient PT. Nurse came Sunday, wound looks good. I asked her if she sees many long posterior incisions like mine. She said many.....
Nurse comes Thursday to discharge me. I like walking around, I don't feel so stiff, but can't walk too much, get tired. Sitting down is a pain in the butt!:heehee: Oh I won't complain here, it's part of recovery.
BUT I HATE IT!:heehee: Nurse and PT, say "You are doing "SO WELL!"
I'm like....:nah::bored:

@Cecropia you are doing so well! But i understand the hating it and the frustration. I keep telling myself how much more I can do than a week ago
Like the showering alone...got everything set up in my shower next to my shower chair so I can now shower without hubby on stand by...although nervous to do so if he’s not in earshot if I do need him. Great idea using an electric razor as I keep looking at the fuzz on my knees and wondering how long it will get by the time i can reach it!! I had worried if I asked hubby to do it with a normal razor I may end up sliced to bits.
I was told to use the stockings if I felt I needed to & they do help at night but In the day I leave them off as I prefer bare foot as we have tiled floor. I also sleep with a pillow under my lower thigh and calves which helps reduce my lower leg pain

@Yogigirl Probably should not let your husband use a regular razor on you, but maybe....:yikes::heehee:I was nervous having my husband use his electric razor....:scaredycat:I love barefoot too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back