THR Cocoon to moth

Its 2am. My hip surgery side knee is really ramping up tonight. It's a bad bad toothache from knee to ankle. No I'm not doing exercises. I was showed how to do them on Monday, but I'm not doing them. I know it's a common problem after surgery, but wow does it hurt. Just took a 5mg Norco and 1000mg tylenol. And I moved out to my recliner in the living room. It seems okay in the daytime which is weird and I'm wondering if the compression stocking helps it during the day. It only ramps up at night when I lay down. If I get up and walk it feels better. If not for this knee problem I would be off the Norco and only on Tylenol. Well sitting in the recliner is not making a difference yet, with my feet up.... It definitely got worked over during surgery as never have I had bad knees.
I guess I'll call my OS office tomorrow. My hip is doing pretty good with some pain where the stitches are, but don't hurt when resting. This knee won't stop. Throb, throb, throb.:bawl:

So sorry to hear about your pain @Cecropia You said on my thread that the surgeon told you how much he had moved your leg about during surgery, so your pain now is very likely to be as a result of that. I know that I am certainly suffering today following my surgeon's yanking my leg around yesterday!!
I hope you eventually managed to get some sleep.

Its 5am. Just took 500mg tylenol for the knee area. Icing my stitches where it is still very tender. Slept for 2 hours in my recliner. Knee/shin area still feels like a bad toothache. I think the Norco is what makes me sleep. Too bad it causes constipation. My trusty calculator says it's okay to take 500mg tylenol and 5mg Norco every 4 hours. Still just barely under 4000mg in 24 hours of tylenol, so that's good. I just hate having to go back to so much Norco, but if it helps the leg/knee/shin pain I don't see an alternative as I'm not using any NSAIDs because I read something about the bone not growing into the femur as well if you take NSAIDs while healing?

Hi @Cecropia :wave:
I avoided NSAIDS for this same reason and there are other issues with it, including tummy and heart.
I am so sorry that knee is hurting so much.:sad:
Hope you have ice on it also.:yes:

My recovery thread was quite a mess, right?:blush:
These first weeks are tough stuff and my pain meds got me through it...though certainly showed up with my typing skills. I also had constipation issues :blackcloud:and had to address it with diligent regimen of stool softeners (and laxative) and eating mindfully. I think I bemoaned and bewildered in a post about how in the world chicken noodle soup and grapes could produce a rock!:sigh:
Do drink lots of water...which creates more trips to the restroom which usually happens when we have found our most comfortable spot in the recliner.:gaah:
Upside as it gets up and circulation going. A vicious circle, I know.

Time is the greatest healer and these are early days. All temporary, my friend, so keep the faith.
Sending good mojo your way.:roseshwr:

Last edited:
@Cecropia So sorry to hear about your 2 a.m. pain! At this stage of your recovery it's not uncommon unfortunately. There are several of us up wandering in the night going back forth between bed and recliner just trying to find any kind of relief. Even though we think to put ice on our hip, it is best to also put it where the actual pain is like the knee or leg area. Knee pain (and sometimes swelling) tends to occur after getting the hip fixed. It may require more than one ice pack but it really does help. I hope you have a much more comfortable day! :SUNsmile:

Hello :wave:
Yep, SE Florida is right, lots of night wandering going on with new hippies. I liken it to Goldilocks and the 3 bears, this chair/bed is too soft, the next is too hard, then you finally settle on a spot that's just right.

Your hubby sounds like a keeper. He got my vote at vacuumed, dusted, mopped and won the prize at home made potato salad. I could never coach my hubs through that. A battle would ensue. :heehee:

Your PT sounds accommodating which is nice. All aren't as lucky. I'm sorry about your knee. I struggled with issues afterward also and quite frankly, it's never been the same since surgery. Nothing scary or painful, just stiffer when I initially bend it than it ever was pre-op. I'm still holding out hope it returns to normal but as time marches on and I continue aging, it may stay as it is, which I can live with since it's not painful.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. You're doing so well!
@Cecropia

Thanks and I'm upset because I've done nothing wrong like exercising my leg, and my walking I've stayed within the 5min rule every hour, not overdoing it. And then the one hotspot along my stitches fires up when I sit down or get up, that started after the nurse took the bandage off. I would be thankful for the Norco at the 5mg dose I've gotten down to if I wasn't so afraid of addiction and I've read those rules too, but I'm a what if person, and I sure like how the combo tylenol and Norco work to knock out the knee pain and let me sleep. I guess try to take it and quit worrying on how I will stop it. Well now that I'm moved out near the kitchen using my recliner I am able to ice off and on all night w/o waking my husband and take care of myself more. I'm icing right now again. Looks like I'll have to suck it up and take a low dose of narcotics longer than I planned on...thanks for the encouragement, all of ya's. I have to get back to my pitty party, but you will here from me again soon.:groan:

Feel your pain, literally! First week for me was somewhat unremarkable, in fact thought I would sail through, then came day 8 and thigh pain starts. Still getting hit with the pain on day 13. Like you, hip feels fine. I’m hoping it’s just the trauma of the rotation, bending, sawing, pounding, and lack of pre-op activity. PT seems to think that’s it and gave me very easy isometric type exercises and I must say that after I’ve done them it hurts a bit less the rest of the day. You might try the ones that are low impact and not painful to do. Even though it hurts, I’m trying to stick with the Tylenol during the day. If it gets really bad, and the Tylenol is just not doing it, I quarter one of my 10mg Oxys and it’s just enough to take the edge off. Hang in there, As everyone tells us new hippies, there are/willl be good and bad days in the beginning. I have found myself starting to get a bit depressed the past few days, but keep telling myself that it’s still very early. If you find yourself headed that direction, just keep reminding yourself that while the procedure has become common, it’s still a very major surgery with lots of trauma to tissues. Sending you healing vibes and the hope for pain free days ahead!

I have seen lots of people here return to biking; some in a very big way. Your biking sounds like my style and I am 100% confident I will be getting my bike tuned up next summer.
In the short time you will be using narcotics I think there is very little chance of addiction. It seems to me that many of us are at 4 - 8 weeks when we start forgetting doses. I know I suddenly realized I hadn't taken my hydromorphone for a whole day and then another day. I am back to taking a bit now because of knee pain and something in my hip and very top of thigh seems to be grumbling quite a bit. Remember that crazy tangled recovery picture of Mojo's. It has been my impression that you are doing very well in your recovery. Not so many years ago people would probably still be in hospital at one week out.

Please try to keep ahead of your pain, don't get so wrapped up in worrying about addiction to a med that you'll take for a very short time in the grand scheme of things. And a very low dose at that. I know for someone that is not used to taking meds and is a worrier that's hard to do.
I really think the knee pain is definitely linked to the surgery and the manipulation, eventually it should die down and agree that you need to ice and elevate as much as possible. Unfortunately I'm having knee pain and they haven't bounced me around yet. :snork:
You've been doing really well and expect that you will continue to do so. Everyone has a pity party once in a while and I think that sometimes it's therapeutic as long as it's not constant. Which you aren't doing. Take it easy, slow and steady, don't worry so much about summer and what you can and can't do at this point, worry about getting yourself healed. Hugs. :console2:

@Carriemay60 I think I'm trying to reduce norco too quick, but seemed fine till it didn't. The knee/shin area aching bugs me worse, I sure dont like that feeling. It's a toothache throbbing pain. See how well you were doing and still are and then those darn setbacks, and I'm just starting through this and wondering what all is ahead for my setbacks. Yeah, I just took another hydrocodone(Norco), it seems to block the pain. This is not a cakewalk for sure. ❤

Far too early to be reducing your meds! When you start forgetting doses that is the signal that you can begin to reduce. For now - as Elf advised stay ahead the pain. You need your meds to increase your mobility.

@Elf1 You are staying positive, very good with a sense of humor too. I sure hope your recovery is easy. When you all get over here to this side I'll be watching to see what drugs you'll get to take for pain.:ice:

On a happier note, my 3 cats. Thunder, Lightning and Stormy. We rescued them during a storm. Momma was starving and trying to nurse her boy babies 4 years ago. Well they long ago took over this love seat. Not spoiled, ya think?????:heehee:
rps20190605_135741.jpg

The OS and I talked a little about meds after surgery, told him I hate percoset, had it for my back and something else, didn't work on pain only made be groggy and nauseous. He said he'd give me Norco which I'm fine with. Have some Tramadol for other issues that I'm treated for but don't get many, may talk to the Neuro about that when I see him before surgery. Have been using that and Tylenol to try to make it through but I'm lucky if it takes the edge off.

Trying to keep my sense of humor, one of those things that help get you through tough times! And over the years there have been times its either laugh or cry and I try not to cry that much.

Love the fur babies, so pretty! We have four, one male that is 10 years old, black and white tuxedo. We had two of his brothers originally but have lost both of them, one to heart defect at 5 months and one at 9 years to cancer. The other three are girls, one kind of brown/grey tiger, she's about a 1 1/2 and the other two are sisters at about a year, one solid black and one black and white tuxedo. We went to adopt two (figured playmates as they age) after we lost our last baby to cancer and to keep our Ibby going as he was showing terrible signs of loneliness. Anyway, saw all three and told my husband so he came and checked them out and like me (we're suckers) said we can't leave one here by herself. Needless to say, all three came home with us that day. Our boy looks at us like what did you do?! :rotfl:
:catbutterfly:

@Elf1 I love your story!!! We had 2 cats before that lived long lives. When the second one died we said no more animals and we went 2 years without any. That was nice, but then now 3. lol.

Norco does not make me nauseous per say, but I sometimes feel lightheaded. Anyway nobody likes to be on this stuff, but sometimes its necessary.

My PT just called to come in the morning, I said I need time to see what's going on with my knee. So she will come Monday.:meow:I had a hard time getting back in here, kept saying site cannot be reached. Now finally working again.:what:

My groin area that is so tender when lifting my operatrd leg, I just noticed the underwear line area along the top crease has started to turn yellow bruising. I'm like what??? This it quite an adventure....

@Elf1 You are staying positive, very good with a sense of humor too. I sure hope your recovery is easy. When you all get over here to this side I'll be watching to see what drugs you'll get to take for pain.:ice:
Hey hey hey there. Its not a competition! We are all different and to be valued for our differences. Look past this week.. I am sure it will not always be pain..

By the time I get to your side you will be on your bike laughing....:bicycle1:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member