THR Cocoon to moth

I also had the full 325mg of aspirin for a month post left hip.

So glad to see you are doing well:flwrysmile:and congratulations on your new hip!!! I don't think I would want to see my surgery either , but I did watch a utube video of the procedure before I had mine done lol I thought it was very interesting:wink: , and I can relate to what you were saying about not wanting to always wake up your husband to do things for you but it's a good thing to have them help so you don't overdo it :wave:. Wishing you a great recovery

Its 3am time for my tylenol. Trying something different where I take the 5mg hydrocodone alone every six hours, then half way between 500mg tylenol. It worked pretty good yesterday for pain control, so trying it tonight. And man do I stiffen up at night so I also thought I'd try some walking back and forth in our hallway, which is about 10' long to see if that might help loosen things up. I'm wondering if my stitches come out today? Nurse coming today or tomorrow. Well back to bed. Still dreaming weird stuff. Ugggg.

@Cecropia I am one month + out and morning stiffness is still a part of my every day. My PT says that's normal with all the muscle healing that goes on for a while. Even a little slow walking helps it some. I am off all strong pain meds at this time and I really wouldn't call it pain, more stiffness. Just chiming in to let you know that from what I'm told its normal.

@ahipgma Thanks. I dont know if the stiffness would be more sore if I stopped the hydrocodone every 6 hours and upped the tylenol more, I've reduced the hydrocodone dose as much as I dare and the next step would be every 7 hours, that's how I figured I would do it, space it out, but I'm not sure I want to do that yet. Most of the soreness is still the stitches and bum, which I don't think has changed much at all. lol. Just one week out, I'm way impatient...

Had a 2ee yesterday finally

Now that's funny! First time I've heard it described that way.

Good luck with the nurses visit today. Tell us all about it later....we're always "all ears" here.
Wishing you a wonderful week two of recovery! :)
@Cecropia

Good luck with the nurse today, hoping you get your stitches out today! That alone would make you feel more comfortable. I think the stiffness is just something you'll have to work through for the time being, seems I had the same issue after my back surgery. It does eventually let up and all of a sudden you're like, hmm, something is different here! :kitty:

Well today was PT, tomorrow nurse, so stitches still in. I am excited to say Tracy my PT was awesome! No straight leg raise, no heel slides, no bridges. And she has a friend who had hip surgery and did the straight leg raise recommended by her PT and pulled a groin muscle or strain, anyway she was miserable for several weeks healing it. So Tracy never has her patients do those. Thinks bridges raise the knees too high and does not like them anyway. She herself needs a new hip in a few years. Shes waiting it out longer. We hit it off really good and the things she had me do were very conservative and did not hurt or freak me out. I told her all about bonesmart and showed her the site. She was impressed. She said anything you don't want to do we won't do it. :ok:The sun is out today.
My husband vacuumed, dusted and is washing the floors as I type. Last night I talked him through making home made potato salad his first time, and he grilled hotdogs. I usually don't eat hotdogs, but I'm temporarily eating red meat to get my iron. I don't believe this guy, he really is my hero through this. Sorry, but I just got to brag about him. First time dusting and mopping. He's had a shoulder replacement, hand surgery, and is on watch and wait diagnosis for non hodgkin's lymphoma. He has no symptoms yet other than swelling on his neck. 45 years married, believe me we've had our trials, and tribulations, but now in our old age we are so glad we stayed together and worked things out. :friends:He's also a diabetic, and for 15 years I have managed to fix meals that are diabetic friendly and kept him off insulin shots just pills. I had to say something good about myself, :heehee: so people that read this won't think I'm a bad wife.

What a wonderful post about your husband. It is amazing with all the tribulations of life that if we just hang in there as a team, it is so worth it in the end. So sweet he is such an asset to your recovery! It sounds like your PT is a big hit too. Lucky girl!!! :yes:

Sounds like you two were kind of made for each other and understand that sometimes you have to work at things a little. I'm lucky to have a hubby that's like that as well, he's being really great now before I even have the surgery and can't wait to do stuff for me after. Especially since I'm still being stubborn and pushing through the pain to do stuff myself. :rotfl:

Glad you're doing so well and that your PT is a good fit. That makes things so much easier.

Had to laugh, on the subject of hubbies being helpful, was talking to my girlfriend Saturday about her daughter's upcoming wedding and had our phones on speaker so the guys could hear. She was telling me about her knee surgery a couple of months back and that her hubby was such a good helper. Of course he had to pipe and go see, I'm really good at helping and being a team player, aren't you proud of me?! Was funny as we're normally shooing the two of them off somewhere! :thumb:

@SE Florida Hanging in there can be hard sometimes but pay off in the end if the problems can be worked out....

@Elf1 You can dance at the wedding, just dont move your feet. You know swing your arms around to the reception music and let loose a little stress...:happyfeet:

@Cecropia Your PT sounds great! I have no idea what I will be offered (if anything) in the way of PT - here in the UK it varies so much.
Your husband is a real treasure! I am hoping that mine will also step up - I am sure he will. But I am going to have to learn to bite my tongue and to turn a blind eye when things are not done to my standards! :snork:

@linette333 I know about that, do it to my standards thing. I did go past a couple things on my way to the bathroom after he dusted and straightened them back the right way:heehee:....but I thought about having a cleaner come in, which I have never done before, and he knew I was nervous about that, so he says, "I've watched you clean all these years, I know how you want things done and you're not ready for a house cleaner no matter how good they are." And when you are really tired and everything seems to ache all over you kind of let down your hair a lot.....and go with it....:giggle: He actually did really good....:SUNsmile:

@Mojo33 I went back and read your bilateral hip history, a few pages till you were doing quite well. I noticed you tell people, go read my hip history, so I finally went and read some of it. Loved the way your auto correct kept changing your words:heehee:....glad you are doing so well now....all of the moderators are so nice here.

@Cecropia our husbands are being amazing.... there’s a little bit of me that hopes some of this continues post recovery
Have you thought of taking iron supplements...I’m using Spatone as I couldn’t bring myself to eat meat. That worked fine after my spinal and it doesn’t block you up like tablets.
You’re doing so well

Nurse just left. Turns out I had dissolvable stitches, duh, and under the bandage was steri strips which will fall off by themselves, to clip any edges that come loose. Wound closed nicely. That sucker was 12" long, I kid you not, it curved around. Wow! She said surgeon did a nice job closing it and the scar will practically disappear within a year. Hummmm, all sounds good so far. She also said no more roller skating, cross country skiing, and questioned me riding my bike next summer, to speak with OS about that. So I'm happy but sad also because hip replacement does forever change your life, for me anyway because of certain things, mostly my bike. I have great balance don't ride fast, use mostly level paved bike paths. I could fall on ice or going up and down the stairs. Its fate sometimes. And riding my bike allows me to go further distances. Time will tell. Can shower anytime, had been doing sponge baths. Okay, will smile and be happy and quit complaining. Yah no......:heehee:

@Cecropia, it sounds like a good nurse visit for you. Glad your incision is healing nicely. You mentioned riding your bike "next" summer. This coming summer probably wouldn't be a good idea to ride but definitely by late fall or next summer you should be more than ready. Your new hip doesn't have to change your lifestyle, it should actually improve it. I couldn't ride my bike anymore before surgery, it was just excruciating to pedal. In a couple of months, I'm going to give it a shot again and I already know that it's going to be great to get back on. Once you're further along in recovery you'll see that you can still do a lot of what you've done before. Probably even more with a new and pain free hip. Please don't get discouraged this early on; you're doing great and it just keeps getting better every day! Hang tight! :friends:

@SE Florida
Thank you for the nice post. AND awesome that you ride a bike. I could not pedal anymore before surgery either. I have a book telling where the bike paths are in Florida but we only were on some short ones. We usually stay in Silver Springs on vacation just outside of Ocala. We camp. We have a lot of nice paved bike paths in MI near our home. Happy biking.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back