THR Cocoon to moth

@Cecropia Before my surgery, I was literally crippled with pain and off my feet because of it 95% of the time. The absolute worse areas were the groin, bone crunching pain in the hip and always felt like I was sitting on a hard rock. I could still feel the groin pain pretty bad after surgery but eventually it has settled down now. It only bothers me now if I have done more than I should. I babied myself a bit to take the strain off and give it a chance to heal and iced it. I found getting my leg in & out of bed really pulled so I used my housecoat belt for much longer than most to prevent overtaxing the groin. I'm sure your's will settle down also given time - I saw others just ahead of me that were reassuring to me as they had had the same.

Good Morning,
Your pain will ease with time, you're only 4 days post op and there was a lot of work done in the area.
I can get more graphic, but I'll spare you :heehee: you're lucky I like you, lol. Just trying to get a giggle out of you.

Ice any / all areas that hurt. Ice for 40-60 mins, no less, each time you ice, per Josephine's recommendations.
You're doing well just days out of surgery. I hope today is a good one! :)
@Cecropia

@Cecropia, your muscles and tendons were probably taxed from dealing with your wonky hip. It will take some time for them to recover. I found that an old fashioned hot water bottle did wonders for my complaining groin. After my spacer surgery, I often had ice on the hip and heat on the groin simultaneously — felt wonderful.

@Layla I'm on ice now. It helped during the night too, but I hate waking my husband up. We have a ranch house, but our bedroom seems miles away from the kitchen right now.:chinstroke:I have bags hanging on my Walker to carry stuff, so I managed. Its hard icing at night. Thanks for any tips....:ice:

@HipsterKat
Hi, well it's nice to know others groin pain took some time to heal up. I tried another way to get back into bed this morning, so I was not putting so much stress on that groin. It helped. That's why straight leg raises and leg slides are out for me. Next week should be interesting arguing with my PT person.:hissy:

@Cecropia, also remember to engage your abdominal muscles whenever you lift or move your leg. It helps protect your back and groin (and also makes for nice abs over time, a bonus).

And yes, set limits with your PT! It’s your body and YOU know it best.

@Carriemay60 That is so true about getting into bed. I was using the hook on my cane to pull the leg onto the bed and when the therapist came Thursday, she watched how I did it and said I should start trying to lift the leg without help to strengthen the groin. That idea lasted a few times, today I'm back helping the leg into the bed.:yes:
Hubby and I just put my compression stockings back on. :bored:Glad you are coming along, I have followed your progress, and you are moving at your own comfortable pace and its paying off...that's most important. :thumb:

Its hard icing at night. Thanks for any tips..

You could have a small cooler bedside, or on the bathroom vanity, if it's closer than the kitchen and you make a trip there overnight. That way you could have a fresh ice pack to fall back asleep with.
Hahaha! Only in recovery does falling asleep with an ice pack sound appealing. :ice:
@Cecropia

Now you get into the mysteries and the twinges of this thing which are many.
So much of these odd pains are the muscles healing and complaining a little bit but are scary and I think we all had the fear of God put into us about dislocation!
In my early days I got really scary horrible muscle cramping that would pass. I asked my doc if I would know if I did anything dire and he said absolutely
The pain will be unrelenting.
Otherwise, though the talk is that this is amazing--- all -your -pain -is- gone surgery, its rough at first for sure

But already my operated leg is better than my other that still needs to be done---
You saw your hip! That stuff that caused pain is cut out and GONE.
This pain is healing pain and I've had to remind myself of that many times as this is a 2 steps forward and one step back process. Stay positive, obey your precautions and you'll be OK.
Oh yeah after a while and my hub doing it for me my new hip lifts my leg in to bed like a champ!

Very sweet of the hospital staff! I hope you've had a good day.
Wishing you sweet dreams tonight and a lovely Sunday!
@Cecropia

So the aching knee down to my ankle for 2 nights? So this morning my husband scrutinized the knee area as I can't bend that far, he said it was bruising up and there were deep red marks and he thinks it might be where they put a clamp to hold my leg down. That could explain the throbbing. If we had videos of the surgery on our legs, we would probably freak out...:shocked:Time for icing...

Your property sounds lovely @Cecropia It sounds like you are doing so well already! Hoping the tranquility of your set up speeds healing and improves sleep. I hated waking my husband too, but ended up utilizing him for one late night ice change a night. Really helped once the swelling went down my leg to knee and ankle. You’re so brave to look at pictures. I don’t have stomach for the details. Give me a vista and wildflowers.

Now 10 days PO. Log leg still persists. I was using a yoga strap initially to get my leg on/off the bed and PT said same to me....stop using to build strength. I am able to get in/out of bed without it now by wiggling foot side to side (walking my foot to bed edge) but it still hurts in my thigh and above knee, and still feels like a log.

Most new hippies complain of knee pain more than hip pain. They grab your knee pretty aggressively during the procedure. Ice and elevate. Only temporary.

I had surgery same day as you and it sounds like your PT people are asking for a slightly more aggressive regime. I was give a “leg lifter” by hospital OT and my PT people didn’t object to me using it to lift my leg int bed. They also haven’t expected me to do straight leg lifts. I went home after only 1 night in hospital like you and have very little pain. But my soft tissues definitely are traumatized. I can see why this forum cautions to be conservative with PT. Sounds like you are being smartly cautious.

I took my last xarelto blood thinner today and now I switch to 325mg aspirin a day for a month.... Nurse thought that was a lot, PT thought that was a lot, so called office, he says 325mg a day, so anybody else take that much? I always thought 81mg was the dose. I'm not going to argue with my OS, if that's what he wants. Not taking the iron pill tho and counting my intake each day. I've been eating all kinds of things with added iron or natural iron. Had a 2ee yesterday finally with the help of Colace. The pain seems better when walking with walker this afternoon, not sure if better is the right word, as it's not a big difference yet. :nah:Soon it will be bedtime :bored:. I don't look too excited....:heehee:

I was told full strength 325 mg a day for a full month. Hang in there, you'll see an improvement each day!

@Cecropia hope you get a good night's sleep as we all seem to be lacking that before and after. And no way do I want to see a video of my surgery! Had the OS laughing at me when I said there was no way I was going to watch any YouTube videos before or after! Nope, no way!
:yikes:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom