THR Cocoon to moth

Part 1. Home today at noon. Day of surgery: Had my spinal, was anesthetized quickly afterwards so I don't know what it felt like to have my legs asleep. Woke up in recovery legs already fully thawed out. Had a localized bloc just where incision is, it's already wore off. Couldn't really tell it was there. Have drainage tube, being drawn into a very small box the box has a clip on your pants. Was not dizzy or nauseous and still not. Had lunch was hungry. Had ice bag all the time. First oral Norco 2 ten mg tablets. Then every 4 hours one 10mg Norco with added 325mg Tylenol. Pain 0-1 resting. Walking to bathroom 4. I urinated every 2 hours, could not wait longer. So I literally pee'd the afternoon and night away. Norco kicks my butt, so nurse suggested trying farther apart in hours or try cutting in half with increase of Tylenol staying under 4000mg of tylenol..which is also in Norco. If I need the other half take it. It just really makes me sleepy. I take my klonopin 0.25mg at 9am and 0.25mg at 4am for anxiety induced tachycardia.

Part 2. So you all know I wanted to cancel, was scared because my tests were so inconclusive. Well when my OS opened me up, lots of watery fluid came out apparently trying to protect my hip joint in the back. It looked like a chunk was bitten out in the back with jagged edges. And some necrosis. He was surprised as none of this showed up on xrays. He wishes they would invent a 3d MRI or if there is one he has not access to it. So one way or another it would have been very bad if I had chickened out. Surgery went well. Passed my PT tests so was released. Did some PT easy therapy and no matter what they want me to do, I will not do it if bad. I think I hear Josephine....:yes:. And :loveshwr:I did not have a tachycardia event before or after. Now that's good news, I was really worried about that. I have an old fashioned portable toilet riser next to my recliner in the living room because I still can't make it far to the bathroom. If I sleep in my bedroom I have a second bathroom close enough. I have a picture of the round bone took out, but my phone says too large of a file size. Anyway trust me it was bone on bone in back and gruesome to see. Well I won't post so much here out. And after I rest I need to track done my other hippie friends that went in Tuesday. Need to catch up and visit others going soon. So far it's been a good experience and I'm glad I did it for now anyway. Thank you all for your support, it has been a real lifeline for me. :SUNsmile:

Welcome home, it's the best place to recuperate. The first few days can be a little rough for some of us so remember to keep the ice handy while you're reclining. For now just rest and take meds as prescribed....we're all here pulling for you! :angel:

So good to see your lengthy posts and to hear all about it. You must feel good about the fact that you made the right call
Aren't those anesthesia people efficient?
I loved the ice-- keep it up! Be patient with yourself. today was my one month anniversary and I just came back from a half mile slow walk-- you'll get there too!
The first 2 weeks were rough for me but it gets better every day.

wonderful updates and you are doing very well!! Our hips have secrets.. deep dark secrets that they keep until they are uncovered by surgery. You made the best decision and now you are on your way to feeling better with each passing day!! I would jump up and down with happiness but I doubt my hip would let me.. haha
I hope you figure out how to shrink your photo,, I love seeing those things. Happy Healing!! :ice:

:hi: Yep, got that bad old hip gone.
They might not have known how bad it was...but you surely knew it...even if you sometimes tried to convince yourself otherwise.:)

Getting through the first week is a bit of a learning curve...but just roll with it as you have been and all will keep getting better and better.
Healing hugs.:roseshwr:

Wonderful to read you are home @Cecropia The fear of the unknown always seems worse. I’m so glad you braved moving forward and now have your new hip! Sending healing, restful vibes your way. We are hear for any hand holding you need. Peaceful sleep! :flwrysmile:

Hi @Cecropia
Remembering being where you are and hauling myself up with my walker and
Hobbling around, scrutinizing my dressing with a mirror-(that OS calls 8 inches a mini incision!?) and trying to regulate my pain meds and sleep on my back-- all the while thinking it's over, I did it, I'm HOME. Be so good to yourself and take it one hour at a time.
Let us know how it's going when you can!

Let me add that the first few times I got up I had this bizarre feeling that my new hip wouldn't hold, dislocation was right around the corner and my incision would split open--( didn't know what I was put together with till my 2 week visit-- turned out it was glue and it held beautifully),
I'm a month out and I went to PT today.
My new hip is mending well, holding up wonderfully, and my hip yet to be done is hurting like a toothache.
Yep the new hip is post OP sore but its mending and getting a little better every day.
Wait till the first time when you get feeling better and braver and try a move with your new hip that used to hurt and it doesnt hurt anymore!!! I cried with happiness that day about 2 weeks out.
Take care!

First complete day at home. I guess day 2 from surgery. Well so far I am using my bed. I nest here because I have sliders out to the back yard and bed always positioned so I can see my bird baths and hummers right outside the glass and my gardens and pond when window shades are open. Very relaxing. PT came at noon, mostly talking and I refused to do the straight leg lift. Was coming 3 times a week, I said 2. Okay...Nurse will come Monday. I will do some PT. I am holding my own at 5mg Norco with a 500mg Tylenol every 5 hours. Getting in and out of bed is the pain about a 5. Resting is 0-1. I walk every hour around a bit. Not using the restroom as much. These sock things during the day are killing me, so tight. I take xarelto for 4 more days, (blood thinner) then switch to 325mg aspirin for one month. Supposed to take iron pills 2 times a day for 1 month, but I have a good diet. I can eat spinach, and red meat, and I used to love fried liver and onions back when my dad used to cook it. Have not had it in years. Everyone says iron tablets upset the stomach, so he said I could do food instead, but have to really stay with it, so I think I will forgo the tablets and keep track of my food intake. About to go sit in the living room for awhile. Will be glad for night to get these leggings off for awhile. Made the homemade ice bags and loving them. I guess I'm doing okay. Will see what tomorrow brings. So far no swelling.

:flwrysmile:Good to hear you sounding well.
Healing hugs!

So glad to hear you're home and doing so well! I knew you could do it! Just continue to take it slow and easy and you'll be fine. So, so happy for you!
:loveshwr:

Oh you are home yippee! So they kept you a couple of days and it seems you are already progressing . So you are sleeping in the chair? My PT wants me to rent a bed. So following the minimalist approach to PT . I am going to do that too as my own PT prescribes that not the one they will be sending me.So you have to wear the compression socks--don't know if I will but I know I am to be giving myself injections so maybe not. I like liver and onions and my mother had bacon with it. Grand no swelling.

@mikeycat I stayed one night in hospital. I used my bed last night. Was not too bad, but it's the Norco (hydrocodone) makes you sleepy and works on pain. When I'm off that I'll be back to insomnia and hate back sleeping....again:censored:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back