TKR Cococay in pre-op

Hi @Cococay

l’ve been following your thread for some time and was so sorry to hear about the postponement of your op and also the loss of your friend. It must be awful to mentally prepare then it gets cancelled at the last minute-the build up is so scary isn’t it? I’m trying to psyche myself up ready for my surgery, I’ve been on this site for a while but only just signed up. You are so supportive of many others here, so I thought I’d say “hi and good luck”

Anyway, I’m pleased to hear you are re-scheduled, I am having TRKR on 18th Jan and I’m petrified! Hopefully we can rehab and recover together!

Hi @Cococay

l’ve been following your thread for some time and was so sorry to hear about the postponement of your op and also the loss of your friend. It must be awful to mentally prepare then it gets cancelled at the last minute-the build up is so scary isn’t it? I’m trying to psyche myself up ready for my surgery, I’ve been on this site for a while but only just signed up. You are so supportive of many others here, so I thought I’d say “hi and good luck”

Anyway, I’m pleased to hear you are re-scheduled, I am having TRKR on 18th Jan and I’m petrified! Hopefully we can rehab and recover together!

Thank you so much- I always figured that nobody really bothered much with following my thread-you made my day,
Your surgery is the day before mine so we will be going through this together-

I always figured that nobody really bothered much with following my thread
You should know that BoneSmart staff monitor the site nearly 24/7. We all follow your thread!

@Cococay
I'm here too following along. Much like everyone else I appreciate the experiences that everyone is or has gone through. Following along with each persons struggles or achievement's tells me that I am not going through this alone. I have learned that we all have anxiety, frustration, sadness and most of all pain that consumes our day but coming on here and reading other peoples stories somehow makes it easier for me to cope. My surgical date is still a long way off but I will continue visiting this site and follow along.
Good luck on the 19th and know that we are all thinking of you.

@Cococay if you look to the right of your thread title you will see that while you have 124 replies, you have 3000 views! Lots of people are watching your thread even if they don't reply.

I also have been following your thread while I am not in your shoes I have been thru my share of fears stress pain etc and even with my history and knowing what to expect was still getting worked up. One thing is for certain up until you have the surgery the what ifs will drive you nuts after the surgery now its when will the pain ease up!! While your in the hospital pain will be controlled monitored adjustments will be made etc. Once your home its different granted you will be given discharge instructions but your pain will increase due to moving around more being more active. Here I am at # 20 and yes the knee hurts and yes I am awake at 2am because of it but it will get better if you dont have patience yet after this you will.

I know I started this process very stubborn about demanding that my recovery will be speedy- and wanting to work by week 2.
well I’ve come to my senses and know how unrealistic it sounds. Now however- I’m worried that my job has unrealistic expectations- because when my boss who is an owner asked me for a tentative timeline starting with needing to self quarantine all the way through recovery- Im pretty sure that the expectation is that I’m only out a few weeks- including the time I work from home. This job is a job I absolutely love- and despite the work politics that I hate- I’m afraid even if they like me that this could cost me my job if it takes to long.
i honestly have no idea what timeline to give as a tentative- because what I want and the reality are likely different-so I don’t know what to say that won’t give false expectations but I need to also try to let them know I’m gonna try to not drag it out any longer then absolutely needed. It’s hard because there’s no good answer. I love my job. And I absolutely need this surgery to get my life back.
anyone?

I would suggest you contact the HR department where you work. There may be job protections for extended leave depending upon a lot of factors. I went back to work early at a desk job, but quickly realized I couldn't possibly work 5 days a week. Luckily my employer allowed me to work from home Tuesday's and Thursday's, but it was still tough. If I there had been another good option at the time (that didn't mean delaying retirement!) I would have taken it. An early return will not be comfortable.

We don’t have an official HR department- I actually do some functions of HR along with my position.
But- I agree with you that if I attempt to do it to early I will make the situation worse - I think I just needed to process- vent about it-
Because there’s no great answer- it just is what it is. I am glad though that I found this site because it was through watching everyone’s experience that made me realize that I wasn’t being realistic at first.
I have my preop this morning.... I can’t believe how fast the time has felt since I was scheduled after being postponed- less then 2 weeks to go. Emotional roller coaster

@Cococay Emotional roller coaster for sure :good-bad: Could you get a letter from your surgeon (ask his nurse or assistant) spelling out the recommendations for after surgery time line re returning to work full time, part time and working from home (if possible)? I would hazard a guess that surgeon's office has had many similar requests. Some thing to give your boss that would help boss know how to deal with things while you are out? From what you've written it sounds to me like your boss wants to be supportive but truly does not know what the realities of post knee replacement are.

Really wish you the best and hope where you work understands its going to take time. Its one thing to read how others have suggested this is not a quick recovery time ( GOD I WISH!! ) or you need not to over do it etc. In some ways I am lucky on disability but knowing what I know now on recovery it would seem depending on where you work if they accepted a time table of sorts from surgeon great but what happens if it takes longer or any unforeseen complications pop up?? I still believe if you can get 6 to 8 weeks after surgery and then work from home part time for at least another month or ?? you will be better off. Even then you will still have some good days and you will have days that completely stink. Wish I could be more encouraging all I can truthfully say its been 1 week so far and its no fun!!

While I can't advise you on the HR aspect, I can tell you that 12 weeks is a good timeline to start with. Depending on your recovery, and your job type, you may be able to do a little work from home sooner, or you may not. Or you may feel able to go part time a little sooner. But, if you tell your boss ahead of time that you will likely need 12 weeks, they'll be happy if you are able to come back sooner, and not shocked if not. In any case, here's a good article to read.

It's getting close now!

I don't know how big the company is that you work for but can you file for FMLA?

I think I could. I guess the issue is more like- I worry that if I’m gone to long they will decide they are fine without me and use it as a reason to save money.
it’s a lose lose situation. Legally they have to be accommodating and I believe they want to be- and actually are happy for me and willing to let me work from home a bit- I just am afraid to tell them that recovery isn’t gonna be 2 weeks.
I was a bit delusional when I first decided I needed to do the replacement- and I just told myself- I’m going to take off the day of and day after and then I’m gonna work from home for a week and then return. I was adamant. But I started to listen to the advice and read others direct experiences of the process and I had to admit I was not being even a little realistic —so I have Prayed about it a lot and I’m trying to just go with the flow-and listen to my body because I’m not living right now and if I don’t take this step and do it right it will keep getting worse till I’m a hermit. I read my thread from when I started the process and wow has my attitude changed.
I do though get anxiety about my job because I love it so much and writing it out helps me process it and then hearing you all give input knowing you all know what I’m going through-really helps. .Bonesmart has been somewhat of a lifeline for me and I’ve gotten to know some of you through the threads and feel invested in your progress.
I had my preop today. Since my other one isn’t within the 30 days. It went good I think. My lab results released automatically on the MyChart app but I’m waiting for my doctor to review it. My urinalysis had “moderate bacteria “ it said. But the rest of the levels in the urinalysis seemed ok. So I’m not sure if to have a UTI it can be that alone or if it needs to have more then positive for bacteria. So I hope I will hear back from my doctor my guess is that it’s being cultured-for a day or 2 to see-and if it is a UTI maybe it wouldn’t even matter but I want to find out so I can treat it if it actually is- so I don’t risk a delay.

I was a bit delusional when I first decided I needed to do the replacement- and I just told myself- I’m going to take off the day of and day after and then I’m gonna work from home for a week and then return. I was adamant. But I started to listen to the advice and read others direct experiences of the process and I had to admit I was not being even a little realistic
Explain this to your boss, just as you said it here. It sounds like they care about you so hopefully they will see your point. :console2:

My labs ended up good. No UTI. Oh- I guess I’m officially pre-diabetic based on a A1C lab. But I don’t think it’s something i should be overly concerned with- since it’s “pre”.
I am wondering- from limping at first to then my whole gait changing in order to protect my knee —- some of it I may not even realize I’m doing- and I have sciatica on the other side—so basically even on the days my knee feels at it’s strongest and less pain- the residual effects are that I have all sorts other related things that I think is muscular or maybe nerve related-my point being- after my surgery- how do I deal with all that without it impacting my knee recovery? It has to be pretty common -but as it gets closer I start second guessing myself thinking- should I have waited to do surgery and focused instead on the other stuff that was caused by my knee so that it doesn’t ruin it?
anyone have any wisdom or experiences to share about this?

should I have waited to do surgery and focused instead on the other stuff that was caused by my knee so that it doesn’t ruin it?
anyone have any wisdom or experiences to share about this?
I think you are starting to overthink this, :console2:but I know it’s natural to do that. I don’t think you can fix other things that your knee has caused, without fixing the knee first.

It‘s all going to fall into place as you heal. And we’ll be here for you, every step of the way.

Thank you jockette. Over thinking is my middle name- or it should be.:heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom