TKR Cococay in pre-op

Cococay

Country
United States United States
Hi. New to site!! 47 year old - I have bone on bone tricompartmental OA bilateral knees. My left however is the big issue. In the last year I went from limping to barely being able to walk. I pretty much work or am home. Going to the ortho surgeon to officially schedule total knee replacement-I researched parking and how far I would need to walk - it’s humiliating and I could use advice. I use a knee brace- but I truly can’t go more than 10 feet unless there are things to grab on to. It’s ruined my life as dramatic as it sounds. So- I’m petrified of having surgery but am now scheduled for 12/15/20!! Still processing it. But I’m told it will change my life!!

Hello @Cococay - and :welome:

Here are some articles to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

But I’m told it will change my life!!
Did mine, many times better now than before. Pain free, able to walk pretty much as I like. Go for it. If both need doing, consider bilateral (both at once). Worked for me, one surgery, one recovery.

I’ve been looking through old threads about this- I live alone. My Parents want me to stay with them after surgery- they’ve both had TKR so they feel I will need help. I’m really grateful but honestly I really want to just go home to my little townhouse after. Anyone live alone that went home after surgery have any tips?

You should be able to manage of you go home alone. You will be able to get out of bed and back in again, walk to and from the bathroom, and manage stairs before you're discharged from hospital.

You will need to set up someone to drive you to appointments and PT, if you're going to go there.

Stock up on all your non-perishable groceries, cook and freeze main meals in advance, and make arrangements for ordering and having delivery of perishable foodstuffs.

Make sure you have someone you can call if you have an emergency, and always keep your phone right beside you.

Other people have managed going home to recovery alone.
You may pick up a few tips from this thread: Home Alone After Surgery

Thank you. I’m so grateful I found this site. So many questions come to my head and it really helps to have this site and all the experiences of so many.

You should be able to manage on your own, but I will say I was grateful to have someone with me for the first 2 days to fetch and carry. :)

Hi and welcome. It will change your life or for me it was bringing me back to my life before the pain and inability to walk without pain took so much away. For me, it also brought back more of my natural personality once that daily pain with movement was gone. So worth it to be able to do things without pain again.

You might want to get a cane and use it now if you have not to help with the pain and even a walker if that would make you feel safer moving around. I used a cane for months as I waited for my surgery date. Actually with all my joint issues I have a collection of canes that are now not in use.

I’ve been very resistant to use walking aids of any kind. But the truth is - trying to get around without it by taking two steps and having to grab on to things-is lots more obvious.
I’ve been researching this joint replacement so much and I’ve gotten myself so afraid- mostly of blood clots. But- I just keep reminding myself that they will take precautions - and Pray. But it still scares me.
can I ask your opinion-the pain of bone on bone- grinding together and having every minuts I stand or walk be painful- do you think the pain of post op is worse than that?

The pain is different than the pain of arthritis. For one thing the post op pain is going to get better. The first few weeks can be the hardest.

As for blood clots the OS will prescribe one of several different meds to help ward them off. The medications range from baby aspirins to injections of a medication. Once you are up and around (many times the same day as surgery) the threat is diminished. You’ll be walking to the bathroom, grabbing something to eat or drink or doing some simple exercises while icing your knee.

For me, the pain pre op was worse because I knew it would not get better. Post op there was pain, swelling and discomfort but I knew it would pass. Between pain medication and elevation and icing it was more tolerable than the pain pre op. Also pre op pain did not seem to diminish with any medication to any great degree but post op meds worked.

As long as you move around some and take whatever medication your surgeon prescribes to prevent blood clots you should be fine. Blood clots can be scary but fairly rare and treatable.

I remember well grabbing walls or whatever I could lean on and that was more obvious than a cane. The cane is also safer. My worst idea was when I went away to a seminar which of course involved more walking than any other previous seminars I attended. I ended up with a very pretty purple cane with flowers once I found a drugstore. All temporary and the need passes once we have surgery and recover.

Thank you guys! It just helps so much to be able to ask the questions and process things- with people who have done it and are on here to get and give support.
I still can’t really believe how fast it progressed. I mean 2 years ago I limped occasionally but otherwise was a normal early 40’s just living life. Then one day I couldn’t stand on my leg without excruciating pain and then within months I’m housebound and getting my annual review at work for my job that I love and put my whole heart in and am told that my mobility is an issue-although I don’t do any physical labor at all- I’m supposed to go to a couple facilities regularly-to make sure things are going as they should- and I’ve not really been doing it in person- but now- i literally go to work and home. Weekends- I’m not being dramatic- I watch tv I read I sleep- because I can’t do anything- and I still think - how did this happen-like out of nowhere my life changed- and I feel like it must be my fault-does anyone else feel like if they only were more active or ate better -etc that it wouldn’t have deteriorated so much?
sorry I guess I’m rambling a bit.

No matter how well you eat or how active you are does not mean that you wouldn’t wind up with you’re knee deteriorated. I was participating in various sports and teams into my fifties. If your knee was injured earlier in your life it sets you up for arthritis. It gets to a point when the only thing to do is to have it replaced.

I was told I had to wait until I was in my sixties to get my knees done. I wasted a good number of years not being able to participate in anything physical.

I saw an ortho dr 2 years ago and a year ago and at that time they weren’t willing to consider replacement- they wanted me to at least wait till my 50’s-but now I guess it’s just that bad that he said it’s a bigger risk not to have it.
thank you for your words that it’s not my fault. Are you able to be athletic like you mentioned that you used to be?

Should my doctor have told me what type of joint they will use- as far as type of material and if minimally invasive or gender specific knee replacement-all I know is it’s true-compartmental. Or are these things they don’t figure out till they are doing surgery? I want to ask so I can read about it but I don’t want to bug them with dumb questions—I am afraid of being the annoying patient- especially when it’s someone that holds your life in their hands- I want them to like me. It sounds funny but I’m serious..... am I just totally over thinking ?

You have every right and reason to ask, Cococay. It's on my list of questions to ask at my pre-surgery appointment (2 weeks before the surgery). That is, it's on the list unless I call and ask tomorrow, which I might do - I'm jittery about this and doing research, oddly enough, helps calm me.

@Spacedust -you get to have an appointment 2weeks prior to surgery-with your surgeon?

It's actually with his PA, but Larissa is awesome about getting answers for me (I worked with the same surgeon and team for an ankle repair 4 years ago). She's been with him a long time, so she quite possibly already has the answer, even.

Actually that might not be a bad idea. My ortho surg has a PA too. I have not met her yet but she works with all his surgeries. Maybe I should try to schedule-just so I can get that final reassurance before surgery......?

am I just totally over thinking ?
First recommendation - stop reading Dr Google.

Second recommendation - make a list of questions and take it with you. Write down the answers during your discussion so that you can refer to the information later. Not a bad idea to meet with the PA if you can get an appointment.

You will meet with your surgeon and the anaesthetist prior your surgery. Ask all the questions you need to ask!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back