CoC vs CoP

Sabine

Country
Canada Canada
When I spoke to my surgeon yesterday he told me that he is considering using ceramic on polyethylene on my upcoming replacement. My first hip done eight years ago a ceramic on ceramic and I was expecting the same for this.
I’m 52, overweight but very active. From everything I’ve read ceramic on ceramic is still the hardest wearing, longest lasting combination and my gut tells me to push for that.
Any other considerations I should take into account?

I would not push for any particular implant. Your surgeon will use what they are most experienced using taking into consideration your own lifestyle and medical situation. Even in the eight years since your first THR, implants have evolved. Please don't worry - either option is long wearing.

Hi @Sabine, you can ask your surgeon why they want to go CoP.

My surgeon also used to do some ceramic on ceramic devices, but ... from talking to him and from looking at a number of studies out there, it seems that the survivorship rates for CoP are really impressing surgeons ... So now he favors CoP (which is what I got). They've got over ten years of using cross-linked polyethylene and the wear rates have proven minimal. I had two top surgeons (from different practices in different cities) who said almost the same words: the wear rates of CoP aren't zero ... but they're close to zero ... going past ten years now.

Yes, from what I can cell the CoC wear rates are lower still but ... there's more that goes into successful hip replacement than wear rates ... The studies I saw never found better survivorship rates for CoC ... There are apparently complications with CoC if you don't place the device just right. In fact, almost every study I looked at (not saying I'm a researcher--just an obsessive who used researching to deal with his anxiety) CoP had higher survivorship rates at 5 years, 10 years, etc.

Anyway, you're not talking low (CoC) vs. high (CoP) wear rates. You're talking extremely low vs. extremely low. Surgeons have been burnt by theoretical advantages many times ... so when something like CoP actually proves incredibly reliable in the real world ... with extremely high survivorship rates, surgeons tend to feel comfortable with that.

In fact, my surgeon just gave a presentation at a national joint replacement conference in which he reported that the vast majority of surgeons connected to research centers and teaching hospitals ... now use ceramic on cross-linked polyethylene.

Just my two cents: if I were go to CoC (which I didn't), I would have selected a surgeon who specializes in CoC, like a surgeon who uses CoC for 90 percent of their operations.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I just got a little jumpy when things were not what I thought they would be. I have done a bit more research and I guess my OCD will be OK with not having the same on both sides :)

Yes, you should go with that thought. Poly is every bit as long wearing as ceramic and has longer stats to prove it too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom