THR Coach’s Recovery Thread

Coacher

Country
United States United States
I just recently found the Bonesmart site. Wow do I wish I’d known of it when I first came home from the hospital. It would have been so helpful. I am right at 5 weeks out from RTHR. For the last 3 nights, when I get home from work, I’ve been almost addicted to reading all of the threads.

So many of the questions that I had I have now found answers to. Much of it was confirmation that I was on the healing path and what I was experiencing was normal. I debated creating a profile or account, as I feel like I’m out of the woods so to speak on the immediate surgery recovery. But, the more I thought about it, the more I felt like if my story can be helpful to someone else, then I should share it. And, I honestly felt such a connection to all of you, I feel like the community can do me some good as well.

Glad you joined! It’s always good to hear how others are coping with recovery and life with a new hip. I find that not many people in my world understand so the people here have been a lifesaver for me. :)

@Coacher Welcome to BoneSmart :welome: What is the date of your RTHR? Let us know and we will create a signature for you. This also helps us reply to your questions more specifically. If you still have questions or concerns we'd love to help. Other wise please do share your story!

Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us here and especially for your kind words in regard to the site and community. Your input here will be a great encouragement to those following behind, so please feel free to share your ongoing recovery with us. I hope you have a nice weekend!

Even though you’re five weeks post op, I’ll leave our Recovery Guidelines as you may still find some of the info beneficial -

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Here is a link to the Bone Smart Library also in case you haven’t checked it out yet. :)

@Coacher .... how wonderful that you decided to share your hip replacement story with us. I firmly believe that everyone's journey documented here helps someone, so thank you for paying it forward to help those that follow you in surgery.

We exist specifically to help people recognize that their experiences in recovery are most likely very normal and the challenges are temporary.....and also to help them know when something isn't normal as well as options for action they can take. We are truly honored to have supported tens of thousands of people just like you who may be worried about their new joint or maybe even scared to get surgery in the first place.

You're still fairly new to recovery, but as you'll soon come to learn, joint replacement surgery can truly allow people to get back to the life they love. I hope to hear more about your recovery journey in the coming weeks and months.

Managing expectations and morale (making sure expectations are reasonable) are key parts of recovery.

So glad you found BS.

I had total hip replacement, right side, on April 27.

3 month anniversary today. I am back to work, finished with physical therapy, but continuing to do my own daily exercises and try to walk 2-3 miles per day, time permitting.
One thing I’ve noticed is that the drastic changes in condition, improvements from week to week, even day to day, have become more subtle and less drastic. I almost feel like I’ve hit a plateau. I still experience soreness from time to time and I get stiff when I sit for an extended period of time or ride in a car for a while. I keep seeing that it’s really like a yearlong recovery so I just keep going day by day and stay positive.
I do get the question often, am I glad I had the surgery? I’m closer to saying yes, because the pain I had is gone, but the two things that hold me back from completely saying yes one, I’m not as active as I was at one time, or would like to be, and two, I have a fear of that bursitis pain returning. In fact I sometimes wonder if my soreness is that? If that were the case, I’d be disappointed because the overall surgery was such a big, overwhelming process that I’d wonder if I should have just fought through the pain I was dealing with longer. Again, maybe it will need to be closer to that year before I can fully know what the result of the surgery is, rather than at 3 months.

:wave: @Coacher
Sounds like you have a bit of the "this hip recovery business is getting old" blahs :bored:
This is almost assuredly experienced by all new hippys...I know I was wondering if my ongoing issues were going to be collateral damage but it is, as you say, still early days in terms of a year long recovery.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the drastic changes in condition, improvements from week to week, even day to day, have become more subtle and less drastic. I almost feel like I’ve hit a plateau
This is certainly the way my recovery went.:unsure:

I still experience soreness from time to time and I get stiff when I sit for an extended period of time or ride in a car for a while
Same for me for much of the first year...it DOES get better

two things that hold me back from completely saying yes one, I’m not as active as I was at one time, or would like to be, and two, I have a fear of that bursitis pain returning
Of course you aren't as active NOW and taking things easy is likely to stave off the bursitis :fingersx: You may want to walk a bit less, honestly or break the walks up some.
Your patience muscle is the hardest to stay toned up and post op blues can sneak up on us too.
Time truly is the greatest healer...and I found that I was able to strengthen and tone incrementally without having to suffer the consequences of too much too soon.

Keep the faith...all temporary.
:yes:
And your bad hip would not have only worsened and if you had waited...might have been more complicated to fix.

I had BTHR four years ago and I am back to an active life.
:tada:

Last edited:
Hope you are still icing especially in the evening:ice::ice::ice:
Tightness is a common occurrence for quite some time after all the carpentry required to get your new hip in there.
I iced regularly for the first 4-5 months and then intermittently as needed for many more.
Great anti-inflammatory and pain reliever...still.

For what it's worth I still get stiffness and soreness, I don't think it will go away but I'm good with it. I lost that deep bone ache from the joints which was the main goal. I never went in thinking I was going to be perfect with man made parts installed. I really didn't understand until post-op just how much the muscles were strained to perform the operation. No different than previous injuries I've had that linger for ever.

Last edited:
I still experience soreness from time to time and I get stiff when I sit for an extended period of time or ride in a car for a while.

Ugh…the car thing. It took me months! I found it miserable to sit for longer than 30-40 minutes and wanted OUT, NOW. As far as stiffness, I am 16 yrs older than you and this is a common occurrence for me. It does seem to happen more as we age. It normally takes only a few steps to work out the kinks though and I’m imagining that is the same for you.

You‘re correct in reminding yourself that it’s a year long recovery and even longer for some. Improvements begin to feel few and far between, but you do realize changes along the way, realizing that discomfort while engaging in a certain way is no longer happening, or numbness in the area of the incision is gone, or I can do this, or that, which I struggled with a couple months ago. Be patient, it will come and believe it or not, the day even comes when your hip replacement is not in the forefront of your mind and you actually forget about it for long stretches of time.
Enjoy the day and weekend!

I was wondering why it is that I’m still finding that when I get up from sitting or laying down, the first few steps are painful, causing me to limp, but once I get going it goes away. Originally I chalked it up to stiffness but I’m not sure that’s what it really is? Does this go away?

Also, I ran for the first time this weekend, not far, about 30 yards. Just doing that short of a run made my leg, not my hip, very sore. It felt sore in the bone, like where the new hip went into the bone I’m guessing?

Anyone else do any running? I’m not looking to start distance running, but just wonder when I’ll be able to do short distance s?

Hey Coacher I read your post and you mentioned wondering how much better you'll feel at a year post op vs 3 months. I'm a little over a year myself and I can tell you it's a huge difference. I recall having the exact same experience you mentioned with first few steps being stiff and painful, this will fade over months until it's gone. As far as running I don't think you should be doing that this point in your recovery. I'd just concentrate on walking, if you're doing too much you could actually cause a lot of set backs in your recovery, it really is a year long process to recover from this surgery.

Throughout this whole 4 months, I’ve come home a lot of times sore, or hip very tired, but every time by next day I’m fine. Not this time though. Friday I did that little bit of running and then on Labor Day we did a 3.5 mile hike and had to go down and then back up some steep trails. First time I’ve done any walking like that not on a street or the track. It’s Thursday and I’m still really sore, in fact limping some again.
I believe for the first time I really over-did it.

I was wondering why it is that I’m still finding that when I get up from sitting or laying down, the first few steps are painful, causing me to limp, but once I get going it goes away. Originally I chalked it up to stiffness but I’m not sure that’s what it really is? Does this go away?

Also, I ran for the first time this weekend, not far, about 30 yards. Just doing that short of a run made my leg, not my hip, very sore. It felt sore in the bone, like where the new hip went into the bone I’m guessing?

Anyone else do any running? I’m not looking to start distance running, but just wonder when I’ll be able to do short distance s?
Just adding what I have been told by my OS which is running and jumping are to be avoided. He meant permanently to be avoided. I know different surgeon say different things. It does sound like it was very painful for you.

Coacher it is of course up to you if you would like to be very active after your hip replacement. My surgeon told me the story of Bo Jackson and how he's had to have his hip replaced 3 times, first because of his initial injury and then because he decided to continue playing sports. You look about my age so I can understand you wanting to run and experience life. I've run one time since my hip replacement and it was only for about 15 feet to catch my dog who got off leash and try to take off on me. I was amazed that I just ran and didn't feel a thing or think twice about it before it happened. I haven't done it since because I'd really like to avoid having to have another hip replacement later om down the road.

Pretty amazing how even after months post THR you can hurt the muscles that badly. I thought recovery was over at 3 mos, big mistake, took 3 weeks to get back to where I was. Uneven terrain is very rough on a recent THR. I have run for reasons but not for fun, don't see pounding on those parts as being good for them.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom