TKR CME's recovery thread<

CME

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi there. I’m five weeks post left TKR. I also felt that from around the third week when I thought I had conquered the leg swelling it suddenly began to reoccur. It’s most definitely linked to activity but so disappointing. My ROM only at 90 and last week couldn’t do Physio as pain too bad. I have no bandage on scar now and doctor says it’s healing well.

Has anyone experienced a big discomfort - like anything rubbing against the scar or knee is sore. Do people put a bandage on at night time. This might seem a silly question but it’s really uncomfortable

There are times at night when the sheets bother my scar, I have found in vitamin D and massaging it in before I go to bed makes a big difference.

I don’t know about wearing anything at night I’m sure Jockette will tell you if that’s a good thing to do. I just know that I found the vitamin E oil helps because sometimes the skin is dry and the sheets bother the dry skin

@CME I've moved your post into a thread of your own. So this will now be your recovery thread. Make sure you bookmark it so you can always find it.

I think what you are experiencing is all pretty normal for 5 weeks out but let's get you the information you need so you can read up what to do.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I've calculated your surgery date as somewhere like April 23rd. Is that correct?

Do people put a bandage on at night time.
Not as a rule. Better you maybe kept your leg out of bed instead.

I'd also like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Hi. You are almost right and thank you for replying. My surgery was the 19th April and I had LKR and bone grafts completed. My knee issues are the result of Avascular Necrosis. It was due to seriously high prednisone infusions 2 years ago fort a rare form of adult asthma that took some time to be diagnosed. This was just diagnosed in February

Has anyone experienced a big discomfort - like anything rubbing against the scar or knee is sore. Do people put a bandage on at night time. This might seem a silly question but it’s really uncomfortable
I don't see why you shouldn't put a crepe bandage around you rinee overnight, if it helps you rinee to feel more comfortable. Remove it during the daytime, though.

As your knee continues to heal, you may need to desensitize it, by rubbing it gently with a soft piece of cloth, and gradually increasing the roughness of the material.

As I elevate and Ice overnight, I found using a 'buff' neck scarf around the knee before putting the cryo cuff on not only provided a bit of protection from cold it also helped with the hypersensitivity. I have large knees and Thighs and so this was just the right size without putting any pressure on the knee, and was soft and thin.

@CME
As you read through the threads you will find there are a lot of people on here who have had sensitivity with their knee, me being one of them.
Physio 'touch' the knee often during my sessions so that I get used to it and also told me to rub it with los of different things to reduce the sensitivity, flannel, kitchen roll, sponge etc.
As for the night sensitivity with the sheets touching it try using cling film. Just wrap a piece around the whole knee scar area. You will be surprised at how much it helps. Somewhere on this site there is a video of someone showing you what to do.
The only thing I would say about it is that not all cling films are the same. I have one roll that just doesn't want to cling to itself and therefore doesn't stay put but a different make works well and doesn't budge all night.

I'm going to try the cling wrap. I use a crepe bandage at night but tear it off half way through. Cling might just be the thing. Thanks.

Thanks so much. I will try the cling film tonight as just couldn’t get any sleep last night. I’m also trying to massage it a bit myself but struggle with it really.

Think the Costco one is nice and clingy. Will update outcome tomorrow

Some kind person here sent me a roll of gladwrap - not available in the UK. I still have some and think it is great. I found I could cut off a square and just stick it to my knee and it stayed there all night!

Thanks again. I tried cling film last night and it really helped. It took away the pain of sheets touching etc. just used supermarket cling film available in Ireland and it worked a treat. Still cannot sleep. Awake until 4am. Feel exhausted all the time.

I’m sorry you still can’t sleep but happy the cling film helped!

Sleep when and where you can. Being exhausted is no fun at all and not much help to your healing. I would sleep an hour or so in the bed, then get up and sleep an hour or so in my recliner. It's so aggravating. But, get that sleep the best way you can.

Still cannot sleep. Awake until 4am. Feel exhausted all the time.
Tis said that the issues from TKR are actually worse at 6 weeks out than before.

Give that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Still cannot sleep. Awake until 4am. Feel exhausted all the time.
The exhaustion is still part of the Energy drain for TKRs . Most of your body's energy is still being directed towards healing your knee and there isn't much left for anything else.

Problems with sleeping are very common - Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it? .
Until you start to sleep better, make up for lost sleep by taking daytime naps. Sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can. It can take quite a long time for your sleep pattern to return to normal. I think it took me about 4 months.

Hi there! Just checking in to see how you're doing and if you see a light at the end of the tunnel yet?

Hi. I’m 8 weeks now and can walk a fair distance on one crutch. Pain can still be an issue. My sleep has improved with using cling film and also not taking codeine after early evening. My knee replacement was very tough as had significant bone graft completed too. I managed to get on flight last week to Portugal and the heat and holiday feel certainly helping recovery. Still doesn’t mean I don’t have those low energy moments and wonder when I will be 100% again

@CME How do you use the cling wrap and does it help significantly?

Good to hear from you and that there is progress. I agree that the low energy moments are frustrating but hopefully they'll get less as the weeks go by! I sleep well now on my side so that is a bonus after so many weeks of no sleep in any position.
@Benay - I also used clingfilm, just wrapped it around the knee to stop the bedding from irritating the incision. It works really well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TATTVASPA800000
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom