Hand CMC Arthroplasty - Done!

swmrgirl

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi All,
I had My basal thumb joint surgery today. I had a nerve block in my neck and under my arm, so everything is comfortably numb (Pink Floyd reference). I smacked myself in the forehead with my plaster cast earlier which was a good reminder to slow down.
Hope everyone is doing well,
Julie

Glad your surgery is behind you, and you are on your way to recovery.

Hi All,
I had My basal thumb joint surgery today. I had a nerve block in my neck and under my arm, so everything is comfortably numb (Pink Floyd reference). I smacked myself in the forehead with my plaster cast earlier which was a good reminder to slow down.
Hope everyone is doing well,
Julie
Best of luck with your recovery! I did the same thing with my bandages. Whatever you for, resist the urge to use that hand and let the incision fully heal!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the other side @swmrgirl ! How long will you have your cast on? Hope your meds are keeping your pain under control!

I'm feeling pretty good today. The anesthesiologist had planned to do the nerve block and sedation for the surgery, but apparently I was awake, so he switched to general. It takes me a bit longer to recover form general anesthesia and I have a headache and nausea today, but it's starting to ease up.

The plaster cast stays on for 2 weeks, and then I'll get a rigid fiberglass cast for 4 more weeks. I won't start hand therapy for six to eight weeks. This is only day two, but it honestly feels very minor compared to TKR recovery. I've been given 10 mg oxycodone every 4-6 hours, but 5 mg does the trick. Also taking Tylenol every 6-8 hours and I'm feeling comfortable.

@Pumpkln my left knee is not great. I am starting to experience more pain and instability now. I'm planing to have revision surgery in the fall after my hand is completely healed. Thanks for checking in on that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks