PKR Clunky Knee

If you are not satisfied with what your surgeon says at this next appointment you might want to consider a second opinion. I had my first second opinion at 15 months post op (not that he offered me any help.)

I will say I had a lot of improvement in my second year, but all in all, 5 years later, I am not happy with my partial. No one has found anything to fix, but my partial is definitely not a success.

Happy 1 year Knee-aversary! :yay: Hoping you continue to improve with each passing month.

Hi all you good people on Bonesmart.
I had my 1 year appointment with my surgeon last week. Had a x-ray everything looks good and in the correct place. I did explain i was still having issues with continued pain and discomfort but i am improving slowly. The surgeon listened and inspected my knee The surgeon said normally at this point i would be discharged but because i am still having issues they would review again in another 6 months. If during that time i take a turn for the worst then i should get back InTouch for further investigation.
All in all i am fairly pleased with this. I am getting better month on month but it was reassuring that they have just not let me go.
The surgeon just said that these things can take time and hopefully i have turned a corner. Hopefully they are correct. I do keep a diary of how many steps i do at work and it has improved i am up tp around 5000 some days and i still come home and do physio. Ice is still my best friend. Its been a good 2 weeks since i had a really bad day encouraging signs.
Thanks again to the great people on this forum without you i think i would have gone stir crazy.

i am up tp around 5000 some days and i still come home and do physio.
Why would you still do exercises when you walk this much at work. That is doing physio all day long. No wonder your knee is sore. It took many of us over a year to heal completely from this surgery. It sounds like your doctor knows this and is being reasonable.

It's good to read that you've had good days for the last couple of weeks! If you cut out those exercises I bet you would have even more good days!

I agree with sistersinhim. The walking you do at work is plenty of exercise/movement for you knee joint. The added physio might be pushing you over the edge into the overdoing category, which could be slowing your recovery.

What kind of physio are you doing at home?

Thanks jockette and sistersinhim your advice and help is appreciated. I think i am just impatient and want to get back to normal. I do feel guilty when i don`t do physio. It is strange though because sometimes physio helps and sometimes it does not.
I am getting stronger but it is slow and steady.
Thanks again for your help and advice.

I do feel guilty when i don`t do physio.
There is no reason at all to feel guilty. Don't think of it as not doing physio, think of it as letting your knee heal and recover from the last physio. Every movement you make with your knee is physio. It doesn't have to be certain exercises to be therapy. All movements are.

Thanks Again sistersinhim.
I have just received the letter confirming what my surgeon said in my last visit. One question i do have. In the latest letter and the letter previously mentioned that he thinks their is and i quote ( No further subsidence in the tibial component from this X-ray to the last X-ray.) Is this some other members have experienced and what does it mean?

I really don't know what subsidence means in regard to a TKR. the best thing to do is to ask your doctor to explain it.

Hi all good people. Now at 14 months post op. I have noticed slow improvement still i have returned to swimming which i really enjoy. I am not pain free as yet and still have bad days where my knee is not happy. The one strange thing i have noticed more recently is i have more crunching and grinding going on both under and around my knee cap plus a little around the back of my knee on the operated side.
When i warm up and cycle on a recumbent bike this does go away but as soon as the knee cools down it returns. Not sure what this could be it is a little concerning.
I am not due to see my surgeon until October the last X-Rays all looked good. Just wondering if this could be scar tissue which is swelling up and causing me the pain.
I still take Ibuprofen and co-codamol to help my aim was to come of the medication but sadly as yet this is not a option.
I will persevere and see where things are by October by that time over 18 months will have elapsed i think if by then i am still no better then options will be discussed with my surgeon. He does not want to sign me off until i am relatively pain free which is reassuring.

If possible get another MRI at 18 months. You can see a lot more than x-rays. My x-rays of knee look great, MRI not so much.

My crunching most likely due to swelling under kneecap that MRI sees but X-rays don't.

Thanks Beesknee that's good advice i will. I did not think you could have a MRI after a PKR of TKR due to the implant causing issues.

It will not show the implant area but will show other parts of your knee.

It will not show the implant area but will show other parts of your knee.
Thanks beesknee I will ask I feel that just recently I have gone backwards with my recovery. I seem to be getting more crunching and pain. I will try and continue until October when my next surgeon appointment is.

Hi good people. I have just had a week on holiday with my family away in Wales.
I thought it would be a good gauge to see where I am with my knee. Just managed to walk around 3000-4000 steps a day but this did come at a cost my knee is not happy. At over 14 months post op I thought I would be better. I called my surgeons hospital today. I have got a appointment to see them this coming Thursday. I seem to be going backwards at the moment. My kneecap and surrounding area is really stiff. And the crunching is worse.
I will have my questions ready for my appointment.

I’m sorry your knee is not better by now. I wouldn‘t think 3-4,000 steps a day would be too much to ask of a 14 month old knee. I hope you find some answers on Thursday. If you are not happy then, is it possible to get a second opinion from a surgeon who has no association with your current surgeon?

Hi good people of bonesmart it been a while to update work has been hectic.

I had another appointment with my surgeon back on the 7th of July. I explained that i am mobile and trying to get on with my life but my knee still rules my activities. I explained that i am still taking pain medication and now i wear a T.E.N.S machine most days to help me continue with me daily work duties.
The surgeon is concerned and has booked me into to have a SPECT CT scan to view my implant more closely.
Now it is just a waiting game for the scan to take place but i am satisfied with this. The surgeon did stress to me that i am not being a nuisance and they will try and find a solution.
I will update as and when the scan takes place.

Since you and I seem to be on similar paths I am interested in what your CT scan finds.

I am on a regular exercise plan to strengthen my quad muscle in operated knee (see my last update on my PKR thread). Over the past few months I have gone up on weight in 5 lb increments every week or two so my knee is getting stronger but not strong enough yet to make stairs and getting around much easier. Assuming no setbacks, it will be several months before my leg strength is at a normal level.

My #1 recommendation to anyone scheduled for a PKT or TKR - If you can, exercise your legs as much as pain will allow so you start recovery from a strong base.

HI Beesknee. Yes we seem to be on very similar paths indeed.
I have also increased my weights on my operated leg. I do a 40 minute session every other day and on the non physio day i go swimming. This has helped me tremendously. Not so much with my knee but physically and mentally it helps me switch off from my knee issue.
As i mentioned earlier i wear a T.E.N.S machine now most days at work and this has helped as well.
I will update further when i receive my scan date.
Again all the good people on this forum help me tremendously.
I hope you continue your improvements.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram