PKR Clunky Knee

Ginger1210

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi I recently had a medial right PKR just over three weeks ago. Physio going well and improving a little day by day. The only issue i have is my knee now feels clunky when i walk its like its just not lined up correctly at times. This is not painful as yet it just feels strange. Is this something i should be concerned with at this early stage?

Hello @Ginger1210 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement , so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It's still very early in recovery, too soon to be assuming that things aren't right. Your knee is swollen, externally and internally, and that is going to affect the way it feels.

Here are our recovery guidelines, to help you with recovery:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi the date of my operation was 19/04/2021, Thanks

Reactions: shr
Hi My first post on the recovery thread. I had a medial Right PKR on the 19th April 2021. Recovery not to bad Managing pain with Ice and pain medications. Saw my physio nurse yesterday she was happy with my recovery so far. Encouraged me to go to one stick and increase my physio to include a stationary bicycle just 5 minutes rotation. All good. The only strange thing i am finding is my knee clunks at times when walking on climbing stairs. Little unsure about this almost feels out of line at times. But no more grinding bones which is good. Found the advice and information great on here.

HI @Ginger1210

It's quite common to have a new knee that makes noises and feels odd. This afrticle explains:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

By the way, you'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Best wishes,
Celle

Thanks Celle that's great. Thanks for merging the two threads. I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to these types of forums.

Three and half weeks post op. feeling a little better each day still have pain and stiffness but doing a little more. I do get frustrated and times and a little anxious about the future how i will be and returning to work i try to stay positive but i will not deny it can be a worry. Usually wake up ok and feel pretty good its around tea time when i become tired and a little depressed. wanted to know if this is a common feeling post op?

Usually wake up ok and feel pretty good its around tea time when i become tired and a little depressed. wanted to know if this is a common feeling post op?
Yes, it is quite common.
You start the day rested and as you get more tired during the course of the day your physical and mental energy are drained, so you're more vulnerable.

This article explains the loss of energy - Energy drain for TKRs . It's just as relevant for a PKR as for a TKR.

And this article talks about post-op depression:
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Ginger, my story exactly! Most days as it gets to be late afternoon, it’s like a cloud descends over me! I start feeling antsy and frustrated. Celle is right: physical, mental AND emotional energies are drained by then. It’s not a fun place to be, but this will pass, I’m sure!

Thanks sisterpat it's good to know it's not just me. And you are right it will pass. Thanks for the encouragement .

I found that lots of little naps helped my energy drain not be so bad. Now, is the time for those naps. When your body is asleep your knee can heal even better.

Well nearly 4 weeks post op from PKR Today was a good day had a little go on stationary bike again no resistance just movement. Was a little discomfort at first but got better my muscles tightened up and helped with the clunky feeling walked a little more with one cane. Then ice and elevation. Yes there is pain But not the same crunching pain pre op. Little baby steps every day.

Well after a good day yesterday, not so good today knee really painful under the kneecap. Eased off on the physio and just rested. Feel a little low and depressed but as this forum suggests you can take one step forward and two back.

Hang in there! It’s a roller coaster ride, which eventually comes to a happy end.

Four and a half weeks post op. Managed two short walks yesterday with no walking stick, just over 3 kilometers. I was sore afterward but iced and elevated.
I have a question to other fellow post op members. I am still having to elevate and ice my knee during the night is this quite normal at this stage of recovery? My knee seems to swell more when i am asleep than during the day.

Yes, it’s very normal to swell and elevate overnight at 4 and a half weeks. You may swell for many months yet.

Thanks Jockette it's good to know.

I swelled for many, many months, on up to a year, after a different, more aggressive activity.

Hi Ginger. I’m 10 weeks out, and it’s only for the last 3 weeks or so that my knees feel better first thing in the morning than they did when I went to bed. For the first few weeks, the bedside light went on and off all night, now only once every few days. You’ll get there.
I, like you, got frustrated and tearful in the evenings to start with, it was a while before I lasted a whole evening in the lounge watching tele with hubby without taking to my bed with the ice, and Bonesmart.

Hi Ghostpipe, thats it in a nutshell. Bonesmart has been a godsend to read other peoples experiences at different stages of recovery has been real help, as soon as i feel myself getting frustrated and upset i read the recovery threads on bonesmart and it really helps. Thanks for the encouragement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562