Revision THR Clunk and pain years later.

Welcome @DLR I am 12 weeks out from my LTHR and am still mostly using a walker. I use a cane part time in the house. I can only imagine what your PT would have said about me! Speaking of house, we too have a split level with 4 levels and 6 or 7 steps separating each level. The worst possible layout for mobility issues. I quit PT about 4 weeks ago as they just seemed to be hurting not helping. I have been cutting back on pushing myself and just trying to increase my walking outside by a small amount each day and not if it hurts anything. Also have OA both knees but no surgery. When I am finally recovered, we are going to sell this stair filled house! Good luck to you.

Thanks @nochoice I was just reading your postings. Quite the journey for you. I do have some perspective on the "unexpected surgery" route. My husband was hit by a drunk driver 5 years ago and received many fractures including both hips and pelvis. Right now we have matching limps, his will never improve while I hope mine will. I am really struggling with regretting going ahead with the revision, while I know it had to be done it's hard accepting that I am now much more limited than I was before the surgery. Since the accident 5 years ago I have taken on the majority of work around home due to my husbands permanent injuries. I need to try to stay positive and not get too discouraged with the slow recovery. Thanks for your encouragement

Sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he is not in pain anymore. Try to let things go around the house that aren't essential right now. My poor husband is an avid cyclist but has had to give it up this summer since if he has an injury there would be no one to take care of us. I'm just as happy he's not out on the roads and here safe but he's not happy about it. It's really hard not having one able bodied person around to more easily pick up all the chores.

Hang in @DLR This is a long journey and needs patience. Lowering one's standards helps too! :heehee:
Not easy with my big dog shedding fur and me being unable to pick things up. I never realized how often I bend to pick up stuff until I couldn't do it!
I am so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. That must have been so traumatic for you.
Try to stay positive as it helps.

Thanks @nochoice and @Granny Di . My husband lives with pain all the time though celebrex helps and he is a positive man, so I am thankful. At times I feel like a wimp complaining about my pain but I know my journey while different than his is still my challenge so I will keep trying and try to be patient and let the housework go :)

@DLR
My goodness, how awful for you both having pain. A real double whammy since not only do you have to cope with your own pain but see a loved ones as well. Wishing you better days ahead!

How do I move to walking more. I can't seem to walk further than a half a short block before the knee and calf pain kicks in. I have been using an exercise bike with no resistance and trying a treadmill at a slow pace concentrating on correct form when walking, I can do that for 5 minutes with minimal pain, just haven't been able to translate to outdoors.
Please can someone explain to me why, when person has a pain, they think exercise/activity it the way to resolve it? You shouldn't be doing anything with pain, minimal or otherwise. It will just make the pain worse. You're 17 weeks out from a revision which was far from routine (to the best of my recollection) so it's not unreasonable to expect some extra ache sand pains which still need nurturing and TLC. IN other words, don't do so much!

Hi dlr I to am starting to have slight problems with my knee stiffening up when I walk and have to rest for a minute or two until it eases off. I am hoping this is a minor issue and part of my recovery. I was at the football this afternoon and it was giving me problems so I had to rest while my son collected the tickets.

Billy

Ouch @Josephine . I have been following the recommendation on the piriformis syndrome link which suggests short intervals on the exercise bike with no resistance and the stretches...that is the "exercise" I am doing along with short intervals of walking until pain starts then I stop! I am now pain free except when walking more than a half block or sitting in a low car more than 1/2 hour.
My revision surgery was actually much simpler than the original THR as it was only the acetabulum portion and not the stem and I had no major blood loss compared to the first time where my Hg dropped to 37 and required 4 units. The first time I was touch weight bearing for 6 weeks, this time weightbearing as tolerated.That said I do realize it is still major surgery I was simply asking how to gradually increase the walking as that seems to be an immovable wall right now..

I would suggest staying off the bike and treadmill at this point. When things have eased start with very short walking distances. Do 1/2 as much as you think you can do and don't increase the distance until you can do it without pain. These things take time. What seems impossible one day is very easy the next.

Sitting in a low car will be a challenge for awhile. Use a pillow or wedge cushion on the seat. Makes getting in and out much easier as well.

I have been following the recommendation on the piriformis syndrome link which suggests short intervals on the exercise bike with no resistance and the stretches...that is the "exercise" I am doing along with short intervals of walking until pain starts then I stop! My revision surgery was actually much simpler than the original THR as it was only the acetabulum portion
:heehee: :blush: Oh sorry about that and well done.

I saw my OS today. He feels my pain is referred from my lower back. He has seen it many times with hip surgery due to the extreme manipulation while in surgery combined with the protective way we walk as we recover and the overall change in gait pattern. He encouraged me to be patient and exercise by walking or stationary biking as tolerated. He said he could refer me to physio but he honestly feels that would not be helpful or useful ( @Josephine would be so proud). He will see me in 2 months and xray the joint to confirm all is well. So patience is my motto .... at least I will try:)

Hi All,
I have developed an audible clunk ( my husbband can hear) on R side with each step walking and it causes me to fatigue. The farther I walk the more it feels like a band is tightening around my thigh right at groin level. I had a fall in Feb and this started a couple weeks later. Xrays of hip and knee show implants appear stable. Seeing physio until I can see my surgeon in September. Physio exercises, sitting extensions with band, standing extensions with band cause knife like pain in groin. No clunk or pain doing stairs or squats. Any ideas what it is ?

@DLR Sounds like you might need a fresh set of eyes to take a look at this. I would be concerned as you did mention you had a fall. Replaced joints are sometimes noisy - but at this stage I would be concerned.

And please stop all that exercise with bands. It is obviously not doing a thing except aggravate the pain.

If you haven't seen the surgeon yet, who did the review of the x-rays?

@Jaycey my GP sent me the xray reported by a radiologist. I am wanting my surgeon to review them which he will in September. I fell while in Cambodia, onto cobblestone and had a plate size bruise centered on my hip incision. My concern is the stem...it is my original one from 2003 , when my surgeon did my revision in 2015 it was just the acetabulum.
My physio is at my surgeons office it is part of the process here in Ontario to get back into my surgeon... fortunately they are only seeing me once every 2 weeks, so I can limit the band exercises.

In my experience the radiologist report can be misleading. When I developed symptoms in my right hip I had 2 x-rays and a CT scan. All the reports said there was OA in the joint but the degree was undefined. The surgeon took one look and said time for THR. Do have a good discussion with your surgeon. Don't accept the "all is well" when you are having this pain. That stem is 20 years old now. These days and technology lasts a very long time. But coupled with that fall you might need a revision.

Please keep us updated!

Reactions: DLR
Seeing physio until I can see my surgeon in September. Physio exercises, sitting extensions with band, standing extensions with band cause knife like pain in groin. No clunk or pain doing stairs or squats. Any ideas what it is ?
A physio is having you do that as a fix? I'd wait until my OS looked at everything and even then I'd stay away from the physio.

Hello DLR,
I am sorry you're dealing with pain and may be facing a revision. Please keep us posted. We're here for support always.

You will notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Best wishes!
@DLR

Hi All, I am still waiting to see my ortho...Sept 13...meanwhile I was in a car accident fortunately nothing but bruising...I did notice the clunk went away for about 2 weeks during the time my thigh was sore and swollen from hitting the brake hard to lessen the impact. The clunk sometimes single sometimes double each step is back again. I also have had a few incidents of the same leg feeling like my foot hit ice, it jolts me as I think I will fall...but nothing is wet or icy. Forty husband witnessed one of these and checked the flooring was fully dry but at least he saw the physical reaction and can help me explain to the doctor...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back