Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

@sissy46 Staying healthy and making slow but steady progress through law school. Lot of blips in the surface of my SO's health, but we seem to be in a period of stability....hope I didn't jinx it by saying it out loud!!! What about you? You back in your kayak yet?

Thought I'd pop on and acknowledge my First Hip-iversary... and acknowledge the support that BoneSmart gave me when I needed it the most, particularly in those early days; thank you moderators, Jo and all those fellow hippies who were "there" for me :loveshwr:

I can't believe a whole year has passed! :shocked:

I'm not quite at the "forgotten hip" stage, but that's really a tendinitis/piriformis issue not a hip one, so.... maybe "the hip" is forgotten, just not the bum :eyebrows: Still it is SOOOO much better than before surgery, a few weeks before my Hip-iversary we went to New Zealand on holiday; this was our third visit and I got to participate in so many more activities than the previous trips... and without pain, it was confirmation (if I needed it) that this was worth doing!:yahoo: I will be starting the journey for my right hip soon, but that's a whole other story :heehee: BoneSmart will be my "go to" reference for that roller coaster ride too!

Donna :flwrysmile:

@sharonslp Wow, law school! You will be a kind and compassionate lawyer, which may be rare. What branch of the law will be your specialty?

You know I was back in my kayak right away. These days I'm doing more solo canoeing than kayaking, since I now have a kevlar/carbon canoe that weighs a mere 13 lbs. But I still have 2 kayaks as well.

This year I took training at our local zoo to become a docent, and that has been more fun and more rewarding than I ever could have imagined.

My 3 year anniversary for my THR was last month, and my new hip remains my favorite joint with never a twinge.

Do you remember one of the warriors in my group, "nerd girl" I think she was called here? She was in Florida from Seattle last month and it was my pleasure to take her paddling on the Wekiva River. She is pending knee replacement soon so she may be back on BS for that. I'm still in touch on Facebook with several others in my group; Cookie, Giraffe, Bellaroma---all doing well.

P.S. In reply to Sissy46, Pepi,my poodle, is only 12 lbs, but he has a good pull.
I only stop, when walking without aid, is when I start aching too much. (It really isn't pain.)
Also, I think that my balance has been affected. I have to steady myself also. But that could be because of my age. (*_*)

Four years ago i had my hip replaced and I haven't looked back. It has been an amazing journey and my hip is going strong. I have been playing soccer (albiet a non-physical guys and gals comp); doing plenty of weights (squats; deadlifts etc); cycling 40 to 50km trips a couple of times a month; running on the treadmill (short 1 min sprints at a time); using the rowing machine; chasing my young son around the yard.

I can honestly say I haven't felt this good in a long long time. Everyone is different, but I would not hesitate in having this operation. It has made a huge impact on my life.

Greetings to all:

I want to wish happy holidays to all and to report that I am doing well 3 and 1/2 years after my RTHR. Similar to Hoops68 above I work out regularly, cycle, yoga, weights etc. My RTHR was a positive turning point in my life and I continue to grow spiritually and in every other way.

I am tremendously grateful to the Bone Smart forum. I remember clearly how wall-to-wall scared I was of the surgery and what tremendous comfort the members of this forum provided. I did not have a lot of support and all of your positive messages made a great difference in my outlook
. I will be forever grateful and I encourage you all to make a donation to this forum.

May 2016 bring prosperity and great health to us all. God bless you.
"Zorro"

Merry Christmas to you all. I am doing so good. All four replacements are doing great! I pray that everyone here is doing the best they can do. Sometimes things come up and can make live even more interesting. Hand in there. God Bless! Tashia

Good evening all. Hope you are all keeping well and your shiny hips are serving ypu well xx

Happy New Year! I had my THR on my right hip in May. Feel completely healed and back to normal now. Can even cross my legs. I have a few bursitis aches and pains or the IT band or pierformis but they are mild and don't last. Walk my dogs daily and am a daycare provider so lots of moving bending and lifting. Still no issues. Would totally recommend getting the bad joints replaced . Hope everyone is well. Grateful for this forum as my doctor wasn't terribly helpful with recovery details. May everyone be blessed and healthy in the coming year.

Happy New Year to you all. I had a total hip replacement inJune and 6 months later am still amazed as to how well I feel.
Went back to school in September and thank goodness It all went well.
Happy New Year to you all.
Jennifer

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hi everybody, hope the new year brings everybody the best of luck. I'm coming up on 11 months after my bicycle accident followed by a hip pinning that didn't work out and I'm 6 months past RTHR. I'm not 100% but doing very good all things considered. I'm getting around pretty; no cane no crutches no pain. I've had to adjust my gait as my good leg wants to take longer strides than my " repaired leg" can accommodate. I had a RTKR on the same leg 6 years ago. I think that my hip replacement is just fine and the only thing that is still challenging is residual piriformis/sciatic pain. It was there after the pinning and though it is greatly reduced, prolonged sitting and driving are a challenge.
I'm so thankful for all the good advice and uplifting encouragement that I received from all the folks in this forum. I agree with a previous post that encouraged everyone to contribute and support the forum.
I feel so blessed that I'm doing as good as I am and can't help but think of some of the sad posts that I have come across. You know the ones where a person posts a bad surgical outcome or a condition which doesn't seem to have a solution and after 3 or 4 posts you never hear from them again. I keep them in my prayers and count my blessings.
Oh yeah, my wife set my bicycle on the curb months ago bought me a 3 wheeler and made me promise her to never ride a 2 wheeler again.

Happy New Years to all!!!! LTHR 2011, RTHR 2012....couple of little glitches along the way but overall it's been great!!! Bonesmart is such a valuable asset and really helped me through the process.
Thanks to all!!!

Hi everyone and a Happy New Year to you all!
I'm from class of 2011 (a left THR after a nasty fall).
And, apart from a bit of a blip about a year later (sorted out with physio in the end), I have to say that my hip is absolutely great! In fact, I hardly ever think about it nowadays; it feels absolutely 'normal'.

I came on here in 2011 because I was confused and concerned after an emergency op, and the great people on here helped me all the way. I don't know what I would have done without you all!

So Happy New Year and I hope you can carry on giving all the splendid help you are giving for a very long time!

Hi fellow Bonesmarties and a very Happy New Year to you all
I'm a member of the Class of 2011 and 2013 and am happy to report that my hips are amazing and I rarely think about them now. This forum gave me so much support when I had my ops and I can't thank you all enough for that.
Good luck to everyone and again huge thanks
Anne xx

All I can say is i love my hips, hardly give them a thought only when I fly and have to explain I have two replacements. Three years since my op and yes still improving range of movement. I still do some of the hip exercises as I find I can stiffen a bit if I neglect them.

Had RTHR 15 Jan 2016 - so guess I'm Class of 2016! Any others? So almost 2 week anniversary. It's encouraging to hear how most are happy w their results! I feel great and reliant only on cane. Can't wait for visit to doc on Feb 1 for assessment in progress!

Hello everyone. I can introduce myself as I look around the forum at all of this great information.

So Monday February 1st 2016 I had RTHR. Also December of 2012 I tried to have the labrum repaired but it was too far gone so it was just a clean up that took the pain away for about 6 months but also took away any strength I had.

Hindsight I should have just gotten a new hip. The torn labrum was bad for 13 years.

So yes I am 40 and have two surgeries on one hip with no major injuries. No one can figure it out.

Glad to be here! Well sort of...

This is the second anniversary of my first (left) hip replacement. It is awesome and gives no trouble at all. Second (right) hip anniversary in May. Generally feel very good; walk up to 11 miiles in a day which beats struggling a few yards on a walker before the second replacement. Bicycled 18 miles today, very comfortable. Right one still has some ilio-tibial band muscle issues that results in minor discomfort after much use, like a minor sports injury. Great life-restoring and improving surgery - I am very grateful to the medical folks who invent, manufacture, install and coach people through this.

Hello All!
It was one year ago today that I had my right hip replaced and I am happy to report that I have been back on my cross country skis this winter. I even skate skied 7 kms today although mostly I have been classic skiing. Although I still ache at times and I am a long way from the fitness level I was at prior to surgery (and a lot heavier) I feel confident that I will be able to ski a lot more next winter.
I appreciate so much the medical profession that makes this surgery possible. Miracles happen!

Hmmmmmm I must have the Forgotten Hip! My right hip celebrated its third birthday a week ago, but I only thought of it today while considering my wedding anniversary date next month!
Hope all are well!
I should be back on the pre-op side this fall :)

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks