Class of 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Hippies

Lumiere I am so sorry your THR did not go in the way you were promised. Have you no way of getting it put right - but I can understand if you don't want any more surgery.
My OS was so keen to point out all the things that could go wrong and get me to sign a disclaimer that I almost cancelled - they are so afraid of being taken before the British General Medical Council or sued for compensation! I was in so much pain (on oral morphine), in a wheelchair for any trip out of home and generally miserable so went ahead, 10 months ago tomorrow.
I am still not pain-free, my thigh muscles still twinge and other bits (knee, shoulder) play up and I still have no stamina - but compared to this time last year I am wonderful! Like PlanetJanet I used to have to steel myself to move even into a wheelchair (or visit the bathroom - whoops, nearly too late!) because the pain was so awful.
Kind regards from Anne

Anne,
The OS didn't tell me of all things that could happen with the surgery, but when when he said I asked for a revision surgery, he enummerated more than 10 horrible things that could happen. Of course I had to say: "no, thanks." And since he left my left leg about 2 inches shorter than the other, he also offered to shorten my good leg. Of course, I wouldn't want anyone to touch my good leg. Besides that the surgeon left my leg much shorter, it's bent towards the inside and I have no flexibility in the hip, so I can not seat straight. Here in the US they make you sign a disclaimer even to get your nails done (I'm exaggerating). Before the surgery I was never in pain in my hip but my knee got swallen. One local OS said I needed an arthroscopy but I went to the best clinic in the country and they told me I needed my hip replaced. Since it was the best clinic in the country, I thought I should do it. My surgeon didn't have much experience but a retired OS who recommended him asked to be present. I think he wanted to let the young surgeon do whatever and he really didn't check anything. I feel they have ruined my life.
I read you still have pain and muscle twinges. I have pain almost every day on the area of the surgery. It's hard to move in the bed and even get up in the morning. I'm sorry for you. It's horrible to be in pain every day. It gets on the way of enjoying life. I wonder why some of us have to go through so much in life and others don't. My sister had a knee arthroscopy and complained so much because she couldn't move during the night for three days. You and I and many hippies go through pain for months and even after years of surgery. Any reason why? Does it makes us tougher/wiser/nicer/more sympathetic to the human condition? Any advantages of living in pain? None that I can think of.
Greetings,
Luz

HI Everyone,
I had THR on 06/19/112. I'm still recovering and going to PT 2x/wk. My hip was fused for 45 years, so it takes a long time to put those muscles to work. I didn't get the expected results but I still exercise and do the homework because I have hope that it can improve.
Even though I found BoneSmart by accident in August 2013 (14 months after my surgery), I'm happy I found all of you. It's great to know there're other people in the world reading and understanding what we go through. May be one day while I'm at the forum, I'll run into someone who had a fused hip like me.

Cheers,
Lumiere

PlanetJanet, hi there PJ.. I remember how kind you were to me. I am very pleased for you that one year down you are feeling the benefits of your surgery. Thanks for visiting this thread and sharing with us some of your future plans :)

Hi to all of my fellow hipster friends! Just dropped in to check on everyone. My RTHR was 12/6/2012 and I had an awesome and quick recovery. Back to work in 5 weeks and very little issues. My hip is fantastic and I am so glad I had it done. Can't run now though and that bothers me for some reason. I didn't care to before but just knowing I couldn't run away from danger bothers me. I am getting a little faster but I look more like I am galloping now than running...lol! My left knee is still an issue and I guess I will have to move over and check things out on the knee side soon. Can do anything for at least another year though...need to build my time back up and don't want to take off again already. Otherwise, life is good. I seldom even think about my hip anymore. Love you guys...you just don't know what support you gave me. Couldn't have done it with you all. Special thanks to Josephine and Poppet!

Hi all,
Just found this thread and I am so pleased to see the class of 2011 doing so well. I had revision of a 20 year old hip in may 2011 and I can honestly say that I have never been so good. There are not enough hours in my day, to fit in all my activities, walking, cycling, golf and recently I have discovered water aerobics. i feel like a young child discovering new joys, as now I can do all this without thinking that I may be too stiff or sore.
I write this as I know that most of you in the future may face a revision and I want to give you all hope, I was petrified going for a revision as I am sure Josephine remembers.
Thank you all who supported me through what was a terrifying time for me, I am rarely on the forum now as I have many other commitments but I will always be grateful to everyone at Bonesmart.

Wow Danni, great to hear from you after all this time. Happy you are doing so well. Enjoy yourself.

Danni what a wonderful encouraging post, thank you ! Although my new hips are only just over 2 years and just over 8 months old respectively I already find myself wondering about how long they will last and what a revision would be like so it is great to hear how well yours has turned out.
Best wishes
Anne

Hi DebB. Great to hear from you.. So pleased that life and your new hip are treating you well.. Interesting as I am 23 months post and my knee on my un operated leg is giving me pain.. I suspect mine is from the hip which needs replacing..

Do drop by again, especially for our New Year Eve's online party x

Hi all it will be 12 months on the 22nd november since i had my right hip totally replaced it's been a ruff time the healing process but well worth having done as the pain is only very slight now. when i was told that i needed my right hip replaced i thought oh no this can't be happening and i'd never get over it but i have i attend the gym quite a lot to make it all strong.
when i was told it would have to be done the doctor said my left would last a couple of more years before it needs doing but since going to the gym my new hip is well strong and the left side is giving a lot of pain now which i'm worried that i'm going to have to wait until i'm struggling to walk again before they will do the left side.
i have stopped all my tablets because i keep getting to many side effects and all my gp said is wait until i have had my 12 month visit at the hospital. am i the only one having this sort of problem?
i'm climbing the wall some times when the pain is getting as high as what the right side was before my right hip was done if it wasn't for sleeping tablets i'd never get any rest.
i don't regret having my hip done i just wish they had done both and got it out of the way.

First hip done (birmingham hip resurface) done May 2012 and it's been brilliant. Other one done this year so matching set and all good so far.

Fantastic stan794, when I create the 2013 thread, you will have one leg in one thread and the other in the next one... Very smart! Good to hear from you :)

I had my left hip replaced on December 28th, 2012. That's almost eleven months ago and I'm doing well. I walk two miles a day, five days a week and bowl once or twice a week. The leg still feels a little strange when I put all my weight on it but, according to the X-rays, everything is still in place. This forum has been a big help to me. Ya'll have encouraged me all along the way. Thank you.

Hi everyone, good to catch up. I just passed my first year and am thrilled with my new hip. Recently walked miles around New York, Berlin and northern France and feel completely back to normal, actually better than I can remember. Still need a knee done but am having great results with durolane. One shot has kept me pain free for almost six months so I hope to put surgery off for quite some time. My best to all those who supported me during my recovery. Vicki

Ps. Sorry about the avatar...I could not get it to post correctly. If you turn it sideways, you will see I am toasting all my Bonesmart friends!

Vida great to hear from you! I'm so glad your travels went well! I was wondering about that. I just renewed my passport, so I am hoping to get in a trip to your fair city soon (not far but it does require a valid passport), and then a trip to Europe in the spring. The trip to Europe will probably be London (and nearby) and Barcelona (and anything within driving distance). I have relatives near Barcelona, and they have volunteered tour of "hidden Spain". Needless to say, I jumped on that offer! Did you take a knee brace with you or was the Durolane enough? Cheers back to you!

Hey nerdgrrl lovely to hear from you. I was fine in Europe without a knee brace, although it was in my bag just in case. I am just starting to feel the knee again but have two weeks upcoming in Mexico, so will wait until January for shot number 2. My husband needs his foot re-operated on next summer after a failed fusion, so we are taking turns to look after each other. Your European trip sounds wonderful. Although I am a Brit by background, I have only been back once to London in 35 years! Hardly recognized it but had a fantastic time. And Spain: you are so lucky to have family that will take you to hidden spots. I love Barcelona, its one of the most vibrant cities I have ever visited. Three years ago we landed there for a week then spent 10 days touring through San Sebastian, Bilbao and the rioja area. The Basque country is very interesting, the people lovely and the food to die for. Hope all is well with you hip-wise. If you decide to come up here, do send me a message -- if I'm not traveling, I would love to meet you.

Well a full year has passed since I had my right hip replaced on 29th November 2012 and I feel great. I have walked round Venice, Spain (well not all of it) and spent 3 weeks in Florida mostly by the pool with a couple of parks thrown in. I feel 20 years younger and am in such a happy place. I had great x ray results post 12 months and my left hip is great, no sign of any problems. The only small problem I have is a bit of scar adhesion but with massage it is improving by the week. Hope everyone else is having a wonderful life. Surgeons are great are they not and the support here has been fantastic. Thank you all

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back