BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

ankle ChristineY's Ankle Replacement

Discussion in 'Other joint replacements discussion forum' started by ChristineY, Nov 24, 2017.

1. ChristineY

ChristineY new member

United States United States
    Good Morning, I apologize ahead of time if my post is in the wrong section. I am 3 weeks post surgery after a total left ankle replacement and anterior tendon repair on the same leg. I am still in a boot, (for another 3 weeks), and have just started physical therapy. 1/4 weight bearing in boot only with a walker. I am still in considerable pain but am hopeful this will be the end of a 3 year struggle with bilateral ankle fractures and end state arthritis. My right ankle did not require a replacement, but the left one did as a result of a serious compound fracture I suffered in the jungles of Belize. My OS used the Star ankle replacement. I would love to hear from other members who have had a TAR and what their experiences have been.
    Nov 26, 2017
    Ok, I am now officially 3 weeks post op from my total ankle replacement and tendon repair surgery. I'm still in considerable pain! I've had two post op Dr. appointments. At the first appointment the incision sites appeared very swollen with some infection. The leg was casted for a week. After completing a course of heavy duty antibiotics while elevating 20 hours a day, the swelling went down and the infection appears to be gone. I am now in a "walking boot", but only allowed to weight bear 1/4 of my body weight in the boot with a walker. I went into this procedure motivated to eliminate the constant pain in my ankle and in hopes I could return to walking and exercising regularly. I'm worried that the pain does not appear to be dissipating. I'm still on narcotic pain meds. What might I expect as far as time goes for functionality and pain relief?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to BoneSmart @ChristineY ! I moved your post to a thread of it's own. You will get much more response from our members this way. Please keep all your questions and updates here so that we have your history in case you need advice.

If you click on the "ankle" title in front of your thread title you will get a list of all the threads members have created about their ankle procedures.

3. Jim mc

Jim mc new member

Christine,
    Just making contact with you. I'm new to the forum but wish to share my experience. I had total ankle replacement surgery 23rd October 2017.
    I had a Wright Infinity prosthesis in the uk. It is now about 14 weeks since the op. I hardly used any painkillers and after 7 weeks decided to not use crutches any more (mainly because of snow and ice) .
    now at nearly 14 weeks post op. Can walk nearly normally and climb up and down stairs. There is little pain and I can stand for at least 8 hours! Plan to play golf (walking) next week. Most of my ankle movement is back to normal. I can't say there is no pain, but once I get it going, it's really much, much better than before surgery.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Jim mc ,
    Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us.
    Glad to hear you are doing well.
    Suggest you start your own thread in the OtherJoints forum, that way you will receive responses and answers to any questions you have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

ChristineY hasn't been on the forum since Oct 30th @Jim mc
    So I suggest you do as Pumpkln suggests and start your own thread in here.

But welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.