TKR Christine's Post Op Recovery

I'm glad your doctor increased your pain medicine. It's too bad you can't get to see OS unto the 21st. I hope the X-ray doesn't show any problems with your knee.

Thank you @newlybionic and @Thesoutherncook. Today was much better. I doubled my Tramadol and it was great until the mid afternoon when it started to wear off. I know that I should not be relying on meds like this almost 5 months after surgery so hopefully the OS will have some answers.

If you need the medicine than use it. I still occasionally use tramadol at the end of my day so I can sleep.

Saw the OS on Monday. Nothing wrong with the implant but blood work done to rule out infection. Prescription given for Celebrex. All the holiday running around has been horrible with all the pain in my new knee. We are hosting Christmas dinner for 7 on Friday and another one on Boxing Day for 10. Never again!

Here's hoping that everyone here has a merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and pain free new year!

Christine, you are in my prayers for relief from your pain. I hope your blood work comes back negative for an infection. You are in my thoughts and prayers for strength during your Christmas dinners and I hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy your family and friends. Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Wow, I haven't been around for a while. Didn't think it was that long ago but it really was. I hope all of the July Sparklers are doing well. I found out that I don't have an infection, thank goodness. There is no explanation for my ongoing pain apart from the fact that I have a chunk of metal in my knee. Painkillers don't work so I'm just living within my ability and learning to deal with it. I was hoping to be able to do a lot of walking next week when we go to San Diego on vacation but since my hubby now has to have a hip replacement, we are renting a car and just driving everywhere.

It's Family Day up here today so we are just chilling and watching all the snow outside. The warm Californian sunshine is going to be a welcome relief from the cold spell we've been having.

Take care, all and hopefully I won't stay away so long again.

Sounds like a wonderful vacation to San Diego, lots of sunshine, nice and warm, you should feel better.
Have you thought about a second opinion? Preferably with an OS not associated with your present OS, who does lots of revisions, they have the training and experience to determine what is going on with your knee.
Hope your husbands THR goes well, you can point him to the hip forums for great information.

Have a great vacation! Someplace warm and sunny sounds just like the place I want to be. I'm still having problems with my knee so I'm going to have a revision done unfortunately. My July sparkler turned out to be a dud!:rotfl:

I am so sorry you are still having pain. I think a second opinion might give you peace of mind at least. Prayers for you and for your husband's THR.

Hope you have a great vacation. So sorry things didn't turn out well with your tkr. I had mine done in july also, it was my second one, and this one was better than my other one.
I agree with the others about getting a second opinion. You need to find out why you still have pain. We live in NY, also, and this cold snap was horrible. Stayed in all weekend, cuz that cold made my knee ache. So have fun, and enjoy that sunshine, that in itself will make you feel better!!

Hi @cairistiona60 I have just read your post on Nana moon's thread. I am one day behind you and also still having issues. Mine are muscle tightness, stiffness and painfulness, probably made worse recently by the fact that I have Shingles at the moment. I get little pain with the actual knee, most is under my knee and down my shin. My PT thinks I need orthotics as my feet are going inwards, but I haven't been able to see one because I have been infectious. What problems are you still having?

@Majic so sorry to hear you have shingles. That can't be fun. My knee has never fully recovered from the surgery. It still feels sore, stiff and swollen. I have been told that there is nothing wrong with the implant, the bone or the joint. I've been told that I am in the 5% of people who have ongoing pain after a knee replacement. Two surgeons have said this. Something went ping when I was on my exercise bike on Saturday and it felt a bit better. Don't see the surgeon now till September. I've been back at work full time since the end of October but only recently have managed to avoid taking sick days. I'm still not sure that having surgery was a good thing.

@Majic so sorry to hear you have shingles. That can't be fun. My knee has never fully recovered from the surgery. It still feels sore, stiff and swollen. I have been told that there is nothing wrong with the implant, the bone or the joint. I've been told that I am in the 5% of people who have ongoing pain after a knee replacement. Two surgeons have said this. Something went ping when I was on my exercise bike on Saturday and it felt a bit better. Don't see the surgeon now till September. I've been back at work full time since the end of October but only recently have managed to avoid taking sick days. I'm still not sure that having surgery was a good thing.

Christine, sorry to hear about your knee, mine isn't sore or swollen, but they are both very stiff, and the muscles are tight and painful. I don't think that this can be anything to do with the surgery, as this time last year my left TKR was fine apart from a slight intermittent pain below the knee at the end of the day, and I had joined a walking group. My right TKR went well, but the muscles started to tighten and hurt after I lost such a lot of weight during the prolonged UTI I had last year. As I am still on the same antibiotic, which can cause muscle pain I shan't really know how I am until I come off it in June/July. I am certainly better since I stopped the anti viral for shingles which can also cause a muscle pain. Have you had much PT or maybe hydrotherapy I found it helps a lot. I have also been reminded more than once that it can take up to two years to recover from a TKR, so perhaps we should try to be more patient.

So here we are, one year later and I have to say not much has changed. I'm no more mobile than I was before I got my new knee. It was supposed to give me a new lease of life but, well, that didn't happen. It is no longer weak and my knee cap doesn't dislocate, but it is stiff and sore all the time. I'm still on Tramadol and Celebrex. There is nothing wrong with the parts, I'm just one of the unlucky 5% who has ongoing pain. Time to try to increase my activity and just get on with it. Hubbie gets a new hip in the fall and I have to be able to keep up with him.

Happy knee one year anniversary to all the July 2015 sparklers!!

I'm so sorry that you are still having problems with your knee. I've been very lucky after seeing another OS who did a revision on my knee. Besides poor patellar tracking he found pieces of cement floating around in my knee and causing me pain and inflammation with each step. I really hope that you can get some help somewhere to decrease your pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom