BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

ankle Christine's ankle replacement and tendon repair

Discussion in 'Other joint replacements discussion forum' started by ChristineY, Nov 26, 2017.

1. ChristineY

ChristineY new member

United States United States
    I am now officially 3½ weeks post op from ankle replacement (star ) and anterior tendon repair in OC Ca. I went into this procedure hoping for pain relief and a return to functionality in my left ankle following a brutal compound fracture in Belize.

After 2½ years of trying to nurse the ankle back to health with PT, PRP injections and surgeries it became obvious that replacement was my only option. I am still in pain, a lot of pain. I am still taking narcotic pain medication!

My question for other patients is this - how long before the pain gets better? And in your experience, is this normal? Is it just the nature of an ankle replacement that the discomfort would last this long?

I did have the complication of infection at 1 week post op, but that has been cleared up after 10 days of super antibiotics.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @ChristineY Welcome to the other side of surgery. Sorry you are still in pain. Are you icing and elevating your ankle?

Given that you had an infection I think you are doing very well for only 3.5 weeks out. Are you still using any walking aid?

3. ChristineY

ChristineY new member

United States United States
    Hi Jaycey, thank you for your prompt response. Yes, I am icing and elevating every evening. It does help some.

The doctor thought I was pushing my recovery the first week too hard and that might possibly be the reason for my discomfort and infection. Since my first post op appointment I have been extremely compliant as far as resting, icing and elevating.

I should mention that in addition to the ankle surgery I was required to have some major dental work completed 30 days prior to my ankle surgery. I had 8 root canals in one sitting (under anesthesia), in late September. So essentially, I have had two big surgeries within 60 days of each other.

I am experiencing the post surgical blues along with the physiological healing process. I am 66 years old, and normally in pretty good health. I eat well and exercise regularly. But this procedure has flattened me! I have been released for out patient PT at this point, but am continuing with home health PT for one more week because of mobility, energy, and discomfort issues.

And yes, to your question about using a walking aid. I used the knee scooter for almost 3 weeks, and have graduated to using a walker in my orthopedic boot as I am gradually allowed to bear up to 50% total body weight this week on the affected leg.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Well your post explains a lot. Post op blues are real and you just can't fight it. And if you have had two major procedures that's double the anxiety. Hard as it is I think patience is prescribed as you are still not full weight bearing. Still very early days for you!

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

Oh, a whole 3½ weeks, eh? I guess no-one told you that the foot and ankle is very nerve rich and so not is any surgery exceptionally painful but it can take many weeks for things to settle down.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?