TKR Christina’s recovery

@sistersinhim,

Good advice, I think. The last few days I have been super tired so I took a surprising number of naps and occasionally wandered around the house. And yet I can tell my knee has actually gained some strength and a little ROM. It’s the little things that tell you it is actually healing bit by bit. And that is so encouraging! Tomorrow (Tuesday) is the day for getting the dressing off and staples out. I’m looking forward to it.

And goodness, looking at your history of procedures...you have really been through the ringer over the years. Thanks for being on here and sharing some experience!

@SpaceGirl,
Thanks for taking the time to comment! I saw you on someone else’s thread and noticed right away that you also work in education. Your surgery is getting close! How are you feeling about it? It’s crazy that the whole Covid thing made this a more advantageous time to do my second surgery! Wishing you all kinds of success and a summer of marvelous recovery!

@StvsHope I know, just barely over a week away! I am a little nervous but mostly that it could get canceled due to covid numbers going up. Our city gives updates every couple of days with how many cases are in the hospital etc, so I am just hoping it is not such a huge influx they have to cancel. I am ready to be done and on the recovery side! Glad you are doing well!

@StvsHope

i apologize again, I have not been on the site in a while and wanted to check to see how you are as we celebrate is it 6 weeks with our new knee.
Are you still doing therapy? It sounds like you have been doing great so early after surgery!
i would love a bath but do not think I could hoist myself up out of thetub.
With my first knee, I took a bath and was trapped as no one was home. I did not have my phone nearby and luckily I had a very thick bath sponge that I used to kneel on. It cushioned my knee that still needed surgery, enough to allow me to push up. Phew! It was funny but now I do not want to try that yet.
i am at 115 extension. I think this may be last week of therapy. I need to be at 120.

i love PT as the same people are there as last time and it is really my only chance to get out of the house. I love to chat with other patients especially if they have just had knee surgery and like to boost there spirits in those first few weeks and letting them know how great they are progressing.

Husband takes me out for drives, some shopping, dinner, and I think right now I am still pretty fatigued by walking. We made it to one store yesterday and that was all I could manage.

i have a dear friend from Wisconsin. I did not realize it gets so hot there. It was very steamy outside of Nashville this weekend. We got to enjoy a wonderful 360 view of fireworks last evening in our neighborhood as I think all of the neighbors bought tons since the main shows are cancelled. It was stunning!

i defiantly have had a lot of post op depression. I cannot seem to get motivated. Have been dreaming of Florida but not the best time to travel right now.
I hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend and are doing well! Please let me know how you are!

I would love a bath but do not think I could hoist myself up out of the tub.
I would hoist myself up with my hands and set my rear on the edge of the tub then swing my legs around to the floor. Then I could push myself up again and be standing. Have you tried that? Sometimes all a girl wants is to soak in the tub!

@StvsHope, we haven't heard from you in a while. How are things going with you?

Thank you I do not think I have the upper body strength to push up - our tub is deep. Usually I turn around putting knee on bottom of tub and push up, but for some reason can only do it with left knee and that is the knee that was replaced. I will attempt it though. I love my bath!,,

Good luck. You weigh less in water, so don't drain the tub until you are up on the edge. That helped me.

Here I am! Thanks for checking. It is so good to hear that you are slowly able to resume normal life! Doesn’t it feel good to get out and do regular things for a bit? I was just in the tub tonight and had to sit there and think about the best way to get up! But I made it. I just smile every time and think that I am increasing muscle strength with the effort.

I’m doing pretty well. My standard short reply is, “Making progress.” My extension is good, my flexion is coming along somewhere over 100 degrees. Not sure where since I had this week off from PT. I am driving very comfortably and can cautiously go foot over foot UPstairs. But not down yet. My scar is looking nicer and flattening, but is still a bit overly sensitive. And my quad muscles are slowly getting stronger. I can’t walk very far or long before I am tired, kind of sore, and counting every step, but I’m about to start walking each day and just going as far as I can to see if we can hurry this process up a bit. I did recently manage to make a full revolution on a stationary bike. (High seat position, cheating on form a little.) Can’t wait to really be able to ride a bike outside! Overall, I’m just super happy to have another month+ before I have to go back to school. (If we go back at all.)

My husband visited Nashville last year for work and loved it so much. Now it’s on our list of places to go when life resumes post Covid. And yes, the Midwest, including Wisconsin can get very hot, but it is the humidity that is really brutal! This weekend will be in the mid 90s. Boo.

Hope you continue to do well! Think of me when you get to go for a drive. We love doing that too!

I can’t walk very far or long before I am tired, kind of sore, and counting every step, but I’m about to start walking each day and just going as far as I can to see if we can hurry this process up a bit.
At your stage it is very normal to not be able to walk very far or long. Don’t try to push yourself because you can’t speed up your healing, no matter how much you want to. If you push the knee, the knee will push back, and the knee will always win!

@StvsHope I smiled as I read your most recent update, because it sounded exactly like me at the same stage, post op. I was getting frustrated with feeling tired and I wanted to walk more than just short distances, and there were days when it was easier to see the challenges instead of the progress. But I just got back from a 1.5 mile walk with our puppy, no pain, no fatigue, and now I’m really liking my new knee. I’m in the Midwest too (Minnesota, but had my first teaching job in Wisconsin many years ago) and it’s going to be a steamy weekend. Stay cool, and congratulations on your continued recovery!

Great update! I remember from my first surgery at 4 months thinking why do I still hurt when I walk etc. and everyone here was nice and said because I was still healing. Lol I was like thats a duh moment haha! Then 2 months later though recovering I could walk for hours and hours (did disney for 2 weeks) with no problems. So you will get there!!

Our school system can’t seem to make up its mind about restarting this fall. Our numbers are continuing to rise....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562