THR ChrissW's recovery thread

Hi @phillau43 how are you doing? As we are at similar timeframes (I know each re overly is different) does your brain feel more advanced in the process than your leg itself?

Chrissy, how are you?
I read bits and pieces from you and you three keep me relatively entertained on the Mayhip8 thread but would love an update on your feelings on your Recovery. I've gathered its going to be a rotten weekend weather wise for you across the pond. Stay inside where it's warm and dry and maybe curl up with a good movie or book, something relaxing.
Hope you have a good one!
@ChrissyW

Hi @Layla i think I'm doing pretty well though like I mentioned earlier to @phillau43 i think my brain is slightly ahead of my muscle recovery! I am doing most thinks, though slower at times for safety, and I've incorporated exercise back in to my daily routine ( I used to do yoga daily) but have adapted what I do to the most basic positions with no bending or excessive stretching with more walking than anything. I think going away on holiday made a big difference both mentally and physically and ad it was a cruise through the Norwegian fjords I didn't have to do anything overly energetic and it was a time of genuine calm, peace and a good tool to recovery. I know everyone's body is different and we all recover at a different pace so I don't want anyone to judge their journey by mine but I'm feeling really positive. This community has made a massive difference, helping me along the way, finding my hippy sisters in @Mayhip8 , @ahipgma and @Calgal who each have a special place in my heart and I honestly think the physiological impact would have been far worse without thus community there to reassure and boost my confidence along the way. I sing its praises to anyone who will listen and think every hospital should promote the community to patients.
And by the way @Layla, thank you fir asking and checking in xx

Hi Chrissy,
You're welcome, it's my pleasure to check in and see how you're coming along.

Your vacay sounds lovely, peaceful and relaxing. The Norwegian Fjords look exquisitely beautiful in pictures.
I'll bet it was the trip of a lifetime.

We're happy to hear your experience here has been positive thus far and that you've formed frienships you'll always remember. I look back on my early recovery as a special time of bonding between those I shared my journey with. Sharing laughs, tears, supporting and encouraging one another is what gets us through.

I honestly think the physiological impact would have been far worse without thus community there to reassure and boost my confidence along the way. I sing its praises to anyone who will listen and think every hospital should promote the community to patients.

Sweet music to our ears. On behalf of BoneSmart, a big THANK YOU!
Wishing you only the best as you continue the journey!
@ChrissyW

Hi @ChrissyW I think I’m probably very similar to you in terms of physical and psychological recovery. The brain thought ‘yep, 12 weeks and I’m done’ but the hip thought ‘not quite my friend!’ I’ve been working full time again for some weeks now and I am very tired at the end of the day/week and then try and do far to much around the home at the weekend. I still can’t stand on the operated leg and lean forward to pull on a pair of trousers without supporting myself, for example. Likewise shoelace tying is uncomfortable. I also limp when I’m tired but try not to most of the time. Minor problems though which I’m sure will resolve with time. My mother has just started the journey having had a THR last Thursday and is at home with us now recovering. It serves to remind me how far I have come since those early days.

Regards to your mum @phillau43 and no doubt you are passing on pearls of wisdom from on here. Is she tech savvy and could she use the forum herself? Otherwise remember the mantra 'ice, ice elevate, baby!!'
Glad to hear you sound similar to me though I'm blessed with school holidays to recuperate more so really feel for you full time workers! I managed a strange'lie on the bed' shoe lace tying exercise as I do struggle, possibly a soy hologram thing based on the 90 degree rule we were given, to bend enough to get the right leg for shoe laces and toe nail painting ( though I'm not sure if that one is something you've encountered ) have a good day

Well now you ask @phillau43 !! Actually you use your grabber to hold the brush and with a steady hand and a magazine on the floor just in case of any spillage you are good to go!! It took some practice and it's not the neatest I've ever done but have managed it a couple of times but soak had the occasional assistance from the hubby. Don't think the sane could happen with scissors or nail clippers though! Innovation is the way forward!:idea::yahoo:

Just thought I'd give a 4 month (well it will be 4 months this week) update. I'm feeling fit, healthy and today was my first full day at school after the summer break and colleagues commented on how well I looked and how good my walking was compared to 6 weeks ago. All I can say it slow and steady, don't rush things and listen to your body without comparing yourself to others and you'll get there. There were times I questioned whether I'd feel 'normal' (free of chronic pain, severe limping before surgery and hobbling after and the blues at various stages but I just wanted to say it gets better and I'm feeling really good today and know that even if I have a bad day there'll be a good one close by:happydance:

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Thanks for sharing an update. You seem to be doing very well and have a healthy attitude in regard to recovery.
May it only get better! Best wishes for your first week back to work. :)
@ChrissyW

Just dropped by to say I have a jiggly mid thigh ache and I'm putting it down to working full time again and like @phillau43 said, brain says yes body says really!!! Just wanted a quiet place to moan so here I am! Xx

Hi @ChrissyW
Is it like end of stem pain....that general area? If so I've read that can last up until a year post op, possibly even longer. I had it on ocassion and seemed to notice it most often if I sat on my sofa, legs extended onto the coffee table. Noticed it other times as well though. If it's really bothering you, haul out the good ol ice :ice: and put your feet up. Hope you have a nice evening!

Just thinking...another consideration if the weather is changing in your area, some do notice an increase in
pain and stiffness over the first year or two also as the bone adapts and grows around the prosthesis.

Thanks @Layla . It dies feel somewhat end of stem area but glad you popped by and reassured me. Weird how the mind goes in to over drive! Thanks again :angel: (you!)

Happy Five Month Anniversary, Chrissy!
I hope the temps have warmed and you're not scraping car windows daily...yet anyway. Brrr!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend! :flwrysmile:
@ChrissyW

Thank you @Layla doesnt time fly! It's been wet and windy all week but at least only one morning scraping ice from the car window! Ice, October temps at 1deg what is going on!
Have a wonderful weekend xx

Happy 5 month dearest hipster sis and fellow traveler! Probs the second best part about recovery after, well, recovering has been the journey ( both real and imagined) with you @ChrissyW , and @Mayhip8 , and our @Calgal . Its been a pleasure seeing our single hippy sisters prosper but we gotta shake our pompoms one more time for Ms. Mayhip.
Stay safe and warm across the pond.
Love, hugs and a shake, shake, shake!

Happy 5 month dearest hipster sis and fellow traveler! Probs the second best part about recovery after, well, recovering has been the journey ( both real and imagined) with you @ChrissyW , and @Mayhip8 , and our @Calgal . Its been a pleasure seeing our single hippy sisters prosper but we gotta shake our pompoms one more time for Ms. Mayhip.
Stay safe and warm across the pond.
Love, hugs and a shake, shake, shake!

Thank you @ahipgma. I feel blessed to have gained the friendship of yourself, @Calgal and @Mayhip8 , as well as other lovely people on here, especially our supportive @Layla . Looking forward to our Hawaii trip and the coconut costumes! Maybe we could make better use of the coconuts if they were filled with a refreshing drink instead (bug not at the same time as that would be weird ) have a lovely Sunday. I have a lesson to get really spot on for a formal observation on Tuesday, where I have to and all the film plans the day before! I can only do my best so as long as it gives the students what they need and we all enjoy it that's good with me. It's about influences on Parliament to make or change laws along with the impact on public opinion and what the media do to influence both Parliament and the public, quite a topical issue really to deliver in 50mins!! Xx:wink::loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts