THR ChrissW's recovery thread

Sounds like a jolly good question to me!

andrex wet wipes
@Calgal did you know that these wet wipes are now high on the 'bad boy' list of pollution?
They are NOT biodegradable and stay in the sewage for years creating great big 'bergs' (yuk) that have to be chopped out in the sewer by men with shovels! (double yuk!)

wet wipe berg-horz.jpg

See this

And they also have micro plastic in them!

I used them all the time but having learned all this, I now make my own by getting a tub of aqueous cream and smearing a small dob of it on the toilet tissue. This makes the TP stronger and just as 'user-friendly' as the wipes. They are also much cheaper!

aqueous cream.JPG

I used them all the time but having learned all this, I now make my own by getting a tub of aqueous cream and smearing a small dob of it on the toilet tissue. This makes the TP stronger and just as 'user-friendly' as the wipes. They are also much cheaper!
If anyone from the US and probably Canada is trying to find this, I could only find it on Amazon. I think it’s another one of those wonderful British products that hasn’t made it here yet.

@Josephine great idea! Wish I had known that trick with the aqueous a few weeks back. It even sounds more soothing than commercial wipes. I've heard the eco problems with wipes so kept use to a minimum just after op. Needs must? :shrug:

It IS more soothing! Very much more. Sad thing was, I stocked up on the WW just before I found about about these and just before the WW hit the fa, so to speak, on the media. Now I have around 80 packets of the things and don't know what to do with them! (Suggestions in a plain brown envelope, please!)

I read a study that found Scott’s flushable wipes were as biodegradable as toilet paper. That was the only brand. The rest were awful. I don’t know if you have them in the U.K. but I bought them on Amazon.

My 'research' shows this is true but they're not available in the UK

Well just caught up on the conversation my student started but I managed quite well with just good old loo roll.
I was just stopping by here to ask about anyone's changing thigh pain. Now your muscles are repairing do you feel different pain I different places? Mine now seems to have moved to the side of the thigh and is more noticeable at night or if I tense the thigh for any reason

I was just stopping by here to ask about anyone's changing thigh pain. Now your muscles are repairing do you feel different pain I different places? Mine now seems to have moved to the side of the thigh and is more noticeable at night or if I tense the thigh for any reason
Certainly it was the case with me...and many other recovering hippies.
I remember one group of lovely hippys describing the "Secret Lives of the Travelling Pains"
By the time you begin to get concerned over one particular issue, it often subsides and another new pain can pop up elsewhere.
Especially as we get more active...and it often doesn't surface until we have stopped!

Totally agree!

The best description of this I’ve come across is “Whack-a-Mole”.

It stops or lessens in one place and overnight it moves to another place. For me, it’s constantly changing. Not every night but often.

@Mojo333 glad of your response. Reassuring to hear many hippys have the tes elling pains and what you say makes sense as I started the phased return last week so each day is different, unlike my days pre phased return. @ceezee live your description of whack a mole as, earlier in my recovery, there were definetly times when, due to the spasms in the thigh muscle at that time, I often felt like I could quite happily whack my leg!!:loll:

@ChrissyW I'm so sorry I never responded to your answers. That was shameful of me! But here they are at last!

2. when it wakes me through the night to what I would say is about a 6 as a sharp pain that once I move it subsides to around 2.
Once I start walking about this goes away to a simple ache
Okay. Not bad at 8 weeks
3. I have been prescribed paracetamol and Tramadol. For the last week take 2x500mg 4 times a day and I take 2 x50mg Tramadol with the dose at night.
Also been prescribed mirtozapine as sleep has been really bad from start.
Very good!
4. Icing much less, only when needed now as sometimes, if my thigh is also cramping the ice makes it worse. When I do need to ice it is for at least 50 mins and I leave it in place until the gel sachet has warmed completely and is no longer feeling cold.
Okay, gotcha!
5. Only elevating at night, but not real elevation for swelling any more as there isn't any.
okay
6. Activity is generally walking and basic household chores. General walking around the house and popping out to a coffee shop with hubby a couple of times. Since Weds I have started driving but that has only been 2 short journeys so far. I went to the supermarket with my husband and walked steadily round, which I have for the last 3 Saturday's, no more than an hour in the shop. I'm due to start a phased return to work this week and am going to negotiate the reduced hours and daily activity tomorrow
Excellent!

Since my thigh started hurting more I've stopped all PT/exercises, except
I try walk 3 X 10 mins a day
10 heel slides in bed as these seem to help get my thigh feeling better when I'm woken by it during the night, but before this I did the following 3 times a day;
10 right leg abduction
10 leg raises behind me
5-10 leg lifts to front (these have always been most uncomfortable)
10 gentle squats holding on to solid surface
10 butt squeezes
10 raises up on to toes
I've crossed out all these because, if you remember, we recommend this
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.​

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your Phased Return to work is going well. I'll bet you're happy it's the weekend. :happydance:
Wishing you a good one!
@ChrissyW

Thank you @Layla . The phased return is going fine, I couldn't do more hours and have no idea how some manage. I struggled to sleep last Friday as I was exhausted and yesterday I had to deal with an issue that arise just as I was leaving so ended up staying an extra hour and yesterday evening my legs felt like jelly and this morning I felt like I'd done a month of full time never mind 2 weeks reduced hours!! Glad it is weekend but glad to be around people at work too. Things really positive on the whole, except the randomly travelling thigh aches and pains !!

Aww, sounds a bit draining. Hopefully you can put your feet up and rest this weekend.
It's still early days in the entire scheme of things. You may need to come home and rest after each work day, not doing much else as you continue healing and getting stronger.
I hope your weekend is a peaceful relaxing one, Chrissy. :)
@ChrissyW

Yet another couple of questions.
How long before you can have a good old soak in the bath?
When can you bend over and tie your own shoelaces free of risk?
When can you get tights on?
This last question is for those who have managed this as I'm a dab hand with my helping hand grabber and getting pants on is a doddle now but how the heck do we get tights on without laddering them?:idea:
Thank you in advance to all the bone smart oracles out there!:angel:

How long before you can have a good old soak in the bath?
When can you bend over and tie your own shoelaces free of risk?
When can you get tights on?
First point is, have you had 90 degree restrictions applied? If so, it's about when they have been lifted.

Thanks Josephine, I have the 90 degree restriction and at the 6 week check up the OS said to remember them but not for how long. Reading what others have said in this site it clearly isn't for life but he didn't say exactly when 'normality' and doing things naturally could happen and I don't like breaking rules so was curious. Thanks again :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom