THR ChrissW's recovery thread

ChrissyW

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
good morning everyone. I'm new to this and am now 10 days in to recovery from hip surgery and if I hadn't found this site I don't know what I'd have done because every niggle, ache or concern I have had so far have been answered already by someone on the site and accessing the library information has helped so much. However, now to ask the question I can't seem to find the clear answer to, I have had dissolvable stitches and when I was discharged from hospital I was told I could just remove the dressing after 10 days post discharge and monitor in case the dressing needed changing before. The dressing and wound have been fine, no weeping or redness at all, but I haven't seen the incision at all and have a letter the discharge nurse gave me for the practice nurse at the GPs to check the wound if I wanted. As actually getting to the surgery will be difficult as I can't get over the door lintel do I really need to see a nurse? Should I ask for a home visit?

Hello @ChrissyW - and :welome:

Please will you tell if you've had a hip replacement or some other hip surgery - also which hip it is and the full date of your surgery, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I think that asking for a home visit might be a good idea.
How high is your door lintel? I'm a little confused, because you should have been shown how to negotiate steps before you were discharged from hospital.

Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone who's had a hip replacement:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for the reply and sorry for being waffly. I had total hip replacement on the 4th May. I can manage steps but for some reason I just can't get over the lintel. It might be psychological because it's not high, possibly 2inchs, with a stride but my brain can't relate the movement to walking with 2 sticks or walking up or down stairs.
I'll get in touch with the surgery for a home visit. I'd avoided it not only as getting out of the door is proving difficult but because of an awful experience last week with the receptionist when I asked for pain meds (the hospital were great and gave me 5 days and said I'd be able to get a repeat prescription from the docs) The receptionist had me in tears before eventually setting up a phone appointment thus the apprehension of ringing again but I'll follow your advice and do it.
Thank you

:hi: @ChrissyW and :welome: to the forum.
First days can be anxiety inducing and a bit bewildering as we aren't sure what to expect, and I'm sorry you had an unfriendly experience with the medical staff that makes you hesitant to call them.
I know I was very emotional right after surgery and a very ambivalent staff member had me in tears about a question I asked.
Don't let this stop you from getting them to do their job!
That leg may feel heavy and uncoordinated..we hippys lovingly refer to it as "log leg" and small obstacles can seem daunting.
It will get better and better so just be slow and mindful.
Your leg may feel weak, but that new hip is strong so don't be afraid to get some weight on it. I know I was anxious about that and it was surprising to me that my hip was pretty much good right off. The incision site and sore muscles were the things that had to be worked around.
I hope you have a better day.
Healing hugs:friends:

Thank you for the positive vibes @Mojo333 so glad I'm a member of your hippy community. The log leg as you call it is weird, swollen, especially around my foot and ankle so following the groups advice with using and elevation throughout the day. Have a good day, whatever you are up to.

:ice:, :ice:, and more :ice:
Elevating will also help that swelling.
Try to eat well and nap whenever possible.
All temporary, friend and Well Worth the payoff!
I'm back to life in a big way, and you will be too. Just roll with it right now.
Your body is working hard to heal and there is also of great advice and reassurance here from "those who know":yes:

I really relate to your apprehension. When I had to go to my 2 week follow up appointment, I was a mess. I was standing at the door to my garage, crying and shaking.

Once I finally got myself to go, it was fairly easy. The steps. Getting in the car. No problem. But, wow did I build it up HUGE in my head!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@JennyLynne weird how things that seem so simple become such an issue. Yesterday evening I was describing how it felt to do the heel slide in bed as therapy and all I could relate it to was explaining it like those magicians that stare at objects and make them move with their mind, well that's what it feels like to get my leg going. I keep opening the door and my brain just can't seem to work out how to get over what would normally be a stride (which it obviously can't be now). Lovely to meet so many nice hippys

Hi @ChrissyW
Isn’t a relief to find Bonesmart...
you get so much info before the op & nothing after.. but so much info & support here.
It sounds like you are doing well... I, too, have a big drop from my front door & it was a big hurdle for me the first few weeks... I stood there shaking for a good few minutes before my brain engaged! I found putting one crutch down & one leg & then other crutch and leg worked. Eventually!!

So sorry the Docs receptionist was so unhelpful... they don’t realise how stressful the first few weeks following THR can be..hope you get your home visit.
Take care.. from another Chrissie xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad you joined us.

Please don't allow a receptionists unprofessional attitude stop you from calling the office if you need something. To me, everything felt magnified during the early weeks of recovery. You're hurting, sometimes frustrated and often feeling trapped and bored. You simply want to be further along in recovery. You'll get there. Try to gauge progress weekly, not daily. Take a look back every weekend and see how you've improved from the weekend before.

For the heel slides, try a plastic bag underneath your heels in bed making it easier, as your leg gets used to the movement it will become effortless.
Stop back often, we'd love to offer support and encouragement as you move forward.
Happy Tuesday! :wave:
@ChrissyW

Hi @ChrissyW I found a dressing gown cord really helped me with heel slides, especially when I had log leg. With your front door entry, I remember being in similar situations when I had both a hip surgery and a broken leg at the same time. I would stand there trying to convince myself I could do it but my brain just wouldn't kick in. Almost like a conversation going on in there between the devil and brave one. I would feel like it was so silly I couldn't make myself do it. It's mind over matter really. If you have PT coming in they would be able to help you conquer it. Or if you have someone home with you, have them support you on one side and and crutch it on the other side; you might feel more secure.
:flwrysmile:

The other thing that might help with heel slides is if you put a long belt around your foot and hold the ends and pull a little to bend the knee- it can help remind the muscles at first that they can move and help relearn the leg and the brain. I was taught this for my knee replacements since they do not want to bend much at first as an aid in getting motion back.

leejaa, Carriemay60, Layla, Hoppy Nanny, thank you so much for your support and I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to have brain block with what look like easier tasks, amazing how it's like relearning so many things and making brain and body recoordinate. The log leg is definetly here today, in fact never mind log it feels like I'm pulling the whole forest!! I just keep telling myself onwards and upwards and this is short term and I couldn't have carried on with the pain I was experiencing before. Thanks everyone and happy evening, or day dependant on where you are in this wonderful world xx

Everything you are describing sounds so familiar. When it is your first hip replacement and you don't know what to expect, the roller coaster of emotions----fear, worry, frustration, exhaustion, pain, relief....and many more, can really get to you. I had a very smooth recovery, but even then I was stunned at all of the odd and unusual aches, pains, and questions I had for several months. I remember asking @Mojo333 if she had ever been a "needy question asker" like I felt I was at first. I was so relieved when she said she had been as well.

I had another thought about some of the sensations you were describing, and the trouble making things connect and work. Some of that is likely due to your pain meds, so do be especially careful. I remember the 10-14 day mark as being a time of definite improvement....right where you are now!:loveshwr:

Morning everyone. Managed to get 2 hrs continuous sleep last night and as short as that may sound it felt wonderful as it was proper sleep. Let's see what the day has in store so happy day everyone

Hi @ChrissyW I know what you mean about getting two full hours sleep. It makes you feel so much better. That door step looks as though you are staring into a precipice doesn't it. I am having to wear a leg brace when I venture out but the step is the biggest obstacle.

@Fairydell I think that is why this forum is amazing because trying to explain the ups, downs and all the in betweens to someone who hasn't gone through this is really difficult. It's also my first day home alone, although my wonderful husband prepped the things I will need and has already rung to check I'm ok. It is a scary feeling as I worry about what I'd do if I dropped my walking stick as the grabber won't lift it. Anyway let's see what terrible combination of clothing I can get myself in to that is accessible . Catch everyone later I hope.
Xx

Hi @ChrissyW I hope you coped ok alone today. I am currently wearing a pair of linen trousers... They look like I have slept in them as I have rolled around the sofa most of today. I would be embarrassed to answer the door to anyone wearing them. I suppose I could whip them off and answer the door in my undies :heehee::rotfl:

Hey @Fairydell the day has gone well really except the wasp that came to visit and the fact my cat wanted to eat it!! All I could do was trap it behind the blind, use my grabber to get a spray and then just hope for the best. Clothes wise I too would avoid any public appearances looking like colour coordination and style have never crossed my path. Yoga pants with a loose blouse really don't go together! Husband got home, rescued me from the wasp and I've now just awoken from a nap. Feel really successful having got over this next first hurdle of being on my own . Hope your day was good, apart from rolling around on the sofa (hopefully nothing to do with discomfort?)

Good afternoon :wave: @ChrissyW

The log leg is definetly here today, in fact never mind log it feels like I'm pulling the whole forest!!

Had a chuckle over the comment above. :heehee: Log leg is your brain telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized they don't react. Hopefully you feel it ease a bit each day.

It's good you had two solid hours of sleep last night and squeezed in a nap today. Every little bit helps as our body does it's been healing while we're asleep.

Getting over the hurdle of first day home alone is encouraging. It will help you build confidence as each week gets a little easier than the last. You're doing well...you're on your way :walking:
A peaceful evening to you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks