Chondrontin, glucosomine,Elation and other supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

creblue

Country
United States United States
as i approach my surgery date, June 15, i am confronted with advice from family and friends: Have you tried this, or that?? i am reconciled to my surgery, but a part of me wonders what if i should try another supplement. I have had some pain relief from a combo of chondrontin, glucosomine and hyaluoric acid. comments, please

Hi Creblue I dont know about the medicines, someone will come along with advice for you though. But sounds like you are getting things ready. You will be fine... please let us know how is goes...You will be happy you had the surgery............Your in my prayers..........Kim

I wouldn't worry about it, credblue. You're not going to get any benefits from them before the op anyway. On the assumption that they do actually work, they can take several weeks if not months to accumulate any benefit.

Myself, I am ducbious about them anyway.

Hi Credblue-I have tried all of them for fairly long periods of time over the years. In my late 30s and ealrly 40s the Glucosomine/Condroiton combo really worked for me and allowed me to be very active. However, I took a lot of it over a long period of time to build up. So, on this point, I agree with Jo--it takes a while to build up.
More recently before surgery, I received some quick benefit from hyaluranic acid. However, as I recall, hyaluranic acid acts more like a pain blocker, and I actually hurt myself shortly thereafter trying to do more than my body was capable of doing. So, sometimes, pain is a good thing! At that time, my arthritis was advanced and I was bone on bone, and if that is your predicament, I think nothing would really help.
I have also asked about these types of supplements post surgery. I included in my inquiry, questions about legal supplements to build muscle as well as minerals (because my implants are MOM). One short answer on some of the supplements you identified is that I no longer have arthritis; therefore, I don't need them. But the OS's broader answer was that there are simply not many studies on these things and therefor they don't know that they have any benefit.
I'm not sure that answers your questions, but it has been a subject of interest for me because I've taken a lot of supplements and tried a lot of alternative remedies over the years. I am a fan of alternative remedies. However, when you have advanced arthritis and your joints are bone on bone, surgery appears to provide the only real solution.
Tom

My OS laughed!!! You are sooooo ready for the surgery!!! :)

Hi creblue
I went to my pre op testing at the hospital yesterday and I was told to stop all chondrontin, glucosomine at least a week before surgery which is June 9. I have been taking them for years and I don't really think they are of much use with bone on bone.

Creblue, these folks all mean well but they don't really understand your situation. Just smile and say thanks and go on about your planning for the one thing that WILL make a lasting difference - your surgery. You have made the right decision.

I AM bone on bone in my left hip. Big pain today, so i am ready. i go for pre op tests june1. Thanks to you all.

God bless you, hon.....it will be much better very soon!

I AM bone on bone in my left hip. Big pain today, so i am ready. i go for pre op tests june1. Thanks to you all.

I used the suppliments and they didn't prevent or slow down my need for a hip replacement. You are bone on bone so they would not work for you anyway.....they are suppose to help with cartilage.

I agree with Jamie..just smile politely at people and say thank you then continue with your plans for a hip replacement. I am 9 weeks out and so happy I have a new hip that works. LOL well, almost works..still healing.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties