Checkup at Five Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw my OS today. I'm at eight months. A resident came in and moved my leg every which way and had me tell him all about the pain. He said the knee seemed alright. He left and then came in to tell me they were going to get X-rays since I was still having pain.

After X-rays, my doctor came in. He asked what's up with my leg, and when I said I didn't know, he said "we're just going to have to go ahead and amputate!" I said, "Oh no, it's just fine!" He said the X-rays looked good. No sign of loosening. He moved the leg all around and up and down and said things seemed just right. I showed him where it hurts below and medial to the knee and also right on the tibia at the base of the knee. When he pulled the knee laterally, it hurt in the middle.

He thinks it's soft tissue problems and said to take the Celebrex twice a day for two weeks rather than once a day. I said I have to take it also because I have arthritis in my hands. He looked and said "Oh, I see you have some arthritis!" I have a stuck out bony place at the place where my thumbs meet the wrists. He said they have a surgery where they take a tendon from the forearm and put it in to pad the bad area. He said it's a long recovery, but helps a lot. I was so glad to hear there is something they can do if I have to have something done. He said with my knee pain worse for a few steps when I first start walking, then getting worse after walking a while and no pain when sitting that those things also indicate soft tissue caused pain.

He prescribed Voltaren Gel to use once a day at night. I asked if it would be better to exercise more if I had to use pain medication after, and he said no. He said it's best to just do moderate exercise so it doesn't interfere with my daily activities.

I asked if he took fat out of the knee because I'm able to see blood vessels that I couldn't see as much before. He said, "Yes, we did take fat out. Do you want us to put it back in?" I just wish they'd gone ahead and taken fat from many more areas. :hehe:

He moved my left leg (opposite the surgical leg) around to test my hip. He said I had good movement and that my pain is likely soft tissue there, too. He said since I'm still having problems with one leg that it's probably putting stress on the hip. He said if we thought it was the joint, it would take an MRI to see. He gave me a sheet demonstrating stretching exercises to do.

I'm to go back to see him in 8 weeks. Thank goodness he's so darn cute or there would be nothing good in these problems at all!:rotfl:

Pat! Love your OS's sense of humor!! Glad you're doing so well!!! Keep up the great recup!!! :thmb:

Hey Pat please make that a last option i know you will but when they mess with tendons....ugh.i had a lateral release and to me it hurt............I hope the medicine he gave you works..........take are and may sure you rest............here's a big hug........good job tho with the rom...............)

Pat....so glad you are doing better! Keep it up! So is your OS single?:whis:.....I am.:evil:

OOOH, Cindy, I'm gonna tell Junior! And no, sorry, he's not....well, I don't know, I'm too old to ask. :rotfl:

what a cute OS, Pat. Like his sense of humour!

I read on some other thread about a slowing of recovery brought about by things unrelated to the knee. I looked back at old emails and saw that I'd written at six weeks, "Seeing how much pain my daughter is in every evening with her RSD of her leg tears me apart."

Also, right before six weeks, my mother in law's assisted living home told us that she had to be moved to a nursing home. She was deep into Alzheimer's disease and I knew that would be the end of her life in a way. She'd lived there for nine years and everyone knew her. She liked to push her wheelchair with her feet to go sit in the front with all the other familiar people. I knew once she moved that she wouldn't know where she was and she would never be able to learn her way around. The move was heartbreaking. She kept saying, "I'm not sick, I don't need to be in the hospital. I want to go home." She can neither hear us nor understand and now spends most of her time sleeping or chanting the same sounds over and over.

These things probably had plenty to do with my depression which I've been blaming totally on the drugs.

Pat i'm so sorry about your mother-in-law. That would be a great source of depression in me for sure.

But glad you have a cute OS. I have 3 really cute doctors, both orthopedic surgeons. Sure helps to make things better.
Dealing with soft tissure problems does suck though. But it sure sounds as if your surgeon is helping you a lot with them.
judy

Almost ten months now. I went to the OS today. Saw a resident or something today. He touched the exact painful spot. Funny how OSs have that talent. He said leg movement was good. He thinks its bursitis. He said to ice (especially with a paper cup of solid ice, which I just hate), exercise, use anti-inflammatories (Celebrex for me), and use the Voltaren gel I have. He said I should continue to improve. He said I could wait a few minutes to see my OS if I wished, but I said it wasn't necessary. So I don't have to go back until my two year anniversary unless there's a problem.

I realized a few weeks ago what was causing the groin pain. It's caused by getting into our pickup truck. It has a running board step, but I guess it's a bit too high. When we were in WalMart after several other stops, I said I couldn't get into the truck one more time. So hubby bought a little stepstool and he puts it down for me to get into the truck and then picks it up and puts it in the back seat.

The other day at the grocery store, he drove up close to pick me up, then he got the stool for me, then he pushed the cart to it's parking place. A woman came up and handed me the stool and said what a gentleman he is. lol It's so nice to be spoiled. I don't know why I need the extra step now, getting into trucks never bothered me before, even with our big truck.

I just remembered that the doctor said the bursitis could be treated with a cortisone injection. I can't have one because cortisone raises my already elevated eye pressure (even cortisone cream.)

Hey there Pat,
Sorry about the bursitis. It does seem like it is always something doesn't it. I think it is very nice that your hubby thought of the litle step stool. I hope the ice helps with the pain.

My sister has a little stool to help her get in and out of her son's van. But she won't let him put it out for her. Instead, she has a string on it and when she's safely seated, pulls it in behind her! When she wants to get out, she just lowers it down again.

We got a rope to tie to the stool today. I hope I can get it in and out easily. It would make it lots quicker and easier for sure.

Aw Pat (vegas mama) lol great hubby you got there..........I hope you feel better soon.........Just have him hoist or thru you on up there.........) kidding........that high truck will do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom