THR Checking in

susan12369

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone, just checking in! Had right THR on Tuesday morning and was released from the hospital yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. It's been great to be home, and I've been doing well using crutches (have a walker too, but am liking the crutches better). So far feeling like I'm doing really great. Was taking minimal oxy (5 mg) at hospital, pain was really quite fine, and so far have just taken the oxy before bed and this morning before pt. I'm really pleased with the pain level, so much less than pre-surgery! Strength in my operated leg is getting better each day!

Great News.
Slow and easy wins the race.
Take Care.
Joe.....

Welcome to the other side! As Joe says - the slow and steady approach works every time. I look forward to following your journey.

Here's a bit of reading for you to refer to:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Fantastic! Good to hear such progress. Everyone kept reminding me to ice and elevate to keep down the swelling.

Thanks everyone, keeping it elevated and iced, and getting up to walk a bit every hour or so. Happy with progress so far!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Glad to hear you're doing so well!

Great news about your recovery. It's easy to overdo things when you start feeling better, so just be careful. Your body will still be healing for a while.

Still doing well, had pt this morning and she told me to reduce the icing and stop sleeping with a small pillow behind my knees. Had me do several things laying down, standing and sitting. They'll be back Friday for more.

Walking is going well, and this morning I took a shower by myself. My dad has been with me since surgery but will be going home Thursday morning so I'll be on my own then. I can manage pretty much everything on my own now, except probably laundry in the basement, but he did a load this morning so I should be good for a while now.

All in all I'm really pleased with my progress, as it's been just one week today.

Hi Susan,
It is still very early days for you so I would carry on with the icing and using a pillow for a while yet. The ice packs definitely help with pain and swelling . You sound as though you are doing extremely well but anything that helps your recovery shouldn't be discontinued yet.
Best wishes,
Diane

Hi Bonesister Susan. Yep, one week anniversary today and after yesterday, I've already joined the "Over Did It" Club. (I only walked 1/2 mile according to Fitbit -- over the whole day!) Got to see my 4 inch incision for the first time today (posted a picture) and its much better looking than my knees were! My PT saw me this morning and is very pleased. Abduction is still the hardest and most painful. The heel slides brought me to tears during my knee PT but I can already bend my knee as far as that prosthetic will allow so I'm good there. Going out for one short walk to the mailbox this afternoon but only because its supposed to rain for the next three days and I may not get out much at all. Good luck for continuous improvement!

she told me to reduce the icing and stop sleeping with a small pillow behind my knees.
Based on what? I wouldn't stop any of this. Icing is a natural pain killer. The pillow behind your knees eases sleeping on your back.

Based on what? I wouldn't stop any of this. Icing is a natural pain killer. The pillow behind your knees eases sleeping on your back.

She said the ice doesn't let as much blood flow, which helps healing. And she said the pillow under my knees shortens the muscles making it harder to stand upright.

I'm messaging my surgeon to get their input on both questions.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Hi Bonesister Susan. Yep, one week anniversary today and after yesterday, I've already joined the "Over Did It" Club. (I only walked 1/2 mile according to Fitbit -- over the whole day!) Got to see my 4 inch incision for the first time today (posted a picture) and its much better looking than my knees were! My PT saw me this morning and is very pleased. Abduction is still the hardest and most painful. The heel slides brought me to tears during my knee PT but I can already bend my knee as far as that prosthetic will allow so I'm good there. Going out for one short walk to the mailbox this afternoon but only because its supposed to rain for the next three days and I may not get out much at all. Good luck for continuous improvement!

Keep pacing yourself! I haven't seen my incision yet, nurse coming Thursday to remove my dressing

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Glad to hear you are doing good. I'm 12 days post op and I can say the ice pack is one of the best things I've been doing. Plus I can put it on my head to cool down form the Norco sweats. I personally would/do listen to the gals on this page. I have followed everything they have said and feel great. I'm switching back and forth between 1 crutch and a cane. I'm guessing this is the time we can really mess ourselves up because we feel so much better. We have to keep in mind at the end of the day, that our leg was just cut off and reattached. ha-ha Keep on keeping on!!!!

@bones218 agree, advice here has been great, glad you're doing so well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked with my surgeon who said to keep doing the ice and the pillow beneath my knees while laying on my back. Glad I checked. Lots of folks out there have lots of advice, as I'm sure you all know, but I'll keep trusting my surgeon [emoji3]

Lots of folks out there have lots of advice, as I'm sure you all know, but I'll keep trusting my surgeon
Sounds like your surgeon recommends the BoneSmart method anyway. He's a keeper!

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since surgery and I am feeling great, stronger every day. Today at pt I was switched to using just one crutch, getting up without pushing off, and even did stairs the "normal" way (though I was told not to do it while I'm alone). Felt great! Lots of walking, over a mile each day. Lately I've been taking half of a 5mg oxy before bed, and that's it. Last night I tried going to bed without it and just couldn't get comfortable. After a few hours I finally got up and took half a pill and then was able to get some rest!

In home nurse and pt are both discharging me at the end of the week so I'll start outpatient pt next week.

All in all I'm feeling very positive about my recovery [emoji3]

Wow, @susan12369, you are doing great! 4 weeks for me on Tuesday too, but I am not doing as well, although okay. I am doing my PT exercises daily and swimming but my hip is still rather weak. I am going to have surgery on my right hand in 12 days so I hope I'll be walking unaided by then. If necessary, I'll have to use the cane on my left side. Good luck with the other hip!

Hi Susan.
Your recovery is indeed very good.
Do you need to have the other hip replaced? If you do then why not get it sorted as quick as possible so you can get on with life and work.
Joe......

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom