THR Checkin at about two months

CKayakerBridgey

Country
United States United States
It’s been a trip since my 11/1 THR surgery at HSS in Manhattan NYC, I’ll say that much. First few days went well. Went home and passed out the next morning. I live alone and luckily had just unlocked the front door because I knew the PT person was coming. I knew I was going down and tried to lean across the kitchen counter and will consciousness. It didn’t work. I woke up on the floor and self assessed to see if I could scootch on my butt to the bedroom for my cell phone. I did feel some cruchie in my ribs but kept going. I immediately called my good friend Andy. Four folks helped me.
After my friend Trish and the PT got there; along with my friend Andy who I had on the phone,(She’s a longtime friend, another PT and general goddess) and the doc on call from my Surgeons office on the visiting PTs phone — these four amazing people called 911 and talked me into the ER. I was objecting and thought I was fine, threw in the towel, and of course immediately tried to snatch it back, at one point getting up to leave. The PT had one simple question. “Where are you going to go? That seemed to snap me out of it and I got on the ambo gurney. Thank the whatever higher power there may be, full body CT showed my new hip was intact, but I did fracture three ribs. Right now after observation at the local hospital I’m being admitted for impacted bowels. Things can only go up from here, or at least I’m going to keep looking up and forward. I’ve had both knees done at once in 2017, and the first hip in 2015 all at NYU Langone. I also had a big toe arthoplasty for Halux Ridgidous in 2013 at Hospital for Joint Diseases. I’m officially bionic. More tomorrow. Thanks for reading.
CKayakerBridgey

Oh, my stars!!!:flabber: that is awful.
Broken ribs, how miserable.
No Coughing, Hiccuping, Laughing, or breathing deeply. Jeeez! On Top of THR!
And The Bowel Issue.... Bless you, for real.
Glad you are back at the hospital.
You need the attention so they can get you back on track before you go home.
Sending healing hugs:angel:

I would like to leave you our Recovery Guidelines... you could peruse this when you are bored, maybe.
Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You certainly chose “the road less taken” for your recovery journey. I guess the good news is that although it may be a bit bumpier and take a little longer, your road will get you there. Let the hospital staff get you tuned up and ready to go again, take your time and all the help you need from your circle of friends and the prayers and caring from the BoneSmart community and you will get a comfortable, active life back. Blessings

Welcome to recovery. You certainly had a rough start and it had to be a frightening as you felt yourself fainting, knowing you were alone in your home! It sounds like many loving caregivers came to your rescue. I hope after all of this you're doing much better. Please update when you're feeling up to it. We're here for support.
Best Wishes!
@CKayakerBridgey

Good afternoon everyone, Thanks for all the kind and wise comments. I’m finally starting to feel a bit like myself. The last few weeks were about starting PT and pain management. Glad to have made it through the last four weeks. The hip is very good, and just this week I am able to breath without rib pain which makes me really relish the deliciousness of pain free moments! I can walk around the house without a cane now. I also walked for 20 min Sunday and two 15 min sessions the day before. The PT exercise sessions are really waking up my balance and muscular control of the right leg THR. In fact in some ways my balance on this leg is better than the left THR. I’ll assume it’s due to the STAR approach and preservation of the Piriformis muscle. The fatigue is still an issue and sleeping can be challenging. Time to get up and move around. More soon. Thanks to everyone that’s sharing I appreciate being in this with you all.

Thanks for the update. You seem to be doing very well!
I don't know if you're into taking supplements at all, but you may want to consider Magnesium which some feel helps with muscle relaxation and nerves as well as promoting healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)
An article on Magnesium from our Library-
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/
Great progress, keep up the good work!
@CKayakerBridgey

Hi everyone, I had Posterior STAR approach RTHR on 11/1/23, so I’m in the middle of my 8th recovery week. Milestone yesterday, YEA! I walked 2.1 miles and didn’t need the cane very much. I’ve added 5 to 10 minutes on my stationary bike. That adds a bit of mobility and alleviates bit of stiffness, but does irritate my ribs. (After I got home from surgery on 11/4,I passed out & fell in the AM and fractured 4 ribs, luckily the hip was fine.)
My 4 rib fractures are also slowly getting better but they say Hi abruptly every once in a while.
I am starting to feel really inpatient and frustrated with this slow process and gaining weight. I really find it impossible to “diet,” during recovery as I crave the calories— I guess needed for healing. (I did need to go on a low residue diet due to bowel impaction after I fell down and was admitted to the hospital for syncope, so that didn’t help with a healthy diet.)
I plan to get back on track for the new year with healthy foods. Also, in my follow up surgical visit the doc said to give up Tylenol and NSAIDs in addition to my giving up the opioids, nerve pain pills and muscle relaxers which I did back in mid Nov. as these were the culprits for my syncope.)
Overall I feel good but still get pretty fatigued and I need a lot of sleep - like 10-11 hours. When I try to ween off to my normal 8 hrs I feel more fatigue.
Welp, I’m going to go walk at half time. Go Ravens!
All the best to my fellow hippies. I’m a four time winner with two hips and two knees so I’m bionic now, lol.
Bridget

@CKayakerBridgey

Thanks for sharing an update!

Please notice that I've merged your newest post into your original 2023 THR recovery thread. We ask that you have just one recovery thread for several reasons:
  • It keeps all your recovery information in one place, making it easier for us to review your history before we provide advice.
  • If you have multiple threads, you will miss posts and advice left for you in your original thread, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. You may want to Bookmark this thread in your browser to make it easier to find.

I've also updated the thread title to the one you used for your newest post.

A good update!!!
While you're working on your nutrition, be sure to get some protein with every meal - we somewhat older folk need more than youngsters do in order to build muscle, and evidence suggests we do better with it spread across the day (which also nicely slows absorption of those carbs we all seem to crave in fall and winter... some of us must have bear DNA!!! :loll:)
May the new year bring great healing!

Wow, you had a bit of a bumpy ride with the broken ribs, fainting and all.
Thankfully things are looking up. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Best Wishes in the New Year!
@CKayakerBridgey

Good day Hippie teamies,
Here's my Update at 15 weeks.
1. I Can’t loose weight but read some articles on Bone Smart and I’m going to stop worrying about it.
2. I think that I eat when I’m fatigued instead of resting (period full stop) thinking it will make the fatigue go away. So I rest and keep eating until the fatigue goes away. Funny, right? Lets see if I can break the habit.
3. Walking 2 miles every other day, (about 6 miles per week) at a pop but increasing frequency last week by two days more (4 miles) even if the pace is slower, pushes me into the pain zone. ( I ditched the cane a few weeks ago.)
4. I go on vacation for 10 days in Belize (4 month mark) on 3/1/24 to 3/10/24. I’ve also decided to stop worrying about my fitness and accept that some days I’ll be resting on the beach if I can’t do the planned activities for our group.
5. I’ve been battling feeling bad and lazy when I read success stories like “I was squatting half my body weight at 4 weeks” and metrical stories like that — I’m an ex athlete so I’m competitive and looking for comparative context. In reading here I see the error of my ways as in short everyone is different.

I’ll keep it short. Thank you all for sharing your stories. I’m sending everyone healing vibes and laughter where you can find it

All the best, Bridget (for context I am 61 and now have both knees, both hips and a fused big toe with plate and 5 screws.) I also broke four ribs about 14 weeks ago when I got home and passed out the next morning falling down after bouncing off the granite counter top. So in reality I really do feel lucky but that pesky drive for short term results that I call will to happen I.e., to ride bike, kayak and easily go up stairs has me reading all those miracle stories and concluding that I’m lazy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom